Country
    American Samoa

BBA Treatment for good!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi there,

I am wondering if it is possible to eliminate BBA from a low-tech aquarium completely so that it will not appear again? I've read online some treatments that involve whole-tank dosing, spot-treating with using concentrations of H2O2 and Flourish Excel but could not seem to find accounts where the BBA disappears indefinitely. Doing more reading, it seems that BBA thrives and takes advantage of fluctuations in CO2 levels which in my case would be water changes but with this treatment it should get rid of all traces of BBA?
    I guess bottom line is, after using this treatment aggressively and nothing new is added to the system such as plants/ fish/ equipment is there any way a new population can enter?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: BBA Treatment for good!

I don't believe it can be totally and complete eliminated unless you keep the water column in the tank in a really great condition.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Country
    American Samoa

Hi,
    Thank you for the reply. Can you elaborate on a way to keep the water column in "great condition?" Should I keep dosing a high concentration of H2O2 into the water column after spot treatments?

Feedback Score
    Country
    American Samoa

So from the lack of replies, I am guessing that there is no such thing as a tank actually free of BBA? Even a newly setup tank with new equipment, tissue-culture plants and no introduced fish will somehow get BBA?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

It certainly seems to be the case. If you can set up a clean tank with new equipment, tissue culture plants, no life stocks and use only control source of water, you may be able to prolong the invasion of the dreaded algae. Do experiment and let us know your findings.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?