Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Rescape 2 ft tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Read a few rescape experiences and got some really good advices in this forum. But I needed to ask a few questions specific to my situation.

I intend to keep the substrate in my existing tank when I rescape. The substrate is around 1 year old only. I also intend to change all hardscape to something new.

Is it wise to do the above, keeping the substrate, and topping up with new ones if insufficient?

Wary about possible algae transfer, which was a pain in the a** when I first started this tank.

I have moving livestock and will house them in a pail while I do this. After I complete my rescape, should I pour in the water that is in the pail into the tank? Will there be potential transfer of unwanted stuff like algae spores etc?

And how do I keep my old media 'fresh' during this 1-2 weeks of rescape?

Thanks

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Rescape 2 ft tank

Lovely tank. Nice foreground!

If you substrate is only a year old, even if there is base fertilizer, it should be fine. If you are using aquasoil type of substrate, you'll probably need to check how compacted they have become. Topping up new substrate if the current level is compacted would be a good idea.

Algae can get into your tank in many ways, not just from old substrate. Your plants, your livestocks too can be a risk. So I wouldn't worry too much about it.

If you want to keep your filter media and to have to do a complete restart, you can run that filter in the pail that you are keeping the livestock during the re-scaping exercise.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Finally rescaped my tank. Everything went well at first but somehow the water became blurry. The last tank I had this, I blackout the tank for 3-4 days and it was cleared. I did the same this time, 3 days the 1st time and 5 days the 2nd time. Both times failed and the water didn't clear entirely.

I was wondering if I should continue to blackout again? I'm worried that if I blackout too long, my plants will be effected. I've got hair grass, Crypt, Buceps and moss.

Moving livestock at about 15 of them.

Also, I have black paper covering 3 panels of my tank. Front panel I left it for viewing. When I blackout, I didn't cover the front panel. Slight light from my hall and sunlight from balcony still get through.

1. Should I blackout longer?
    2. During this longer blackout, should I turn on light occasionally for the plants? If yes, how long?
    3. Should I also cover the front glass panel to ensure full blackout?
    4. Should I clean my external filter sponge before the blackout?

Btw, this is a 4-5 weeks tank and bio filter setup.

Asking for any advise please. Thank you!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

What you have seems to be a case of cloudy water. Do a search in the forum for this.

It will not be necessary for a black out as that's more of a algae treatment. Usual treatment includes water change, filter management and if necessary, adding a UV filter.

Cheers,

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by benny View Post
    What you have seems to be a case of cloudy water. Do a search in the forum for this.

It will not be necessary for a black out as that's more of a algae treatment. Usual treatment includes water change, filter management and if necessary, adding a UV filter.

Cheers,
    I've searched the forum and if it's green water, it's algae. And it's Green!! Anyway, this is my 4th day in a black out. The water is improving. I'll be removing the black out today and hopefully the condition stays.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Yes. There are two types of cloudy water. White and green. One is bacteria and the other is algae.

Good luck with your fight!

Cheers,

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yes. There are two types of cloudy water. White and green. One is bacteria and the other is algae.

Good luck with your fight!

Cheers,
    After removing on the 5th day, water was 80% clear. I kept the light on for 4 hrs a day. The next day, it started getting cloudy again. Today is the 3rd day I removed blackout, water is back to cloudy-greenish. I don't know what to do anymore...

Should I blackout longer? I've started dosing Excel cause I read it can kill algae too. Does Excel help to clear dust algae?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

The easiest solution is to use an inline UV filter. Quick and easy.

Cheers,

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

The easiest solution is to use an inline UV filter. Quick and easy.

Cheers,
    I'm thinking along this line too. Just afraid it'll kill my good bacteria which I've been cultivating for the past 1 month.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by carcraze View Post
    I'm thinking along this line too. Just afraid it'll kill my good bacteria which I've been cultivating for the past 1 month.
    It wont. Because the UV filter is placed after your filter. The nitrifying bacteria in the filter will not be affected. This also means that only cleaned water goes into your UV filter. Much easier to maintain. Less gunk.

Cheers,

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Inline UV works but nonetheless before will not kill your Filter's BB.

I use a water pump and diy attached a sponge filter. The pump outlet diy attached to inline UV hanging outside tank and the outlet goes back to tank.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Did it with an in tank UV tube. Water is clear now, but I felt some of my Cory and Tetra suffered. Majority survived though.

Thanks for the advise!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

How did the cories and tetra suffered? Is the UV type shielded? Do you have more photos?

Cheers,

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

How did the cories and tetra suffered? Is the UV type shielded? Do you have more photos?

Cheers,
    Yea it's shielded via a half shell cover over the tube. Light flow out slightly from the sides.

Not all Cory and Tetra suffered. My Bandit & Peppered survived. Only Panda was effected.

My Cardinals all survived and happy. 2/4 of my Silvertip effected.

Apparently I didn't take any pics of the tank when the UV tube was in

*slap on forehead*