Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Setting up natural pond on balcony

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi everyone. My balcony has a built-in planter that is currently covered with wooden planks. I was thinking about building a natural pond in the planter. It’s about 1.5ft deep, 1.5ft wide, and maybe 10ft long. Wondering if this is allowed in Singapore. Anyone tried this idea?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Setting up natural pond on balcony

Any photos to show us? It might be possible if you can manage the electrical to run filtration.
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

How do i post a photo?

I was thinking of not using any filters. Just let evaporation and rainwater do its thing. Overplant it and understock it with fish. Just let it develop its own ecosystem. I live on the 38th floor so no need to worry about mosquitos.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Here’s a photo.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I also cannot see a photo but presumably he's referring to the DBSS planter/balcony

Planter-box-decking-5.jpg

I'm just a novice aquarist but it's a good idea. Also, I came across this article: https://www.asiaone.com/lifestyle/do...et-you-trouble

Installation of cast-iron or marble bathtub, spa pool or fish tank exceeding 600kg

PHOTO: Mothership.sg

Aside from bathtubs, the weight of the standing fish tanks (i.e. inclusive of fish tanks inhabitants, water, sand and accessories included), supported on a 4-legged rack), must not exceed 600kg per room.
    The maximum dimensions of the fish tank should not exceed more than 2m (6.5ft) length x 1m (3.2ft) width, with water depth must be kept within 0.5m (1.6ft)
    What this means to you?

Choose lightweight materials such as Acrylic or Fiberglass instead of marble or cast iron for the bathtub or spa pool, since these materials generally do not exceed 40kg. Remember to email the application to the HDB Branch for approval , prior installing the fish tank.
    Based on your planter dimensions, 1.5*1.5*10 ft, that will be 637 kg