Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Tricky algae in tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, I'm new here and would like to seek advice to tackle my current algae in my nano tank. I'm using Fluval Spec 10 gallon i think and having CO2 injected 3 to 4 days a week, i'm not using timer or anything. Same goes for the light. My plants are growing fine just that I noticed the older leaves seem to melt and drop off quite frequently. New leaves are still growing well though. There are certainly hair algae growing in the tank recently. It was under controlled when I first introduced my Yamato shrimp squad 2 months ago and i think they got lazy and decided to leave the hair algae alone, or at least it's no longer their main source of diet. I noticed the algae started to grow back on the stones, drift wood and even on the snail i had in the tank. For the ferns, beown spots are visible on some of the leaves as well.

My question is, how to I reduced the growth on the algae and how could I retrain the shrimp to feed on them again?

hair.jpg
    Hair algae on drift wood.

Nana_petite.jpg
    Nana petite turns brown, not growing.

fern_brown_leave.jpg
    Brown spots on fern leaves.

Any suggestions?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Tricky algae in tank

How many hours of light per day? How much of your tank is planted? If not heavily planted, 6-7 hours of strong light per day is sufficient. Don't overfeed, do water changes if nitrate level > 20 ppm. You can also black out the tank on alternate days to slowly weaken the algae

I had brown algae (diatoms), GSA and hair algae starting out in my cherry shrimp tank with vallis, DHG and java moss. So i cut back the light from 8 hours to 6 hours of photoperiod separated by 3-4 hours every day. And i black out the tank when i off the lights cuz the left side is facing the balcony sun. Then i scrap the walls with credit card to remove brown algae, GSA and hair. Also use toothbrush and fingers to rub off the hair algae from the leaves. Now the brown algae and GSA is gone and the hair only appears on dying leaves, but thankfully just a few leaves so it's easily managed.

Amano shrimp will only tackle hair algae if they are really hungry

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Best is to eliminate hair algae but since you are new, I won't let you delve in the chemical warfare destruction of these pesky algae.

To control hair algae, reduce light period to 6 hrs. Break the photoperiod into 3hrs ON, 4hrs OFF, 3hrs ON. Must use timer. Monitor plant growth, adjust accordingly.

To retrain the shrimps to eat the algae, stop feeding them food. You will be surprise they can last more than a week without ANY food, including algae.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Fyi, I never fed my cleaning crew consisting of otocinclus, sae, golden algae eater, kuhli loaches and red nose shrimps.

I only feeds my corydoras every 3days with a small amount of pellets and caridinia/neo cardinia shrimps every other day with those powder food for shrimps.

You can see, it's a human mentality we must feed them everyday. They can survive for a wee bit longer without us feeding them. It's a different feeding strategy if you are growing juvenile fauna or prepping them for breeding.

So all these excess food and poo will create a good environment for algae to thrive.