Will BBA do any harm?
    What are the causes of BBA?
    What to do to get rid of BBA?
    How to prevent BBA?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    BBA is black brush algae, a species of red algae. It can grow anywhere in the tank, appearing as small balls of dark hair on the edge of leaves, wood and even all over the substrate.

It's usually a sign of overfertilisation (too much nitrate or phosphate). Only SAEs are known to eat BBA, but if they get to used to fish food, they get lazy. Only way to get them to work is stop feeding for about a week.

I avoid adding anti-algae agents, so no experience with these. As repeated ad nauseum, I recommend adding hornwort (Ceratophyllum demersum, check www.dennerle.de for pix)) or other fast-growing plants to outcompete BBA (and other algae).

Feedback Score
    And to add, u get BBA from plants u bought at LFS already infected with BBA. U cannot eliminate BBA 100% if it's already in ur tank, only suppress them from multiplying by proper tank water maintenance. To eradicate them u need to sterilise and bleach every equipment used by the tank and not to reuse substrate and plants from tank even though no bba grows on them, to be 100% sure. So that shows how difficult to remove them. Once in ur tank no chance removing them except TOTAL overhaul.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yup, once BBA start growing it is quite difficult to remove it. It is said that SAE eats them, but mine doesn't... maybe they are still very young.

BBA is said to thrive with high PO4. My experience confirmed that. All I did was trim the leaves with BBA and reduce PO4. Up to now BBA is under control.[]

BC