Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Are there any freshwater crab for beginners?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Are there any freshwater crab for beginners?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys, I am moving from freshwater fish to freshwater crab.

My tank have been sitting empty (after my last betta fish passed on) with just a few nerite snails in it, water and filter is still currently active and running.

I want to do a revamp and convert it to a simple and drier (easier maintenance) setup and keep some freshwater crabs.

1) Are there any freshwater crabs available in Singapore that I can keep in a simple setup with sands, rocks and driftwoods?

2) Lets say there are no specific species of sand crabs available, can I get alternative crabs and rear them in a sand setup simple paludarium?

3) What type of filter is best? As there will be little water, say 80 dry /20 water ratio, does the filter need enough water to suck in so it can pump out? How do I this to work?

4) Are plants compulsory? I was thinking just sand, rocks, pebbles, and driftwood. Basically re-using my previous freshwater fish tank stuff.

For advise please, newbie in crab setup here really and want to make it work

Re: Are there any freshwater crab for beginners?

Yes, there are several types of beginner-friendly freshwater crabs in Singapore, such as red claw crab (Perisesarma bidens) and vampire crab (Geosesarma sp.). These crabs can be kept in a simple environment with sand, rocks, and driftwood.
    For a simple setup, you can use a small internal filter that can handle the amount of water in the tank.
    Plants are optional for freshwater crabs, but they can provide additional hiding places, aesthetic value, and environmental enrichment for crabs. If you decide to include plants in your setup, consider hardy, low-maintenance species such as anubias, java fern, or moss balls.