Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Some info I found (need to be verified), http://www.canadiangoldfish.com/dyed.htm

Extract:
    "Some fish are dyed through an injection of dye under the epidermis (glassfish and albino cories are usually dyed in this manner), others are dyed by dipping the fish in a detergent, which peels away the slime coat, then dying the epidermis and then putting the fish in another irritating chemical to stimulate the recreation of the slime coat (blue oscars, white-skirt tetras, etc.) Most fish are not dyed by being fed food with dye in it - that won't produce the bright flourescent colours you usually see in dyed fish."

JC

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Not only fish is dyed. For those who is in marine b4, will know that corals and anemone are commonly dyed also.
    http://www.fishtanksandponds.net/set...yed_corals.htm

JC

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    An interesting term is used in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juicing_fish. They called it "Juicing".

See the differences of dyed loach.

Four Botia Modesta-1 dyed red, 1 dyed blue, and 2 natural
    Picture by Ken Childs

JC

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Not that this online petition is of any use, imo. Its a gd indicator that this practise is badly received practically almost every country.
    http://www.petitiononline.com/fishtank/petition.html

JC

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quite a gd writeup. http://www.petfish.net/articles/Misc..._glassfish.php

Extract:
    "To gain the desired tincture, the fish are subjected to a dyeing process in which they are infused with vibrant paints. Misled by the name, 'Painted Glassfish'; (MacMahon, Burgess, 199, one may easily fall under the common misapprehension that these fish are merely painted with dyes. On the contrary, when under MS222 anaesthetic sedation and observed under a binocular microscope, it becomes evident that the dye is not painted on the surface of the fish, but has been injected under the epidermis. Thus, proof exists that Painted Glassfish are physically imbued with many flourescent shades, including 'blue, purple, red, yellow, orange or green, produced by dyes' (MacMahon, Burgess, 199, in order to achieve the popular colour patterns seen in altered fish. A syringe and a needle are used to manually inject each Glassfish at 'various sites over the body' (MacMahon, Burgess, 199. As the injected dye is fluid, it can even be moved slightly by squeezing the coloured area. Unbelievably, 'ninety percent of Painted Glassfish will lose their artificial colouration within a matter of months' (Sharpe, 2004), as the simulated colour metabolizes out of the fishes' body."

JC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Oh, please do note that the orange- and yellow-finned loaches are NOT dyed. Their body is naturally bluish in colour... But they are commonly mistaken as dyed cos their blue body looks dyed...

Maybe we can work with PFK on this matter. Maybe can write an email to their editor after I return to Sg. Or anyone else wanna write?
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicky
    While we are at it, why not mentioned also the cruel process of cutting off the tails of juvenile fish to achieving the tail-less, love-shape-looking blood parrot.
    Oh My God!!!!! I thought they are cross bred to look like that

/me looking at my tail less parrot......

poor thing

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    spread the word joel, and tell the LFS you bought him from too. Most of the time the shopkeeper will be just as shocked as you are.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Dyed Fish

Guys

Just to revive this thread. Another case of fish dyed case published in Wo Bao ( My Paper-free distribution papers) just yesterday. I think the fish is mollies injected with dyed so that each bare a different number on their bodies. Yuck not natural and worse still, who are they trying to attract, aquariums and fish lover like us or the gamblers? Most likely the gamblers who will try to scoop 4 fishes from the the LFS and go buy 4D. I think the fihses are imported from Thailand or Indonesia cann remember.Crazy.
    PLEASE DO NOT BUY THESE FISH. WHEN THE BUYING STOP, SO WILL THE DYEING! Hopefully.
    WaterH2O
    <Fish are Friends, not food>

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    As much as we loathe the way the breeders and exporters are treating the fish, please do not abuse shopkeepers who bring in the fish. They sell fish is their livelihood. You may help by educating your family, relative and friends about the cruelty and suffering these fishes go through instead. If you are familiar with the shopkeeper given that you patronise them regular, you can assist in preventing future imports by also educating them, but again, don't abuse them or boycott the store totally.
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You don't have to boycott the shop totally just stop buying that kind of fish and eventually from the low sales they will know better than to bring in this kind of fish next time. If you have know the shopkeeper well let him know that this is cruel. Knowing Spore culture to some extent, some shopkeeper might tell you to mind your own business, if want buy or not still got gamblers to buy them.
    WaterH2O

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by WaterH2O View Post
    some shopkeeper might tell you to mind your own business
    If that happens, it would mean that you are not in the "familiar with shopkeeper" category yet.
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    So if I am not "familar with the shopkeeper" then it is ok for me not to patronise that shop again, customer preference right? I believe whether you are on good terms with the shopkeeper or you are there only for the first time, anyone should readily accept a good advice when given one. Enough said on this, bottom line is it is still cruelty to fish. Do whatever you deem fit.
    WaterH2O

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by WaterH2O View Post
    Guys

Just to revive this thread. Another case of fish dyed case published in Wo Bao ( My Paper-free distribution papers) just yesterday. I think the fish is mollies injected with dyed so that each bare a different number on their bodies. Yuck not natural and worse still, who are they trying to attract, aquariums and fish lover like us or the gamblers? Most likely the gamblers who will try to scoop 4 fishes from the the LFS and go buy 4D. I think the fihses are imported from Thailand or Indonesia cann remember.Crazy.
    PLEASE DO NOT BUY THESE FISH. WHEN THE BUYING STOP, SO WILL THE DYEING! Hopefully.
    I just checked the 15/1/08 edition of the paper at http://www.mypaper.sg/. The article is on a main page and B7. Please go there to read before it's no longer available. I have saved a copy. Maybe next time I can print one out and pass to the LFS I frequent.
    Last weekend, I was at a LFS and they had these fish. I told my kids there and then that it is cruel to the fish and we must not buy.

Last edited by juggler; 16th Jan 2008 at 15:55.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    What's it all mean though? Some of us can't read mandarin at all

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Dyed and injected fish again!

Recently just saw pleco being injected too

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Dyed a fish....I dun like this

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

no point buying these type of fishes... they don't look natural
    Too much of a fish SIAO to quit fish keeping/fishing..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

To Kick Start, maybe we need to be educated on fishes that are dyed & fishes that are not.

We do not want to boycott fishes that are born with bright or colorful.

Many of us here do not know how to differentiate dyed or undyed fish.

Can someone here advice?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast