Images
    Country
    Singapore

Dyed and injected fish again!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Have you guys seen the Aquarama blurb in the Straits Times today? There is a BIG picture of dyed parrot fishes looks like more education is in order

I am considering asking budak to write another letter to the forum, and I am collecting signatures in support for it (that is, assuming budak does agree to write one). I want to combine with petfrd in this endeavour, as they already have an Anti-Dyed Fish Campaign.

What you guys think? Budak, where are you?
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I don't know about the dyed parrotfish, but I did glance some dyed flouresscent fish in one of the tanks (glassfish?).

budak might wanna save the trouble

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    Have you guys seen the Aquarama blurb in the Straits Times today? There is a BIG picture of dyed parrot fishes looks like more education is in order

I am considering asking budak to write another letter to the forum, and I am collecting signatures in support for it (that is, assuming budak does agree to write one). I want to combine with petfrd in this endeavour, as they already have an Anti-Dyed Fish Campaign.

What you guys think? Budak, where are you?
    I support that.. I think the public needs to be educated on what these poor fish went through to get those color on their body. I was disappointed that such picture gets publish on Straits Times.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    While we are at it, why not mentioned also the cruel process of cutting off the tails of juvenile fish to achieving the tail-less, love-shape-looking blood parrot.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Yep...looks totally wierd.

How to sign? I am in.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i am in as well. these fish look ridiculous to begin with and i really can't understand that people are willing to buy such fish, especially when considering the pain and cruelty that these fish must undergo to achieve a silly and unnatural look like that

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Choy,

I think it's a good thing to bring about more awareness to our members that these fishes are indeed unnatural and the processes to achieve this monstrosity is cruel.

Besides writing an article, perhaps we can also highlight (through photographs) what a normal fish looks like and what are "colored" fishes through a sticky that members can refer to in the Freshwater Fauna section.

I certainly agree that more voices will make an impact and working with other forums will widen our reach and amplify our efforts. Let's see if www.petfrd.com or www.killies.com are interested in a joint awareness campaign.

You definitely have our support.

Here's some links for those who want to find out more.

http://www.deathbydyeing.org/

http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/be...aintedfish.htm

Cheers,

p.s. Can we report this to SPCA or does SPCA just deals with animals, not fishes.
    Last edited by benny; 31st May 2005 at 18:44.
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    but benny, parrot fish are not REAL fish to begin with
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    lol...not real fish....lol..
    count me in la..

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by benny

We saw these and just had to highlight that Aquatic Quotients feel strongly against dyed fishes. It's cruel and inhumane. Please do not buy such fishes for your aquariums. It's in bad taste and reflects badly on the owner too.

Cheers,
    Was reading the practical fish keeping online magazine and they have an article on dyed fishes surfacing in UK.
    http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.u...m.php?news=790

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.u...g.php?blogid=1

Wonder how can we make the LFS to stop selling such fishes.

JC
    Last edited by benny; 21st Dec 2005 at 22:52.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Difficult... The campaign to 'Not But Dyed Fish' ran in the UK for many years liao but to no avail... They claim small success but to educate Ang Mors is easier as they can be persuaded by just telling them the needle used to inject the ink to the fish is as big as a pencil to us. Imagine the pain caused.

Asians are less sensitive to animal pain and suffering... And most of these fish came from *ahem* *tada!* Singapore... Asians, particularly the Chinese likes colourful stuff, esp the red colour... And those plain and less vibrant fish are difficult to sell. Keeping them takes up space, food and water. Costs money... So, some schemeing breeder decided to add colour to the fish lor... No choice... It's all for the $$... Sad... But true...

To run a similar campaign in Singapore, we would need the help of AVA. Our SPCA is too small and is not making an impact. Already, they are having problems with their campaign against buying pets on impulse... And dun think AVA is even remotely interested. They care more about the avian flu and keeping animals on the CITES list off the shops now...

We dun have a major pets magazine nor do we have enough readers to start something amongst ourselves. Who wants to pay for the advertising? The posters? Who wants to go around passing the pamplets and talking to the LFSs? *Sigh*... Ok, realised I have been talking too much... Time to 'zip'!...
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for the updates.

Reason for bringing it up cos during Nemo craze, SRC managed to run a sort of successful campaign against implusive buying and educating ppl.

Anyway, just hope that when the Buying stops, the killing will will follow suit.

Cheers
    JC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    frankly, I think if one can educated the major fish lfs , they don't bring in, no one buy loh.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    But who to educate? Who wants to do the dirty job? Who wants to volunteer? If AQ wants to do it, who are we to do it? Are we bonded strong enough to do so? There are too many questions... Especially so when you see those dyed/painted/tatooed fish in our very own QH, Singapore's biggest fish supplier to LFSs in Singapore and worldwide... Too many questions...

Besides there are too many people wanting to buy those fish because of the colours and relatively cheaper prices...

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    First off let me say I never trusted QH or anything related to it.
    ESPECIALLY OCEAN FREE PRODUCTS
    Can't stand opening a bottle of sinking pellets and getting powder instead.

Secondly I'm going to tell you guys what I do with LFSs that sell dyed fish. It's up to you if you wanna follow.

1) ask the owner if he knows what he's doing
    2) tell him you won't buy anything from him if he stocks dyed fish.

That's what I do Besides, dyed fish are just plain gaudy. I'm sure you'll all agree that true beauty is in subtlety(semota? art basics right?) I'll take a school of blue eyed tetras over a neon green glassfish anytime.

PS: I've just been inspired to do a poster

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Can we do it? Are we going to do it? If we are to do it, can we persevere? If we are doing it, I am more than willing to be a part of it...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thomas, it's not about we. "We" have to start with "I". Anyway, I'm doing it!
    BTW: There's a shop at pasir ris central. Can't remember the name but if you ever go there, boycott!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    'I' too small, no power. 'We' stay visible and can do more. Just like the letter )dunno whether written in the end) that Choy mentioned. If there is only 1 signature, it would not work. Just like the 'Gold Tap' incident. It takes more than 1 signature to move things. I'd say, let's do something about it seriously! There are no widely read and influential local magzines on fish to help us, maybe AQ can work with Petfrds and Arofanatics etc to educate their members to begin with. Posters etc for LFSs would be good. But $$ would be a problem!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I received a pretty lukewarm response the last time I tried to take up the issue.

Let me sleep on it and see what can be done and how it can be done....

All other comments/ideas welcomed!!

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i saw the fish at a certain colourful shop in Serangoon North. My hands are rather full at the moment, but if you could contribute points and facts I can then put them together in a cohesive form.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast