Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

keeping arowana in a plant tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    saw sam yick in simei keeping arowana in a plant tank. anyone does that before? care to give advice?
    thank

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    seen this question been asked over and over again in arofanatics.. i guess, the simplest way is to create a low maintenance tank suitable for arrowana.. the key here is to choose plants which r hardy, dun require much light and of coz need less co2 injection and i oso guess, the most difficult thing to consider is the maintanence.. no shrimps, no algae eater can escape the appetite of an arrowana.. (maybe a big pleco)

though, I never done such a tank (but defintely thght of once ) my plan would be the use of all echinodorus since they require very little light.. and of coz used for cushioning if the fish decides to ram himself onto the wall

if u do the tank, make sure u let us know.. guess many of the members here r keen to see the results

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Pet Safari uses very very big SAE.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Heard ... you have to train your arrowana to eat dry food when small if you want to put arrowana in planted tank

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi All,

I have been keeping a panda red in a planyed tank for almost 6 months. Now I'm setting up a 5ft planted and this round, I'm a bit more siow.....I'm intending to put 2 aro in it. Ok, here are some tips for those interested, you may not like the idea, but it works for me:

Tips
    1)Choose those fast swimmer eg cardinal tetras, pencil fish, SAE, etc BUT prepare to lose about 10 to 20% of these to the aro. Some are fast but stupid.

2)You must have lots of "sleeping" place for your small fishes. I have almost a third of my tank grown with cork-screw glass. ( Sorry, I'm quite bad with plant names), A thick portion wth MM, other than that, you can plant ricca, anything you like. 1 observation - during the daytime, all the fishes will be swimming around asking you for food, wch is normal, once it it dark (even if you switch on your aquarium lights) the tank is like a ghost town with only the aro patrolling up and down.

3)The planted tank must be setup with all the small fishes first, let them and the plants "settle" in before introducing the aro. This process is about 4 months.

4)DO NOT intoduce any small fish after the aro is in...They are sure GONER.

5)Make sure the small fish is well fed twice a day so that at night they go and hide or "sleep" instead of swimming around.

I have a piece of drift to keep my 200 malayan shrimps. I also have 5 puffers to slow down the snails from increasing.

Lastly, you might think that I feed my aro with dry food, NO. I feed it with frogs, mkt prawns, aquaone, beef, chicken and pork. No joke, I really feed all my aro with these and I feed only on alternate day.

I have 2 DIY co2 supplying co2 to the plants 24hrs a day. No problem to all my fishes and aro. Lighting is pure sunlight as the tank is in the balcony. Filter is a simple DIY powerhead into a overhead ticker system.

Well, some of my setups are against the planted rules but......everybody is happy. I will try to ask a friend to take some pics for me, a picture paints a thousand words.

Cheers

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    My opinion:

same thing: any fish that is larger than aro's mouth is safe unless your arow turns out to be aggressive, used to keep with discus until it jumped out.

--
    aro being top level fish, most of the time, they don't look down. so bottom feeders are fine. eg: farlowella, cory's, loaches.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I saw a picture once of a nice low maintainance aro planted tank. Mainly Anubias and java ferns amonst large rocks and drift wood.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    My opinion is that arowana a being top level fish, there need to be sufficient space for it to swim around. So plants that grow upwards are going to cause problem as the big fish's swimming space will be severely curtailed unless u do pruning regluarly.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 4/12/2002 1:15:55 AM

Hi All,

I have been keeping a panda red in a planyed tank for almost 6 months. Now I'm setting up a 5ft planted and this round, I'm a bit more siow.....I'm intending to put 2 aro in it. Ok, here are some tips for those interested, you may not like the idea, but it works for me:

Tips
    1)Choose those fast swimmer eg cardinal tetras, pencil fish, SAE, etc BUT prepare to lose about 10 to 20% of these to the aro. Some are fast but stupid.

2)You must have lots of "sleeping" place for your small fishes. I have almost a third of my tank grown with cork-screw glass. ( Sorry, I'm quite bad with plant names), A thick portion wth MM, other than that, you can plant ricca, anything you like. 1 observation - during the daytime, all the fishes will be swimming around asking you for food, wch is normal, once it it dark (even if you switch on your aquarium lights) the tank is like a ghost town with only the aro patrolling up and down.

3)The planted tank must be setup with all the small fishes first, let them and the plants "settle" in before introducing the aro. This process is about 4 months.

4)DO NOT intoduce any small fish after the aro is in...They are sure GONER.

5)Make sure the small fish is well fed twice a day so that at night they go and hide or "sleep" instead of swimming around.

I have a piece of drift to keep my 200 malayan shrimps. I also have 5 puffers to slow down the snails from increasing.

Lastly, you might think that I feed my aro with dry food, NO. I feed it with frogs, mkt prawns, aquaone, beef, chicken and pork. No joke, I really feed all my aro with these and I feed only on alternate day.

I have 2 DIY co2 supplying co2 to the plants 24hrs a day. No problem to all my fishes and aro. Lighting is pure sunlight as the tank is in the balcony. Filter is a simple DIY powerhead into a overhead ticker system.

Well, some of my setups are against the planted rules but......everybody is happy. I will try to ask a friend to take some pics for me, a picture paints a thousand words.

Cheers
    ----------------
    Chris, sunlight won't get algae meh? You mean you feed it with raw diced chicken and pork? Wah your aro eat good stuff sia.