Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: experience on use of chiller

experience on use of chiller

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hi all,
    i'm considering buying a chiller for my planted tank(about 100 litre). can anyone share their experience on the up & down side of owning one? will the heat generated by the chiller be too much to bear in an enclosed room? how about the noise level? the cost of electricity per month?
    thanks for any advice coming this way

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    think the answers to your question will be similar to running a small bar fridge.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I am using a Teco 680 chiller for my 4 feet. It is rated at half horse power. When the chiller comes on, you can hear an audible sound akin to a small aircon compressor running. There is also some heat generated...hence the chiller should be kept well ventilated. I put my chiller directly below my tank so the heated air goes up to the underside of my tank...substrate heating!!!

The advice I was given is to go for a chiller that is MORE than sufficiently rated for your 100lt. To give you an idea, the Teco 680, I believe, is rated for up to 1200lt at 25 degrees and my tank contains at most 250lt. That way, the chiller comes on for not more than 20 mins to cool down from 27 degrees to 25 degrees on a hot afternoon with full aquarium lights on.

Only issue is the cost of a more powerful chiller. But in the long run, I believe you will see a lighter electricity bill...compared to an under-rated chiller turning on for most part of the day and into the night. Heard of someone's chiller being on all the time.

Hope this helps.

CK

----------------
    On 4/13/2002 1:07:18 AM

hi all,
    i'm considering buying a chiller for my planted tank(about 100 litre). can anyone share their experience on the up & down side of owning one? will the heat generated by the chiller be too much to bear in an enclosed room? how about the noise level? the cost of electricity per month?
    thanks for any advice coming this way
    ----------------
    [/quote]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Beagle,

Your 680 took just 20 mins to cool a 4ft from 27 to 25 degrees! What pump or filter is connected to your chiller? PL, FL or MH lighting? How often does it crank in a day?

Mine took almost 2 hours to bring my 5ft temperature from 28 to 26 degrees. But I am using a substrate heater that is underrated and the chiller is connected to an ecco 2233. The difference in timing is so significant although my tank is a little bigger and has subtrate heating.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Am using an Eheim 2026. Using FL lighting (38 watts X 2). Tank size - 120cm by 45 cm by 50cm. I think my chiller has a lot less to cool than your 5 feet.

Anyhow, just timed the last time it cranked up to cool from 27 to 25 degrees -about 24 minutes.

----------------
    On 4/14/2002 11:40:07 AM

Beagle,

Your 680 took just 20 mins to cool a 4ft from 27 to 25 degrees! What pump or filter is connected to your chiller? PL, FL or MH lighting? How often does it crank in a day?

Mine took almost 2 hours to bring my 5ft temperature from 28 to 26 degrees. But I am using a substrate heater that is underrated and the chiller is connected to an ecco 2233. The difference in timing is so significant although my tank is a little bigger and has subtrate heating.

----------------

Feedback Score
    i realise after cooling down the tank, the 2nd day morning, the whole tank are full of condensation water droplets on the surface...although this is normal, i just want to ask you guys here, anyway special way of preventing this to happen??...

this maybe a stupid question....[] [] []

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi jw,

Dun think you can prevent the condensation. May I know what temperature did you set at?

Feedback Score
    i set it at 25 degrees...this morning....the whole tank full of condensation, can't see anything inside...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Wow...your fishes must be freezing inside []. You can set at 26 to prevent condensation. No good for wooden cabinet if you are using one. Anyway, is the reading from your chiller or thermometer? Those normal thermometer might not show a accurate reading. Your fishes might be experiencing temperature below 25 degrees. Best to get or borrow a digital one to test. Lastly, is your chiller(if Teco) calibrated?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    my tank in my room is 23.5 at night, 26.5 in day
    fan on during day, aircon at night
    ^ _ ^
    steady boh?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Steady siah. Condensation? []

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    can est. what is the PUB bill increment with a chiller ? Thks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    condensation only when i breathe on it
    glass is 10mm thick