Country
    Singapore

Want to try ADA soil

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi Guys

Never used ADA soil before so can anyone enlighten me on the type of ADA soil most suitable for use? Can grow toninas etc. Want to get a dark colour gravel for the tank. There are so many different types, example, Amazonia, Malayan etc...which one should i buy. I heard that one of them lowers PH while the rest dosen't? which one is that?

And also, i do not need to add any base fert anymore if use ADA soil right? Save the problem of base fert leaking while uprooting plants...

Finally, how many packets should i get for a 3ft tank?

Would be great too if anyone can tell me the pros and cons of ADA soil too...if there is...

Or is there another cheaper alternative soil without the need of base fert to buy?

Regards
    Gene
    Last edited by genes; 12th Jun 2005 at 11:03. Reason: Added more comments

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    3ft you will need 2 bags...

Amazonia n Malayan will lower PH, Africana wont

me had great experience growing plants like tonina and other diff plants using africana... now using Amazonia, quite bad cause i dunno how to relate CO2 with ph table.... better go for Africana for better planting, think Amazonia is more for fish breeding...low low PH

my 2 cents
    Aquatic Dreams
    Custom Made Aquarium Tanks, Cabinets & Stands

Contact Us: [email protected]
    FaceBook: https://www.facebook.com/aquaticdreamsg/

Somewhere on a tiny Island call Sillypore
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    What about using the CO2 test kits rather than using KH and PH test kits to look at the co2 levels?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I heard somewhere that they have ADA base fertilizer as well known as the power sand. You may need to use it with the ADA soil for better effect.

I am not too sure how true it is.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by genes
    What about using the CO2 test kits rather than using KH and PH test kits to look at the co2 levels?
    I don't know about those kits, because they seem to just show a vague represention of C02 levels in the water.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ADA aquasoil isn't some wonder soil imo/ime. CO2 is about the biggest thing for a plant since 40%+ of its dry weight is carbon. Why get something that complicates the measurement of CO2 which means a lot to a plant especially at high light tanks?

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yea, i agree with Peter too.... i'm using ADA dropchecker to check my CO2 level....
    my personal advice is to get Africana if you wana use ADA Aquasoil....

cheers
    Eman
    Aquatic Dreams
    Custom Made Aquarium Tanks, Cabinets & Stands

Contact Us: [email protected]
    FaceBook: https://www.facebook.com/aquaticdreamsg/

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Is it true then that Africana doesn't affect pH/kH?

ADA soil is allright. The main grudge is the relative ease with which it crumbles up. Literally a soil.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by chua
    I heard somewhere that they have ADA base fertilizer as well known as the power sand. You may need to use it with the ADA soil for better effect.

I am not too sure how true it is.
    Power sand cost a bomb man.. Nvr try before but think ADA without power sand wont be much worse off..

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Cacatuoides
    3ft you will need 2 bags...

Amazonia n Malayan will lower PH, Africana wont

me had great experience growing plants like tonina and other diff plants using africana... now using Amazonia, quite bad cause i dunno how to relate CO2 with ph table.... better go for Africana for better planting, think Amazonia is more for fish breeding...low low PH

my 2 cents
    Think the different types is of different colour also right? Black and brown. so it also affects ur decision if u r particular abt that...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hey Genes,

While i personally do not use ADA substrate system or any branded substrate, i would say that if you wish to choose a good substrate, then maybe you should Consider flourite, or Onyx sand. Based on reviews, i would say that they do not alter pH/kH levels. anyone who used it can double confirm?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by gregorsamsa
    Hey Genes,

While i personally do not use ADA substrate system or any branded substrate, i would say that if you wish to choose a good substrate, then maybe you should Consider flourite, or Onyx sand. Based on reviews, i would say that they do not alter pH/kH levels. anyone who used it can double confirm?
    Onyx sand raises KH and pH.

BC

Somewhere on a tiny Island call Sillypore
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    During aquarama, this guy selling the ADA stuffs told me too that only amazonia reduces KH/PH and not the rest. So its true that ada africana does not reduce KH/PH? Anyone else can add on this?

Regards
    Gene

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    onyx raises kh (and maybe ph) initially, after a month or so, its neutral.. so its effects aren't really that bad.. the color is nice , especially onyx sand. if you want not so "even" granules like denerlle black gravel, you can go for onyx sand

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by loupgarou
    onyx raises kh (and maybe ph) initially, after a month or so, its neutral.. so its effects aren't really that bad.. the color is nice , especially onyx sand. if you want not so "even" granules like denerlle black gravel, you can go for onyx sand
    ...as long as you do not do it like me... ... ... I added 1-in layer of peat under the Onyx...

Peat=acidic ---> peat + Onyx = carbonates, magnesium and calcium dissolve in water ---> run away KH and GH (especially bad with CO2 injection)

My KH was >12 and GH >15...

... so never use more than a handful of peat with Onyx.

Onyx is contains high Mg, Ca and carbonates. It will always raise KH and GH throughout its lifetime. However, it is slow and usually will not raise KH too much. It should stabilise at around KH 5 or 6... which is a good thing.

BC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Smile

I use flourite without any base fertiliser/peat/root monster. Confirmed that it does not affect KH, GH or PH.

All plants are growing very well. My only complaint is that it is not so easy to plant plants with very short roots, eg HC & small downoi.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Smile

hi guys ,can i just put ada soil ,dn put power sand.just a normal sand can i.

how many packets should i get for 2 1/2ft tank thx.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Powersand is not some sort of sand, it's more like a fertiliser/mineral/whatever that helps ADA soil to function. You can go without Powersand for ADA Aquasoil, but putting sand at the bottom ain't going to help

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by |squee|
    Powersand is not some sort of sand, it's more like a fertiliser/mineral/whatever that helps ADA soil to function. You can go without Powersand for ADA Aquasoil, but putting sand at the bottom ain't going to help
    The 'Powersand' just the ADA marketing word for fertiliser and the price is equal to 3 x Aquasoil !
    The More You Share, The More You Have

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    but many people swear to it's effectiveness. I'm not sure about it myself though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast