Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Are Snails Good Or Bad For Planted Tank?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Are Snails Good Or Bad For Planted Tank?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    After four weeks into this wonderful hobby, I noticed some snails crawling around in the tank. Some are round in shapes and some in elongated shapes (don't know its' names leh...). I managed to remove most of them, leaving 2 pcs of the "round shapes" in the tank.

Are snails good or harmful to a planted aquarium? Does it helps to get rid of aglae on the leaves or are they eating up the leaves?! Thanks!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    There are mixed views on this.

Some like the snails, because they clear up stuff like algae and rotting plants in the aquarium, and don't mind their population because it probably "looks natural".

Others, like me, hate them because they populate very quickly when left unchecked, and can dot your aquarium glass with numerous distracting dots.

The snail is a good clean-up crew member, but only if they come in LFSes sterilized

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by |squee|
    There are mixed views on this.

Some like the snails, because they clear up stuff like algae and rotting plants in the aquarium, and don't mind their population because it probably "looks natural".

Others, like me, hate them because they populate very quickly when left unchecked, and can dot your aquarium glass with numerous distracting dots.

The snail is a good clean-up crew member, but only if they come in LFSes sterilized

What you meant by " LFSes sterilized " huh?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by dolphin
    What you meant by " LFSes sterilized " huh?
    As in 'they won't reproduce' in your tank?

I don't mind snails in my planted tanks, except the Malayan trumpet snails. I've seen a fellow-hobbyist's tank over-run by them that I told myself that I'll never ever going to let a single one of them get into my tanks.
    P-L-E-C-O-R-Y=M-A-N-I-A!!! YEAH!
    FLORENCE, capital of the region of Tuscany, has a population of around half a million inhabitants, spreads on the banks of the Arno, between the Adriatic and the Tyrrhenian seas, almost in the middle of the Italian peninsula. It is a city which bustles with industry and craft, commerce and culture, art and science.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    In fact, I like Malayan Trumpet Snails (MTS). MTS tends to hide in the substrate during the day and only comes out during dark hours. They are less of an eye-sore than other types of snails, because you rarely see them around when the lights are on.

Generally, snails are good (less the plant eating types) for planted tank. They help to break down waters and dead plant matter and speed up the re-cycling of nutrients to the plants.

Only time that you might not want them around, especially MTS, is when you have a breeding tank. MTS and some snails feed on the roe of the spawning fishes.

BC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    you don't want snails in your tank. MTS/malayan trumpet snail, argh. are ugly. I see really huge specimens in my tank sometimes and off they go to the dustbin.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I think some snails are good... I've tried the Zebra snails and the snails that looks like sea urchins. They are good algae eaters and they dun molest the plants too much. But I have to agree that the Malayan Trumpets are disgusting... About 10 years ago, I tot they look 'cute' and introduce a few into a betta tank. In a few months, all I could see are snails, snails and more snails! I have to scoop out 40-50 per day! This went on till I introduced a female betta without quarantine and have the other 8 females and 1 male wiped out! No more trumpets for me! The ramshorn looked attractive and are more sensitive (i.e. can be killed easily)... Perhaps you might wanna keeping them...

But if you are sick of the snails and could not get rid of them in time, you might wanna introduce river shrimps (at the expense of your smaller fish as they can get agressive and attack smaller fish) or loaches and puffers...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Justikanz
    I think some snails are good... I've tried the Zebra snails and the snails that looks like sea urchins. They are good algae eaters and they dun molest the plants too much. But I have to agree that the Malayan Trumpets are disgusting... About 10 years ago, I tot they look 'cute' and introduce a few into a betta tank. In a few months, all I could see are snails, snails and more snails! I have to scoop out 40-50 per day! This went on till I introduced a female betta without quarantine and have the other 8 females and 1 male wiped out! No more trumpets for me! The ramshorn looked attractive and are more sensitive (i.e. can be killed easily)... Perhaps you might wanna keeping them...

But if you are sick of the snails and could not get rid of them in time, you might wanna introduce river shrimps (at the expense of your smaller fish as they can get agressive and attack smaller fish) or loaches and puffers...
    Wow, you seem to know much about snails! Do you so happen to have any picts or websites (with picts) that I can view?

Thank you everyone for all your replies! I appreciate it.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    That's just my 2 cents worth... Try this website for photos: http://www.aquahobby.com/e_gallery.php

You can buy red Ramshorn, the Zebra and the Urchin at most shops. Try Florist @Clementi 328. Other types would be more of a pest. A word of caution, though... They are afterall, snails and can easily over populate a tank if conditions are right for them. Dun get too many at once, try just 1 or 2. Another 2 cents...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    advise: stay away from snails. zebra snail for example, lays so many white eggs that even after hatching stains the driftwood/rock PERMANENTLY

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by loupgarou
    advise: stay away from snails. zebra snail for example, lays so many white eggs that even after hatching stains the driftwood/rock PERMANENTLY
    Well, that's true about the white eggs. That's why I advise not buying more than 1 or 2. Have you tried wiping them off? I wiped them off the front glass and it looks clean... And they dun seem to want to lay their eggs there anymore...

Btw, I thought the white eggs were from the Urchins... I don't have Zebras (but have 1 urchin) in 1 of my tank but I see the white eggs while another tank had Zebras but not Urchins and I see no eggs...

Also, can a single snail reproduce by itself?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    snails will lay eggs anyway, they are hermadrophites, probably capable of self fertilisation.

I was keeping only zebras, they laid eggs all over my slate that even hot boiling water and a wire brush cannot scrape away the egg stains, so I had to throw it all away.

same with driftwood

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by loupgarou
    snails will lay eggs anyway, they are hermadrophites, probably capable of self fertilisation.

I was keeping only zebras, they laid eggs all over my slate that even hot boiling water and a wire brush cannot scrape away the egg stains, so I had to throw it all away.

same with driftwood
    Strange... Cos I dun have problems with Zebras...

I used the green cloth used for washing dishes and just give the tank glass a good wipe. All the white eggs come off and there are no stains. Did noticed stains from the eggs that hatched out, though... But they can also be wiped off rather easily...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    if its glass its fine, if its other material, then it sticks permanently.