Images
    Country
    Singapore

Advice needed

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi!! I am thinking of shifting a big Amazon sword, right now growing comfortably in the center of my tank, to a corner. What are the chances of the sword dying due to the move? I don't want to kill it but it is getting very big and taking alot of good swimming space.

Also, can anyone here teach me how to keep Nanas long term underwater? Mine just rot away...

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Echinodorus (the sword) are pretty tough. The shift shouldn't kill it. All the same, trim the roots (instead of leaving the broken ends caused by uprooting) to about 2 inches and remove the older/dying leaves before replanting. Also, give it enough space to spread it's leaves. Don't stuff it to close into the corner.

It could die if the new location is very shaded, which is unlikely since they are usually one of the biggest plant in any aquarium.

Anubias (nanas) are very tough. They usually last very long even when the tank conditions s not suitable to grow most plants. I've only come across one situation where they literally rot and melt away in days. That's when I plant it with some light brown branchy driftwood that is commonly available in LFS. I suspect the wood carries some chemical, bacteria or virus that is lethal to Anubias. Other plants do not seem to be affected.

So, the point is, are you using that kind of wood in that tank? I'm not sure if it's just the particular pieces of wood I have or it's that type of wood though.

Anyway, what are the conditions of the tank you intend to put the Anubias. Light, CO2, ferts, other plants? How do you plant them? Leave them tied to wood/rock or planted in the substrate?
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Well, really hope it won't die. Will be shifting the plant in a couple of weeks... Need to find a time when I can spend a couple of days at home... Then will most probably also be removing almost all of my stemmed plants. Anyone want them?

I've tried the nana in only a couple of inches of water (but covering it totally) and no wood... Petrified wood, yes... It's in a viviarium-like tank (natural but filtered light and no CO2)with a wet sandy land area for my hermits. It literally melted away while those on land (or partially exposed to air) stay fresh and healthy! I didn't even cover the roots, let alone the rizhome... So fed up with them!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hermit crabs? Are you using salt/sea/brackish water in that tank? Anubias is a fresh water plant. I'm not sure how it does in brackish water.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I am using fresh water now... If converting to salt/brackish water, what plants can I use? But I want smallish fish in the water portion of the tank... With fresh water, I can keep plants and fish... The hermits does not seem to mind... They are the land hermits, not salt water crabs...