Images
    Country
    Singapore

Lighting requirements

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Can I seek some expert advise if there is any difference between 55W PL and 36W PL if the total wattage is the same...let me clarify. I'd like to set up a 4ft tank...now considering lighting.

Shd I get 2 sets of 4 x 36W PL or 1 set of 4 x 55W PL? Please suggest any other combination if cheaper...so far seems that lights are quite expensive. Are the ROC-made lights reliable or is there certain recommended brands that are value for $$?

Plant type in consideration are hairgrass, glosso, some mosses, tennenus, lotuses, maybe some stemmed plants for corner or background.

Also, how much base fert should I use? Any recommendation for Eheim filter for 4ft tank? Would like to set it up within a tight budget if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I can't really help with the rest, but if you're on a tight budget you might want to forego the Eheim canister and look for a cheaper alternative.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    55W PL is longer then 36W PL and can cover a slightly longer area. If your tank is 2ft deep, 55W might be a better choice over 36W PL, although i recommend using MH with that depth. 1 set of light will not be able to cover the area across the width, so 2 sets is better as such.

In sufficient light is also a key factor of algae boom.

Watt per gallon is basically just a guide line. Most importantly is to have sufficient/adequate light reaching where your plants are, for example, the glosso right at the bottom.

You choice of plants are not fast growing enough and you will get algae pretty soon with or without very strong light. Try to accomdate more stem plants such as rotala, ludwigia.

Cheaper way might not be the cheapest as it seem. I recommend investing in a good set to have good result rather then upgrading or changing after you found it unsuitable.

Your gravel can be around 5inches. Base fertilizer can probably take up 2inches of it.
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    IMO, you can go for the 4x55W. IMO, 8x36 is too high for a 4 ft tank, not to mention the space it takes up and the extra heat it generates.

55W PLs give you better spread lengthwise too.

I'm assuming it's 4'x2'x2' which is approximately 100USG?

Whatever base fert you plan to use, follow the instructions. If you intend to use soil, or cocopeat (search the forum for posts about these substrates) about an inch max. JBL is one of the cheaper commercial products, but look around the LFS for others. There's new products since I last shopped for base fert. Gratiola is using something else now which they seem quite happy with.

Choose a filter that gives a flowrate of about 3 to 5 times your tank capacity per hour. So you should be looking for something in the range of 300 to 500 USG/hr, give or take a little. You can try the Eheim classic series, but that comes without media. After adding media costs, you might as well consider the Eheim Professional series which comes with media.

You can consider the Atman filters as an alternative if budget is an issue. Seems Atman has performed reasonably well in the few years since it entered the market. Eheim has a solid reputation of being able to last 20 years or more, and good safety design.

Filter is an important piece of equipment for your tank and also a potential fire hazard if it is not well designed to cater for cases like operating when there is no water (due to leakage, tank breakage, hoses falling off). So don't stinge too much in this area.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for the inputs so far.

My tank is 2 x 1.5 x 1.5. From wat I gather from vinz & lorba, I would do ok if I get 2 sets of 2x55W instead of 1 set of 4x55W. Since the tank width is not 2', then 1 set 2x55W plus 1 set 2x36W would do fine too...I'm trying to learn and apply here...not safe cost (pls advise if apply correctly the theory).

Lorba: What I don't unbderstand is why will there be algae boom if there's insufficient light. I understand that if there is too much light, it may be too much for plants and may burn or melt them...is this not true? Also, how would stem plants prevent algae boom?

As for the filter, how much will the pro series cost and which model may I ask? I'll go check the price. I dun mind getting an eheim coz I know it's reliability and also dun wanna waste $ in future in case a cheaper one doesn't work...but if Atman is not bad from what you guys experience or heard, I may try it.

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    With that size and 2 x 55W PL, you'd be changing water more frequently, stock adequately, fertilize adequately, plant heavily (more fast growers) and monitor closely.

Play around with lighting periods. Try not to switch them on for very long hours as it not only heat up the water, but cause rapid algae development on tank glass etc. Slight inbalance of nutrients can cause algae boom quickly too. One of my tank practically stayed algae free without much maintenance due to simulation of Sunlight. ie. Very strong for certain hours, weak for certain hours.

Algae comes in when plants are not in good condition, not up taking the nutrients fast enough. Some plants cannot photosythesize well with in sufficient lights and thus, algae produced eventually. Different form of aglae (or some, similiar eg BBA) will form when there is inbalance, this happens when there is too much or too little of something, including light.

Stem plants are typically fast growers. Under strong light and with adequate fertilization, they can grow well (fast) and nice and keep the nutrients in check. Other slow plants can thus take their time to grow well without worry of algae. You can then even dose daily when you find the balance of fertilization and the growth rate/amount of plants. Algae on the tank wall cannot be avoided totally.

I used to dose 25ml profito and Potassium almost daily to my 3ft.
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I am just curious, have you find out the cost for both lighting system? I find some MH cheaper than those lights...
    Cheers and Regards,
    Billy Cheong

I'm not always dumb,
    Just most of the time...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    2ft only leh, put MH? But possible, if you want to achieve nice and red stem plants.
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Oh dear....a grave typo mistake here....it should be a 4 x 1.5 x 1.5 ft tank!!
    Thousand apologies...no wonder i was wondering why lorba was talking about 2 x55W....

So I will consider your suggestion of getting fast-growing stem plants to absorb nutrients. Can a weekly or fortnightly change of water be ok?

Back to lighting...for my tanksize, what is recommended?

a. 2 sets 2x55w
    b. 1 set 2x55w + 1 set 2x36w
    c. 1 set 4x55w

Sorry for misleading...thanks. Plant type wise,I'll scout for the various recommended plants then seek advise again...newbie need some hand-holding to start.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    All combo are fine, but the 36W light set might leave some dark gaps on both side and maybe the center.

Have you considered MH, they are not very much more expensive then PL at this size. For a nice and beautiful one, I recommend the Arcadia light.
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功