Images
    Country
    Singapore

pitcher plant and venus fly trap

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    How do I keep them in a vivrium? Me and my friends tried pitcher plants in pots but they never survived past a wk. I want to try them in vivrium again but i'm afraid they die on me again; they're not cheap.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by dts_spawn
    How do I keep them in a vivrium? Me and my friends tried pitcher plants in pots but they never survived past a wk. I want to try them in vivrium again but i'm afraid they die on me again; they're not cheap.
    Hi Willy, the trick to planting pitcher plants, venus flytraps and other carnivorous plants is to provide ample humidity and very weak soil. Weak soil meaning it's very low in nutrients and not forgetting that it has to be loose and well drained. The roots to these plants can't tolerate wetness and too damp.

Plant them in spaghnum moss ontop of clay pellets. Provide ample light and keep a lid on them. DO NOT let them dry out as they will die.

Propagation is by side shoots and runners. Once your matured plant is around 10-12cm in diameter, loosen up the soil and gently break off loose young plants. Individually replant them in either coco peat or spaghnum moss.

IMPORTANT factor to take note of, DO NOT fertillize them as it'll "burn" the roots.

I hope these will help you clear of your fears.

Regards,
    Phillip.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    By fertilizing, you mean what type of fertilizer?

Will the phosgen slow release type kill or burn the roots of them?

How about the animal ash, although it might not be suitable for vivarium due to the smell.
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by lorba
    By fertilizing, you mean what type of fertilizer?

Will the phosgen slow release type kill or burn the roots of them?

How about the animal ash, although it might not be suitable for vivarium due to the smell.
    IMPORTANT factor to take note of, DO NOT fertillize them as it'll "burn" the roots.
    Hi Lorba, these plants do not need any form of fertillizer. In their natural habitat, they grow in absolutely weak soil and their only form of nutrition is by "catching" their prey and dissolving it in their liquids.

So NONE at all for fertillizers for these type of carnivorous plants. Just plain coco peat or loose soil with enough drainage.

Regards,
    Phillip.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks, got it now.

What about plants like bird nest ferns etc that we place on trunk forks? When I depot them, I usually see the slow release fert granules.

The one below was left on a dead branch for 6motnhs and is already rooted. I am wondering if I should put some fert.

人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by lorba
    Thanks, got it now.

What about plants like bird nest ferns etc that we place on trunk forks? When I depot them, I usually see the slow release fert granules.

The one below was left on a dead branch for 6motnhs and is already rooted. I am wondering if I should put some fert.

Hi Lorba, what ya can do is to grind those fertillizers into powder form, get a pinch from there and mix it into your sprayer bottle. Spray the diluted fertillizer fortnightly as ferns in general require very little fertillizer.

Another option is to add a drop of fish emulsion into your water and spray it onto the roots fortnightly also. Fish emulsion is good for ferns in general and it boosts up the growth of the leaves, also not to mention turning it much more a brighter green.

Avoid direct sunlight and "drafty" areas.

Regards,
    Phillip.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    thanks for the advice, Phillip.
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    i dont know about the tropical species but for the more northern species of pitcher plants...actually whether the soil be wet or dry really depends on the species of pticher plant..also depending on the species.. it is probable that soil nutrient uptake is dependant on prey capture..but that hypothesis hasn't been proven yet so i dont know if it is true... it does seem like they all grow in nutrient-deficent habitats but insect capture is not the only form of nutrient uptake for these plants.. actually it only provides about 20-30% of what they need...other forms of nutrient uptake comes from rainwater, certain rotifers that live in them, and sometimes that also depends on where they are situated (light conditions etc.)...
    personally i think the soil does play a part...but i agree with philip about keeping the soil nutrient level low in general....

this is actually quite interesting...maybe i should start a scape with sundews and pitcher plants..like in thier natural habitat..Can we grow sundews here??

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by ranmasatome
    i dont know about the tropical species but for the more northern species of pitcher plants...actually whether the soil be wet or dry really depends on the species of pticher plant..also depending on the species.. it is probable that soil nutrient uptake is dependant on prey capture..but that hypothesis hasn't been proven yet so i dont know if it is true... it does seem like they all grow in nutrient-deficent habitats but insect capture is not the only form of nutrient uptake for these plants.. actually it only provides about 20-30% of what they need...other forms of nutrient uptake comes from rainwater, certain rotifers that live in them, and sometimes that also depends on where they are situated (light conditions etc.)...
    personally i think the soil does play a part...but i agree with philip about keeping the soil nutrient level low in general....

this is actually quite interesting...maybe i should start a scape with sundews and pitcher plants..like in thier natural habitat..Can we grow sundews here??
    Nice analogy on the plants. Yes we can grow sundews here provided the soil you use is not acidic and it has to be constantly humid in the environment it's staying in.

Regards,
    Phillip.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    From here http://www.thegardenhelper.com/flytrap.html you will know the basic of pitcher plants, venus flytraps and other carnivorous plants. You might need to feed them the insects at least once a month.
    My new blog about field trip, aquascaping, DIY and etc. http://dominicanrepublica.blogspot.com

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by dts_spawn
    Me and my friends tried pitcher plants in pots but they never survived past a wk..

hi there,
    another trick is to ensure that the "pitchers" are always fill with water, never allow them to be dried up.

mine are growing and growing and growing after fellowing the above instruction from a plant farm chap.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    where can we get the venus fly trap? I havent seen any in nuseries like far east.
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by mervin
    hi there,
    another trick is to ensure that the "pitchers" are always fill with water, never allow them to be dried up.

mine are growing and growing and growing after fellowing the above instruction from a plant farm chap.
    It'll be a good addition to my vivarium, any plantlets for me

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I bought mine recently at the nursery beside AMK library. Quite cheap: fly trap for $12, pitcher for $3.
    If i'm not wrong, far east selling fly trap for $18

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks, will drop by if have the time this weekend

Feedback Score
    I happen to be lucky enough to live in an area where Sarracenia pitcher plants, Sundew, and Venus Fly Traps grow wild as well as having a professor who's made his career on Pitchers. We have three large bogs in the school's botanical gardens and we grow our carnivores in an approx mixture of 1/3 peat, 1/3 clay, and 1/3 Perlite and crushed granite. I've found this works very well for Cryptocoryne too.

They can be fertilized, but it needs to be very dilute as the plants aren't used to having salts in the soil for very long. Cockroaches are their favorite food. In the wild places I've collected them they grow on the surface of a moderately thick clay mud or in periodically saturated soils on hillsides that drain into a wet area.

Aside from drainage the most important need of Sarracenia is light. These beauties grow in full sun and need strong lighting to thrive and complete their annual cycle. I would hesitate to keep them in a terrarium under anything other than halides.

For better information send an email to Dr. T. L. Mellichamp, UNCC Botanical Gardens-

http://www.bioweb.uncc.edu/Faculty/Mellichamp/index.htm

Regards,
    Phil

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Fei Miao
    It'll be a good addition to my vivarium, any plantlets for me

mine are rather huge !!!
    the "cup" is about 5-6 inches leh.

don't think it will look good unless u have a 10 ft one !

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Big problem!! My fly trap is starting to turn black. Not all though. Is there anything wrong with my plant or is it a natural process?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    Mine having the same problem. I think you better cut off the black leaf... Else, the leaf which next to it will turn black and melt like that.
    My new blog about field trip, aquascaping, DIY and etc. http://dominicanrepublica.blogspot.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    bro, for vivariums and for the ease of keeping CP(carnivorous plants), choose the asian specimens.. for pitchers, get the nepenthes variety.. far east flora has them but if u got problems, can find me, i can order them for you, on-demand.. price range around $15- $18... to mix flytraps and pitchers is quite a chore as flytraps have dormant periods and you have to maintain a certain level of humidity.. IMHO, having at least 3 varieties of nepenthes in a 2ft vivarium would be interesting and relatively easy to handle... for my nepenthes, i dun fertilise them as i prefer the natural process of it attracting insects to it... more "natural".. for the problems of flytraps turning black, its becos of the presence of nutrients in the substrate or the insect it has captured is too big..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast