Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: What is in the soup

What is in the soup

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    what is in Luohan? I only know that it is a hybrid
    so far many had mentioned that it is from trimac, midas...

any comments?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    all central american origins.

saw some earlier old generation luohans(pictures.) and by their size, i strongly suspect guapote lineage inside too. Esp the more longish body and extended finnage in some of them. Plus if the earlier LHs are 14" and above, i doubt at the body shape it still does not contain guapote blood. That is my own speculation. i even suspect Umbie in them.

earlier ones we see here resemble trimacs a lot. thats dominant in the strains last time. i cannot confirm the presence of midas until quite recently, and from what i see, 100% can deduce midas inside also.

some others are texas cichlid, i had seen some which resemble jack dempseys too. And then i had observed many obvious traits that indicate possibility of red terrors.

recently i just realised that it is indeed possible to cross guapotes (eg jaguar) with other central americans, particularly those from "amphilophus" sub-genus. Coz an overseas friend just showed me a pic of a jaguar/labiatum mix.
    i have no idea how the hell it is done. Unless it is possible to "milk" the fish like breeding of koi and goldfish.

recently, realised that there is a trend towards short body and more compact ones. And Midas signs are really strong.

An interesting is that many hybrids show this same pattern : initially, they are bred to look as different from the parent strains as possible. But a few generations down, we start to see fish that resemble the parent strains again. But now of unknown bloodline and a high price....

know of some breeders/farms that just throw in several closely related species and let nature do its job, and hybrids can occur. Just went to a farm where the owner was selling his own creation of a jaguar hybrid..

it is amazing how ppl can keep buying such **** blindly. The hobby had suffered in many areas. And i do feel it is a shame, or disgrace.