Country
    Singapore

Definitely starting up a new tank...pls help

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Gents,
    This site has been a real great resource for me.Just can't wait to start setting up..maybe by end this week?..

I'm planning to set up a planted tank.I'm new at these.Based on info from this site,here are what I think I require...pls give corrections and suggestions pls..

Tank - 3ft...(will buy new with cabinet,6mm glass)
    Filter - already have a EHEIM 2228 but I guess its too powerful for a 3ft tank.
    Anyone wanna trade..or selling their EHEIM 2026?
    Lights - PL electronic ballast ?? what wattage should I use?
    CO2 - 2 litr. with solenoid(anyone selling used)
    Base fertilizer - dennerle or JBJ and how many packs for my tank?
    Substrate - planning to get the ADA Africana soil...2 packs enough?

Pls help..can't wait to get started...thanks guys..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Hanzz,
    Firstly a very warm welcome, always nice to have a new brethen. Btw, I think your 2228 is too much for your 3 footer. Lights for FL, I think 4 x 25W is enough. If you are using ADA soil, I think can skip the base fert. JBJ is okay, Dennerle dupontmix is 'ex' bro. But the fun of it is trying new stuffs as long as it doesnt burn a hole in your pocket. You might want to add a fan to your list, if you are keen on moss. As for trades and stuff, just drop in the market and trade section, there's alot of 2nd hand Co2 set for sales weekly. You just have to be fast.
    Enjoy.
    Something about the water & the fishes that calms me down.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    1)3x?x? ft?
    2)Filter- Maybe you can split the output into 2 to lessen the flow? Save some cash. If it is too strong, then you need to get another filter.
    3)Light-PL 4x36w or you can try the new T5 bulbs. Comes in 39w for a 3ft tube.
    4)CO2-Beside the co2 cylinder, how are you going to add the co2 into the tank?
    5)Base fertilizer-2 bag of JBL is enough as my previous experience.
    6)Substrate-There is a darker color version. I've forgotten the name though.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hmmm...thanks guys,its getting clearer now.

Will try the 2 output for the filter to lessen the jet effect or maybe shut-off a bit more at filter outlet I guess.If not will look for a 2026.

Substrate - will this work?.......2cm of the sand(sold in paper bag at Lfs) then 2 bags of the JBL fertiliser,then another 2 cm layer of the 'sand' and lastly 2 bags of ADA soil(Amazonia).

T5 tubes?...is it a FL or PL?so I need total of 100w light?

If i buy the riccia grass from lfs that comes grown on those stainless steel mesh(bout 3"X3"),just by placing it on the substrate,will it eventually spread all over ?or I have to buy lots of it?..

Thanks again...

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Personally I'll just put base fert below, cover with sand, and top with ADA. I suppose you want to save cost on the Aquasoil.

I don't know about T5 tubes, but they're gaining popularity.

Riccia will eventually spread all over your tank However, it's generally good to not let plants grow in the beginning. Plan your aquascape, and buy enough plants to fill up the aquascape instead of waiting for them to grow out. It'll solve a lot of problems. Plants are relatively cheap in Singapore.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by hanzz
    Hmmm...thanks guys,its getting clearer now.

Will try the 2 output for the filter to lessen the jet effect or maybe shut-off a bit more at filter outlet I guess.If not will look for a 2026.

Substrate - will this work?.......2cm of the sand(sold in paper bag at Lfs) then 2 bags of the JBL fertiliser,then another 2 cm layer of the 'sand' and lastly 2 bags of ADA soil(Amazonia).

T5 tubes?...is it a FL or PL?so I need total of 100w light?

If i buy the riccia grass from lfs that comes grown on those stainless steel mesh(bout 3"X3"),just by placing it on the substrate,will it eventually spread all over ?or I have to buy lots of it?..

Thanks again...
    The 2 bag of sand is more than enough for the 3ft if it is Lapis sand that are currently sold in a paperbag. Either you get a bag of it and 1 bag of ADA Aquasoil. If you get 2 bag of Lapis sand and 2 bag of ADA soil, your substrate thickness can reach 20cm thick! ( slight exaggeration)

Here's a tip. After pouring your base fertiliser, spread them evenly BUT leave a gap of the basefert from touching the 2 sides and the front glass of the tank. You can use your finger and drag it along the 3 sides of the glass to create the gap. You don't want to look at your base fert everytime you view your tank do you?
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.