1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Fishes gasping for air after 30%-40% water change

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I was so engrossed with the new siphon thingy I bought to clean the substrate that I forgot about the water level. Probably 30%-40% water was siphoned out, I topped it up with aged and "Primed" water and added in "ATM outbreak". I noticed all the fishes were gasping for air after I came back from lunch and sadly my SAE passed on... I have an air stone running at the corner of my tank 24/7 and no co2 injection at that time, since it was light out period.

I quickly moved my output pipe above the water level to increase surface irrigation and all was back to normal in the evening. Any idea what could have caused the lack of oxygen, my inexperience deduce could it be the nitrifying bacteria were multiplying due to the large than normal water change?

Do share if you have more insight, would like to know to prevent or put in place remedies such there be a need to do large water change again.

nearby Wululand..a nice place northern part of Singkapoh..
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Fishes gasping for air after 30%-40% water change

Hmm, so far never occured to me before... check your siphon thingy for oil or chemical... who know there might some chem or oil that causes the deaths

Check out my Blog on planted tank, good for newbies ( i am lazy to retype all the info i know, so please click and read below link... i hope you don't fall asleep while reading)
    Link to my Blog

I am not PERFECT but I am LIMITED EDITION !!! BIG Tank comes with BIG Responsibility...as they makan a lot of $$....lol

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

How very mysterious! I've done 40-50% water changes before without any problem so I'm doubtful that the bacteria changes could have such a rapid effect on the fish. Perhaps something in the aged water was not quite right - was the Prime measured and not-expired?

Found this post on another forum http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/fo.../t-388847.html
    One of the replies by Zander_the_RBP says "Prime is a reducing agent and if levels are high enough it will begin to bind weak oxidizers like gaseous oxygen dissolved in the water. Thats really the only risk of overdosing. [...] Warmer water will compound the problem because warmer water holds less oxygen than cooler water.
    "

So overdosing can directly consume oxygen and underdosing can leave chlorine/chloramine in the water causing gill damage and gasping then death in some fish. Do you think either of these scenarios are possible?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Most likely the aged and primed water being added into the tank had low oxygen levels, so the sudden change in O2 levels caused the fishes to gasp for air... this tends to occur during lights out periods as the plants are not actively photosynthesizing, so the tank's overall oxygen content is more affected by water changes.

Still... 30%-40% water change usually wouldn't create this sudden a reaction from fishes (i'd expect it if 70%-80% water changes were done), perhaps your bio-load could be high enough that there isn't enough oxygen reserve to sustain them even after a water change of that moderate amount?

I guess its better to just do max 20% water changes next time, reduce the chances of throwing the tank's oxygen content off-balance.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

3 possibilities I see:
    1. Chlorine/Chloramine
    2. Sudden change of PH
    3. Water temperature
    I have the same issue. I am going to try to use seachem safe. Currently even 25% wc affects my fishes. They rush to surface and stay there for about 1 hour then slowly return to normal. I feel my case should be chlorine/chloramine. Will update after WC tomorrow. Sigh!
    Cheerio,
    Sleepy_lancs
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    An afternoon trimming my watery garden is better
    then an afternoon with a therapist

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi,
    I am happy to report that after dosing Seachem Safe as I deliver water directly from tap to tank, the symptoms seem to have gone away. No longer do they (fishes) surface gasping for air. So I guess my problem is the water from the tap. Either Chlorine or Chloramine. I am going to try for 30% water change end of this week to see if I can push the limit of the water change. This time I will update on my tank thread in aquascaping.
    Cheerio,
    Sleepy_lancs
    An afternoon trimming my watery garden is better
    then an afternoon with a therapist

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

there are discussion regard to this before, could be higher concentration of chlorine is added during certain time of a week by pub

a point to take note , also different areas have different water source apparently

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by tubularistical View Post
    How very mysterious! I've done 40-50% water changes before without any problem so I'm doubtful that the bacteria changes could have such a rapid effect on the fish. Perhaps something in the aged water was not quite right - was the Prime measured and not-expired?

Found this post on another forum http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/fo.../t-388847.html
    One of the replies by Zander_the_RBP says "Prime is a reducing agent and if levels are high enough it will begin to bind weak oxidizers like gaseous oxygen dissolved in the water. Thats really the only risk of overdosing. [...] Warmer water will compound the problem because warmer water holds less oxygen than cooler water.
    "

So overdosing can directly consume oxygen and underdosing can leave chlorine/chloramine in the water causing gill damage and gasping then death in some fish. Do you think either of these scenarios are possible?

It could be an overdose, I added almost a cap of prime into the pail of water a day prior because I top up probably 1/10 of a pail of the aged water. Didn't know there's such a side effect for overdosing prime...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Also very valid points raised by others regarding fish oxygen demand and fluctuating chlorine levels. Stressing the fish by changing the water will increase their oxygen demand, especially if they are also digesting their food. It's common practice to withhold food before stressful events like transport (especially for big fish) not just because of ammonia but also for oxygen demand. Not sure how heavily your tank is stocked.

PUB definitely changes the amount of chlorine and chloramine they add to our water, I just always assumed that Safe/Prime at the recommended doses would be able to neutralise all of it. Otherwise, maybe I need to worry more that I'm drinking this stuff! Apparently they tend to add more during rainy seasons as there's more surface runoff and bacterial load going into our reservoirs. Has been pretty dry this past month though.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

My load is 8 blue alexrodi, 6x boraras brigittae, 2 otto, maybe 4 Cory Pygmy in a 60cm x 30 x 36cm tank with Ehiem 2215. Heavily loaded with driftwood, stem plants and mosses (Still trying to grow them)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

That doesn't sound like a lot of fish.. Perhaps it was the overdose after all. Thanks for sharing your experience, so much to learn even though it's something we do so routinely

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I suspect its the overdose of the ATM Outbreak. I've read somewhere that overdosing of sludge remover can cause sudden drop in oxygen level in aquarium, after googling for more info, i found that other people are having similar issues. Prime overdose is fine i believe i always put 1 capful of prime into my 30x30x40cm aquarium during 30-50% waterchange.

https://www.google.com.sg/search?q=s...en-US:official

*CAUTION: When initially using Waste-Away, we strongly recommend adding only a half a dose. For especially dirty tanks, this may temporarily cause cloudy water and a low ammonia value. DO NOT OVERDOSE as this may cause a drop in the oxygen level.
    Source: http://www.drtimsaquatics.com/natural-aquarium-cleaner

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Ingen View Post
    I was so engrossed with the new siphon thingy I bought to clean the substrate that I forgot about the water level. Probably 30%-40% water was siphoned out, I topped it up with aged and "Primed" water and added in "ATM outbreak". I noticed all the fishes were gasping for air after I came back from lunch and sadly my SAE passed on... I have an air stone running at the corner of my tank 24/7 and no co2 injection at that time, since it was light out period.

I quickly moved my output pipe above the water level to increase surface irrigation and all was back to normal in the evening. Any idea what could have caused the lack of oxygen, my inexperience deduce could it be the nitrifying bacteria were multiplying due to the large than normal water change?

Do share if you have more insight, would like to know to prevent or put in place remedies such there be a need to do large water change again.
    I have recommended this possibly hundreds of times to my friends, but I suspect they are just being polite by not disagreeing with me.

It is best to make sure the outlet of the filter, whether canister or HOF, is positioned at one end of the tank at the water surface and directed laterally so that the current is spread over the whole tank surface. This will ensure healthy and happy fish, provided of course the water is not contaminated or bad with a lot of impurities.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Haha since tetrakid seems open to the idea of disagreement, I'll say that there are many different methods to achieve the same aim, here improving gaseous exchange, I believe a splashing effect would be better than a lateral surface current.

Also, one possibility I would suggest is the difference in parameters between your tank water and the water to which you added is too large and the fish were over stressed by it. Might wish to slow down the rate at which the new water is added into the tank and see if this helps the next time round.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

1 capful is quite a lot to dose for 30*30*40 tank , guess better be safe then sorry

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

it's severely overdose. but no reaction from fish and shrimps

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Draka View Post
    Haha since tetrakid seems open to the idea of disagreement, I'll say that there are many different methods to achieve the same aim, here improving gaseous exchange, I believe a splashing effect would be better than a lateral surface current.

Also, one possibility I would suggest is the difference in parameters between your tank water and the water to which you added is too large and the fish were over stressed by it. Might wish to slow down the rate at which the new water is added into the tank and see if this helps the next time round.
    Splashing water from the top onto the whole surface of the tank is good too, but if splashing at just one spot, oxygenation will not be efficient enough.

The dynamics of oxygen dissolution is good at the water surface, like how wind oxygenates the deep ocean mass by causing surface activity of waves.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Haha if we are talking about dynamics now it might be worth noting that freshwater is much less able to dissolve oxygen purely from surface activity than saltwater, which has greatly lowered surface tension. And the surface activity of waves is more closely associated with splashing effects than just gentle surface movement.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

look guys, fish gasping for air after wc isn't about oxygen level. if they're fine before wc, have issues after wc, and recover after that, it's not about oxygen in the water anymore, it's about the water that's added in, unless ts fills the water using a pump and outflow is below water surface, which I highly doubt so

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Got it bro, sorry for derailing the topic!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast