Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Tank thickness - What the ...

Tank thickness - What the ...

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys,

DIE, DIE, DIE!!! My tank is bowing! Any idea if the thing will break? The thickness is 0.5cm ... too thin I suppose?? It was used previously to house freshwater fish (my uncle kept those silly luohans .. no offence here, but i'M marine. [:] ) without any problems, but I suppose with the higher weight of water/cm3 the pressure has increased? Now the front of the tank has bowed out a little, and I've drained half the water into the sump, which started to bow out a little too. D*mn!! It's all set up and nice with most parameters ok, and it has to crash. ARGHHH!!!!!!

Any idea what I can do?

Thanks a lot!!

Very gan jiong ...

Hong Yee

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The thickness is 0.5cm ... too thin I suppose??

with the higher weight of water/cm3 the pressure has increased? Now the front of the tank has bowed out a little, and I've drained half the water into the sump, which started to bow out a little too. D*mn!! It's all set up and nice with most parameters ok, and it has to crash. ARGHHH!!!!!!
    ----------------

SW water is definitely 'heavier' and have a higher pressure than FW.. and those normal 2ft, by right should be able to hold.. however, in this case, they could be the reason for the bowing.. check whether is the rock structure is concentrated in one area??

as for what to do? stand by to get another tank lor..
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Mine's a 4-footer leh ... going to vomit blood liao.

Oh yah .. forgot to say that the front and back panels are the ones bowing ... so probably have litle to do with the rocks? I originally supected the rocks, but still no improvement after preventing them from leaning against the back panel ...

Regards,
    Hong Yee

I dun think u can use a 5mm thick glass for a marine 4 footer. Pal, time to change tank....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    For 4ftx1.5ftx1.5ft the min standard is usually 6mm glass all round with 10mm glass base

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    4ft?? with 5mm thickness.. cannot make it leh.. the pressure will cause the bowing leh.. my 4ft marine tank thickness is at 12mm thick... Dragongoby.. that thickness for fw is more appropriate leh.. as it is now.. u had better pray that it dun give way or u will have a hard time cleaning up the place.. YES.. it is time to get a new tank..sorry to inform u that..[]
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    If possible, don't support your tank with the original stand because the stand only support with corners only. Get a 4 ft low height cabinet to support the tank....This will allow the entire weight to rest on the entire surface of the cabinet. As for the sump, you can place it inside the cabinet. You may need to improvised to drill some holes for your pipe to reach your sump. (i believe yours is an overflow system)

God Bless

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies. Yah .. time to change tank man. Any idea where I can get a good and thick glass tank with built-in overflow and accompanying cabinet? Also need to know price, if anyone's got any info about this, I'd be really grateful.

And after I change to new tank, got to wait for it to cycle etc again ... [] But then, as my girlfriend said - the longer you've got to wait for something, the greater the happiness. So many I'll end up as a very happy person - yah, after a couple more months.

Regards,
    Hong Yee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    if u are still going for 4ft.. IMO.. i recommend at least 10mm minimum.. best go for 12mm.. but that is gonna cost a bit more... i get my tanks from Proglass in tampines..(behind tampines Safra.. located inside the industrial area) alternatively, u can search the site.. i do recall seeing some guys post the mfg firms on this site..[]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    try reading this post...

fish tank manufacturers []

Feedback Score
    Did asked Hong leong about the price for a 4ft tank with cabinet and sump few months ago. I think he said is about 1 K ++.[]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Kelstorm, u bought a fish tank all the way from AMK to Tampines? I've been living in Simei 4 like 16yrs & dunno got tank maker in the Tampines industrial area. Wow, me learn something new everyday. Where is it exactly located eg wat blk no, unit number? Maybe take a walk in the area when I'm free leh . How's the pricing?
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    BFG... i can bring u there next time... but i dun remember the address or the phone number.. except the name of the company.. ProGlass... []
    the prices should be competitive lah.. i dun know abt the prices from elsewhere coz both my former 3ft and current 4ft marine tank are from the same mfger... good service (impt to me) black silicon.. free transport...
    actually, i can't really recall the price since i last patronise them when i got my current 4ft 2-3 yrs ago.... but will visit them again to do up my 6ft... hehehe.. []