Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: when we tie moss on DW do we put a netting over the moss ?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

when we tie moss on DW do we put a netting over the moss ?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys !! when we tie moss on DW do we put a netting over the moss ?i am a beginner so i dunno much about these things .But i see in some LFS they put a netting over the moss and riccia when they are tied to a DW .may i know wat is the purpose and is it a need to do that ?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    There's no need for netting if you've tied your moss onto your driftwood with fishing line or nylon string. Moss pretty stays put with this method of tying.

The reason why LFS puts a netting onto their driftwood mean for riccia is because riccia floats a great deal; and without the netting, it'll be virtually impossible for the riccia to stay attched to the driftwood.

Thats my understanding of it.
    Cheerio!

Edmund Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i did not put any netting over my riccia previously. when it started to grow, my yamato prawn likes to go over it with its leg trying to serach for food i presume. so most of the riccia landed on the surface of the water. have since wrap them over a net on pieces of stones.
    don't worry, be happy

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by riccia
    i did not put any netting over my riccia previously. when it started to grow, my yamato prawn likes to go over it with its leg trying to serach for food i presume. so most of the riccia landed on the surface of the water. have since wrap them over a net on pieces of stones.
    same problem as me....i never put a netting over my riccia when i tied them to the metal mesh..now a lot of my mesh are botak cos my SAE got dig them out......

riccia...where u buy those netting the got big holes?? i thinking of grabing them this weekend...can sms me the reply at 98275027 as i may not have time to check the forum nowadays.......thanks!
    i'm ADDicted to this wonderful hobby

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    bro taz_boy

have sms you earlier. i bought the small holes net from pasir ris fish farm. don't know the reason why you are looking for the big hole ones?

my friend uses the net accompanying the onions he bought from the supermarket. i mean the onions "net" packaging.
    don't worry, be happy

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Netting is not going to solve the problem...riccia will float, netting or not. Just a matter of time. Cos, in nature, riccia is a floating plant.

Actually , riccia is a very messy plant...you will find that it is very hard to get rid of. Maybe you want to consider something else.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yup, agree with rocket. Give or take 2 months and you will have riccia all over. Moss don't have to use mesh, just tie it down with sewing thread, fast and simple. You might want to try pelia, also another attractive alternative.
    Something about the water & the fishes that calms me down.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by michael lai
    Yup, agree with rocket. Give or take 2 months and you will have riccia all over. Moss don't have to use mesh, just tie it down with sewing thread, fast and simple. You might want to try pelia, also another attractive alternative.
    Just curious, how to tie pelia? Just like moss?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi justz, pelia is usually secure by mesh, soft mesh to tie the pelia to DW or hard mesh to cultivate the plant on the mesh. I think a few of the bros here sell it in that form.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks!

Pelia on DW or rock always VERY expensive one leh...

Mesh? I intend to get some and tie them on rock... Like that cannot use mesh leh... Hmm... If you know of any bro selling pelia on rock, let me know...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    No problem, Justz. anyway I'm working on a new 4 footer project. Moss, java fern. nana and maybe pelia. If I can get it cheap, I'll share some with you.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinmysoup
    There's no need for netting if you've tied your moss onto your driftwood with fishing line or nylon string. Moss pretty stays put with this method of tying.

The reason why LFS puts a netting onto their driftwood mean for riccia is because riccia floats a great deal; and without the netting, it'll be virtually impossible for the riccia to stay attched to the driftwood.

Thats my understanding of it.
    hi bro flyinmysoup ! i see some LFS put netting over their moss on DW .Cos i just started so i am not sure . Ii also did ask another bro in the forum he said the same thing as u but actually i just wan to know wat is the reason behind .Is it it will make the moss grow nicer or other particuliar reason behind it ?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi k3nni,
    Don't really know why they use mesh to secure the moss but using thread is simple, straight forward and fast. But using mesh net you got to be meticulous to ensure the mesh is firmly secure in all areas. But hey its a free world, I guess if you want to use cable tie also can. (no pun intended ). Btw, all these mesh and thread thing is just to help the moss get a foothold on the selected object. Once that is achieved, you can live without the securing element.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i totally agree with rocket and michael. i personally experienced it now . even with the net, riccia will "escape" and then eventually float on the water surface. it's quite a messy plant but those full grown riccia i saw from LFS are beautiful. they must have maintained it regularly.

bro michael

if you have excess pelia and needs someone to share with you, please let me know as well. don't mind sharing the cost together .
    don't worry, be happy

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I reckon that using mesh is neater in their opinion, but don't worry, strings, fishing lines, mesh.... they serve one purpose, to hold the moss down. None of these methods have proved to be better or worse for moss's growth. As long as your water, nutrients, light and temperature is fine, moss will grow.
    Cheerio!

Edmund Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I must admit that I also got use net to tie java moss....reason is I lazy to use the string or fishing line....it is those kind that hold the orange in the super market de so it is quite big and able to cover the whole area of the broken pot

As for riccia, I use those small whole net instead. For this is that it hold better than and with regular trimming, I dun need to re-do it so often.
    For good or for ill, I will walk on the path chosen by none but myself.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Riccia,
    No problemo, will keep you guys posted.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yo bro micheal!! if u wan to buy some pelia i think u can get from a brother in the forum also i got my Taiwan moss from him .I saw his pelia in his setup . i believe he got alot to put on sale and they are very healthy .If i am not wrong his name is fishshy contact should be 90176229 .

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    No problem, Justz. anyway I'm working on a new 4 footer project. Moss, java fern. nana and maybe pelia. If I can get it cheap, I'll share some with you.
    No problem!! Will be more than willing to share the pelia...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks k3 and Justz,
    Seems like we have a pact. Will contact you guys once the pelia deal is finalise.