Country
    United Arab Emirates

Keeping shrimps alive

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi Bros,

I have a question for you all. I have kept Amano shrimps in a planted tank before but they all died after a while. This was in a small 29Gtank with DIY CO2. I stopped buying after a while.

I know have a heavily planted tank, 80G with preassurized CO2. I am doing the Tom Barr EI dosing, so CO2 is kept at 30 to 35ppm.

I want to keep Amanos now and fear that they will die again. From what I see in this forum that most of you have critters in your CO2 enriched planted tank. What is your secret to keeping them alive?

From what I have heard they need high oxygen levels, and with high CO2 they die. Can someone advise me on it?

Thanks in advance.
    80G 4ft Planted tank, pressurized CO2, 3bps, 288 watts HOFL, ADA Aquasoil, Powersand. Also 5 other small tanks 10-30g all non-co2 and low lights. Wife Acceptance Factor: Very bad

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    They could die from the ferts too...don't overdose.

CO2, you need to have a solenoid...or at least turn off during the dark period.

And make sure to have low temp...shrimps don't do good > 30 C.

Btw...they are not called Amano shrimps...its Yamato.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United Arab Emirates
    Thanks for your reply rocket.

In my main tank I am dosing the EI method right now with 35ppm CO2 so I am sure they will die in there.

I am setting up a small shrimp tank without CO2 or ferts, so they will be ok there.

As for the name, they common names are Amano Shrimp, Algae Eating Shrimp, Yamato Shrimp, Japonica. But you're right Yamato is correct

Cheers
    80G 4ft Planted tank, pressurized CO2, 3bps, 288 watts HOFL, ADA Aquasoil, Powersand. Also 5 other small tanks 10-30g all non-co2 and low lights. Wife Acceptance Factor: Very bad

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    For small shrimp tank, make sure to run an air stone. They also die easily due to lack of o2.

Of all the parameters, I think temp is the most important. I used to do very badly keeping them alive, until I got a chiller. I think you can operate a fan too..but that is that as effective.

You are right about the Amano name, but it usually only appear in literature.
    Yamato is the common street name. You can't find "amano" shrimp in our local LFS.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United Arab Emirates
    Thanks again rocket. I will run an airstone. I live in Dubai, Middle East and the outside temp at this time of season runs well over 45c My tank temp runs at 34c!! Chillers are not available here, so I put 3 to 4 small ice bottles twice a day in my main tank to keep the temp down. Heat is one of the main factor that my shrimps die, plus of course ferts and CO2.

My LFS has ordered some 'Yamato' shrimps and I should get delivery by Monday. I hope he gets all 25 pcs as ordered. He is also getting some 'red head' shrimps, I don't know what they are.

I read in Petshrimp.com that in shrimp tanks you need bright light, so that algae can grow and shrimps can have food. I never liked the idea of growing algae.

One quick question to you. In a non-CO2/non-fert tank with plants, if I add O2, will it kill whatever left over natural CO2 there might be in the water? And also shall I do water change every few weeks of so?

Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi SkyFish,
    Didn't realize that I was not talking to a local...wow...you are from dubai.

Seems like you have got the shrimp bug.. Yes, they are beautiful creatures, aren't they? The red head ones could be this..
    http://www.shrimpnow.com/modules.php...ewarticle&id=3
    or it may not...not sure what you get over from that side of the planet.

I don't think that there is much truth in the "needing bright lights to grow algae so that shrimps can eat them..".You can feed shrimps with all sorts of food. No need to grow the aglae.

In a non CO2 tank, the need of CO2 is very low anyway, due to the low lights. You only need to have high CO2 if you have high lighting..else aglae will form. However, use only low maintenance plants. eg. Java Moss. Most people running low maintenance tank don't change much water...maybe just to top up the evaporation..which in your case, could be quite often...with your outside temp of 45C.

Good luck.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United Arab Emirates
    Cheers Rocket,

Yeah when I started planning a low maintainance tank, after reading that thread in this forum about non-CO2 tanks, I first thought of keeping a few small fishes. But I have caught the shrimp bug, specially after my LFS told me he was getting some Yamatos. So this will be a shrimp tank. It's only a 30cmx30cmx30cm cube.

I was planning to get Anubias, hair grass and some moss for this tank. I may use some plants from my 4ft tank till the moss get's here. Hope to start the project tomorrow. Why don't you post some pics of your shrimp tank?

As I write this, outside temp is 46c!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,
    One of the humble pic of my tank....I have some pics of my shrimps scattered around...look for rocketshrimp in the search. You will find in this forum many shrimps experts...look around, some of theirs are really astounding.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    Country
    United Arab Emirates
    Wow that tank looks really good. I am impressed. Good job.

I just got my 30x30x30cm tank and going to start working on it. Thinking about which filter to use, internal or hang on back. And I'm waiting for some more plants too.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Shrimps are very sensitive to various water parameters. Besides excessive CO2, they are also unable to survive if water that is heavy in metal/mineral contents (e.g. Copper, Iron, Zinc etc). Chorine and Amonnia are also a problem, together with high nitrite and nitrate values. Lastly, they don't do well in high temperature.

Therefore, ensuring the water having the correct parameters will increase your chances of keeping them alive.

Good luck and hope to see your pictures!

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Country
    United Arab Emirates
    Thanks for your valued advice Benny. I appreciate it.

The water here is fine. I have a GH of about 11 and KH of 6, netal and mineral contens are average. I usually let the water age for a day before I use it anyway, plus I add Aqua Safe.

In this small tank I will not be adding any ferts as such, just a few drops of TMG every month or so. I am putting a Ehiem Aqua Ball internal filter, which filters well and this will solve the nitrIte issue. My only problem will be the temprature. In my main 4ft tank, I have to use 5 ice bottles everyday to cool it down. The fishes are ok. For the shrip tank I will do the same. I will post pics as I progress, shall I do it in the aquascape section?

Cheers!