Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help me with soil layers...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Lightbulb Please help me with soil layers...

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi everyone.

I'm new to this website. So, please guide me.

I am rearing back my planted tank once again.
    That time, when i started, i was primary three. Now, i'm 18 years old and the passion is still in my heart now. I stopped rearing fishes as i moved to my aunt house to stay for a year or so. Now, i'm back ; home sweet home.

I'll tell you guys a bit of my history. Last time, i got no internet connection and are totally ignorant where i can get info about aquascaping. It's really rare. I always found japanese books on that. And can only admire and appreciate such tanks. But i do borrow books and read a lot about different types of fishes. Their bahaviour, etc. Now, i'm a horticulturist, studying in Ngee Ann Poly. Ha.

So, when i started this challenging hooby, I always buy plants. Frequency was, about twice per week because they kept on dying!! Through all the years before i stopped, i didn't give up trying. The factor which i didn't ask and wonder before was the soil / substrate. That was so important for plant to take in nutrients and i missed out that. One of the discover i've made during those years was that, i should use CO2 instead of O2. Still, aftering saving so hard for the money, and tried so many times, plants still die. At that stage, i never lose any hope. I still continue to try and experiment. And now, it's time for me to experiment and try out this new matter once again.

I just want to know, can some one please tell me how many layers of soil i need to set up for my tank and what are the substances inside these layers. I've read the forum very closely and found a lot of things. Some were using only two layers. but on the net, i found three layers. Eg. Vermiculite, garden soil, sand.

I used to have a solid fertilizer mixed with soil. But that was about 9 years ago. Funny thing was, i bought it for about $70 and i threw it away, without opening, when i was spring cleaning in my house...

Now, i only have a 33cm tank, a normal filter, and a lighting(25cm) which was bought, again, 9years ago, about $70. The lighting was a very special light as i was told by the seller that it's solely for aquatic plants. So, can someone please help me firstly, with :

The layers of soil,
    Will my light be suitable? (The light is about 3-4times brighter than any other lights.)
    The cost of remaining items i need to buy, eg. CO2 supply
    (I remembered that i used to buy a bottle of CO2 for $18 at clementi with the yeast function. Now, i heard that there is a small cylinderical bottle, and it's inexpensive. Is that true? )

I really really need help from you guys. I assure you all, that when i got the skills for having a planted tank, i will teach and educate others. And i'll help those in the forum whom are ignorant.

Alvin
    Last edited by benny; 5th Aug 2005 at 09:37.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    1: normally 2 layers is sufficient, base fert + substrate. But I tink some ppl jus use ADA soil la (mostly in smaller tanks, maybe tooeX if use on 3feet/more)

2: I dunno wat U mean by 3-4 times brighter, but theirs always wattage ratings on the tubes, so may wanna check it out. for my case, my 1feet use onli 11watt PL, cos its onli mosses. but normally 1feet 11watts - 18 watts shld be gd enuff.

3: for a small tank i'll jus use DIY CO2. can be home-made or get Nutrafin setup. need patience la, cos the rate can't really be adjusted, may cos algae prob.

(My advice la, maybe wrong.. go ahead n pt out anything, cheers )

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Just to add to dotdot.

Normally, the rule of thumb is 2-3 watts per gallon...hence do your calculations..should not be wrong.

You sound like a serious hobbyist...I suggest that you go for the cylinder type. In the long run, it is cheaper...You can get a complete set for about 100+, I think...or cheaper if you buy from someone in the forum.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thumbs up

Hmm... Friend, what you mean by gallon?? I still don't know one gallon of water is how many litres.. All right. About the light, it stated PL-S 13W/865 C.
    Not sure what does it meant. Is it 13Watts???

Friends, thanks a lot for helping me. About the soil layer, i still don't know what to use. Now i know, two layers are enough. But is there any substance that you can introduce to me? What are ADA soil, dotdot??? Where can i get it??All right. About the CO2. But what is DIY?? I really hope that someone will sell me a cylinder CO2 in this forum. Never mind. Slowly. Step by Step..

Another thing, can i on the lighting on everyday?? Because i know, if i just switch it off like this, the fish will be stressed. Previously, those years, my fish died because of that SHOCK.

yea, i'm an enthu. I really into this hobby. Although it's expensive, it's worth it. It is the joy, satisfaction and experience which in time to come, even money can't buy it.

Alvin

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    UK gallons = litres 4.546
    US gallon = liters 3.785
    For the 2-3Watts per gallon, use the US one.

Yes, that is 13W.

ADA soil, can get from good LFS. I think NA should have since they carry amano products.

diy = do it yourself. I suggest not to..unless, you are starting cheap. if you want, you can try to use an empty coke bottle, drill a hole in the cap, stuck a air tube in (make sure the seal is tight), fill the bottle half with warm water, add 2 cups of sugar, add 1 teaspoon of yeast..and in a day or 2, you will have CO2 from the bottle. There are many articles on the net on how to do this..do a search.

For lighting, you need a timer...set it for about 10-12 hours a day. Once the fishes get used to it, they would be ok.

Lots of experts here...ask around, I am sure that you will learn lots.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Welcome back to this hobby Alvin, you'll find that it has evolved quite a bit from previous years.

Right now, we normally use a commercial substrate and base fertiliser, which are bought from well-stocked LFS(Local Fish Shop). You can't go wrong with Lapis sand and JBL Aquabasis Plus. Both of them are very common and you should have no problem finding those. They are cheap too. However, your's is a small tank. So you might want to but a small packet of Dennerle quartz sand instead. It can be found at the LFSes at Block 328, Clementi.

CO2-wise, we now use pressurised CO2, very much like those fire extinguishers. If you really want to buy a small set, try contacting this person.

Your light is a 13W PL light, which probably needs to be replaced since you say it's from years ago. You can find replacement bulbs easily at any hardware store ( just make sure they are rated 6500K or more ) or at the Clementi fish shops I mentioned above.

Light needs to be turned on everyday. Your fishes very likely died due to other reasons... I've yet to come across a fish that died from light shocks

On the closing note, it's great that you've read up the stuff on this forum, and I hope you continue doing so. Read up the stickies, as well as this site.

Feel free to bombard us with stuff that you aren't clear about.
    Last edited by |squee|; 5th Aug 2005 at 20:08.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Alvin,

Welcome again. FYI I came in 1 mth ahead b4 you. You'll find that this forum is very useful. It took me 2 mths to learn from A to Z before I setup my 1st 2 ft planted tank ... or maybe I just reach H..

Take your time & do not hurry. Check this link for basic items required.

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ead.php?t=4036

Most important is to enjoy what you are doing.

Cheers

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    OH!! Thanks a lot.. thanks a lot for replying me formy question. Thank you, Moderator. I will go down to Clementi and ask about the substrate. But one thing, i'm still confused about it.. Can you please help me with it? Is that, i don't know all the short forms of words in your message.. and i still don't know what are the substrate..

I really do find it helpful. I will do it slowly. Anyone, if there is anymore suggestion which you think you can contribute, regarding soil layers, please do type here and share with me. Thank you.

Alvin

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    LFS stands for Local Fish Shop.

Lemme give you the pics

Lapis sand (pic copyright of RonWill at Killies.com)

JBL Aquabasis Plus

Last edited by |squee|; 11th Aug 2005 at 16:54.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Oh.. that is the fertilizer pack.. That was the one which i mentioned earlier!!
    I bought it for about $70... So, Moderator, (Sorry, don't know your name..)
    Do you know how much is that pack??

Dennerle quartz sand ?? why small tank uses that?? and what is lapis sand??
    Moderator, that picture is not a valid one.. PLease help.. Thanks a lot..
    I'm still saving money to buy all these materials before i can get started...

I'll go over Clementi there and have a look..

Briefly, can you tell me how much is the price??

Also, i want to plant dwarf hairgrass and Nanjenshan Rotala... I still don't know what to buy for the plants.. Well, i really need to settle my soil layers and substrate first..

Oh ya, Moderator, i've added you in my MSN.
    Hope that you won't mind. Thanks a lot for helping so much.
    So, if you are free. IF, please send me pictures of Dennerle quartz sand and lapis sand.. thanks a lot.

Alvin

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Alvin,
    Terence's suggestion was just a proposal, head on down to C328(Clementi) and look at the dennerle quartz sand, nice. Its synthetic and the colour is very unique.( brown, dark brown, green & black, forgot the other 1 ) Dennerle's quartz is 'high end' stuff so if small tank use it you don't feel the pinch so much. a Four footer would roughly lighten your wallet by about $250-$300 bucks. It comes in 2, 5, 10 kg bags. Some of our brethen here use it as the 'substrate' for photo taking. Lapis is just the Brand name of another supplier's sand. Don't understand what layer you are talking about, but generally I put 1cm sand, then base fert, then about 70-75cm on top of that.( and that is that irregardless of whatever sand i"m using ) Btw, you could supplement with tablet and ball form of ferts for the substrate. Alot of brands have that.
    For Co2 you can also try NA, if not observe the forum's marketplace. Alot of brethen sell theirs when they upgrade. Price very affordable. DIY Co2 info is readily available at the Krib.(Website's name) Must read before you start. I hope the info helps, enjoy
    Something about the water & the fishes that calms me down.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lai
    Don't understand what layer you are talking about, but generally I put 1cm sand, then base fert, then about 70-75cm on top of that.( and that is that irregardless of whatever sand i"m using )
    Are you sure you put 70-75cm of sand above the base fert???? You must have an extremely tall tank I'll imagine.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    oops sorry Alvin, you got me there Pete. 7-7.5cm heehee
    Something about the water & the fishes that calms me down.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,

If you interested to know more. Come Gratiola and find me to chit chat. Can also show you some of the setup tanks.
    Nicholas

Newbie en el cichlid enano

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Wackytpt
    Hi,

If you interested to know more. Come Gratiola and find me to chit chat. Can also show you some of the setup tanks.
    Wah, market that bad huh, building your contacts like that....
    Cheers and Regards,
    Billy Cheong

I'm not always dumb,
    Just most of the time...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Goondoo
    Wah, market that bad huh, building your contacts like that....
    Goondoo, wah liew... i am not building contact like that lah. Just trying to share a bit for a newbie mah.

Beside shop and moderating is seperate. I don't mix work and hobby hor

Nicholas

Newbie en el cichlid enano

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yea, my suggestion was just a proposal, there are so many ways you can get your tank up.

Call me Terence

Gratiola is good place to learn, especially for small setups like yours. Right now you should be focusing more on how to grow plants. Once you can keep your plants successfully, you can start venturing into aquascaping.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Wackytpt
    Hi,

Where is Gratiola? Can I have the address? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Gratiola Private Limited

15 Cantonment Road
    Singapore 089739
    Tel: 62209232 / 94889366

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Talking

Erm... Where is Cantonment Road?? Is it near town area? I live here in Pandan gardens(Jurong area) Just to say, i seldom travel you see.. moreover, it's near to exam period already.. But i will make it a point to go over to that cantoment road and trade with Wackytpt... Really. Be sure to tell me more things!!

Hmm.. Terence, where is the clementi shop you are referring to?? Is it the one which i told you?? Mine, is near Clementi central, which is beside a coffeeshop. Must climb stairs to reach that place..

Well, never mind.. I'll go there and have a look..
    Another question, how many cm of base fertiliser and soil substrate i need to put?? 7-7.5cm of base fertilizer is too much..
    My tank is only 63cm by 18cm by 23cm..

Hmm.. Thanks a lot for helping me this much, all of you, whom helped me. Thank you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast