Images
    Country
    Singapore

Super food for shrimps

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I've stopped feeding my shrimps with those sinking pellets for cories and replaced with boiled sweet potato and carrots. They seem to love them better than the pellets especially the sweet potato. I also noticed that the cherries reproduce like rabbits on this diet.

Last night, as I was eating cempedak, suddenly a thought took hold of me. If they love sweet potato, maybe I can vary their diet with a bit of cempedak... You know, sugar content in a more digested form, plus the colouring, fibre, vitamins etc...

But... Discretion got the better of me so now, I'm writing to ask if anyone have tried this ingredient in their shrimp feed before I throw one in. BTW the cooked seeds can be eaten too, taste like chestnuts.
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee

brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.
    Philippians 4:8

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by GaspingGurami
    I've stopped feeding my shrimps with those sinking pellets for cories and replaced with boiled sweet potato and carrots. They seem to love them better than the pellets especially the sweet potato. I also noticed that the cherries reproduce like rabbits on this diet.
    That is interesting.

How do you prepare the food? Do you prepare in one batch and freeze it? Or as and when needed?

How's the water quality after feeding these? Any fouling?
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Hougang, Singapore / Tg Balai Karimun, Indonesia
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by juggler
    That is interesting.

How do you prepare the food? Do you prepare in one batch and freeze it? Or as and when needed?

How's the water quality after feeding these? Any fouling?
    Actually, I learnt it from this kind forumer guy called Au SL who also gave me the cherry shrimps. I adapted from his formula because I can't afford to get his very expensive red Algae powder.

Basically, boil the sweet potato and carrots, mash and mix with some re-hydrated seaweed (I use those deep purple types sold at Yong Tau Hoo stalls); make into small balls (the hardest part) and freeze.

Initially, the water got cloudy from probable bacteria bloom. I put in 3 Wood shrimps whose antics kept everybody entertained and the water cleared up! Then the feed ran out and the wood shrimp fans lesser till one by one they die, probably starved... (but I digress,)

I now pop in a severely oversized Eheim and the water has been clear, despite me feeding double the amount of feed now-a-days. My question was, has anyone tried the Cempedak fruit or its cooked seed for shrimps? The sugar content from its fruit would surely be better than sweet potato.

Sigh, going back to Indonesia tomorrow, no time to experiment. Guess I'll try it next time I return. Now anyone knows which LFS stock those wood shrimps?
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee

brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.
    Philippians 4:8