Thread: quality live rock near the east

Feedback Score

quality live rock near the east

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hey guys,
    Can i noe where to get some good live rock for my 2ft tank and how much do u think i should buy for the first batch.

VANAN []

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi vanan... first of all.. how long have u started maturing your tank? if it is empty.. perhaps u would like to run it first.. where u stay.. i can help u to kick start the tank.. by giving u some of my used filter wool.. then wait for abt a week before getting the rocks..
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i do not know much abt which stage of setup u are at.. but perhaps u might want to read below to get an idea...

Set up

i also encourage u to get a book to read if u dun have much knowledge.. it will save u lots of $$$

reference books

live rocks.... in the east, u can try Lor. harlus Fish farms.. like pacific marine or Reef world..[]
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    kelstorm,
    actually i have 2yrs experience in keeping marine fishes but this i time i am thinking of venturing further into reef system. More challenging!!!! I stopped my fish only tank for almost 3 mths now and i want to start again but this time budget very tight. Thats why most of my stuff i plan to DIY.
    anyway abit info abt my tank rite now. theres abt 2.5 inches of coral sand and i am running a eheim 2224. My filter has not matured yet....but stupid me already added a turbo snail....stupid sia....impatient i guess!!. The tank has only been up for 4 days!![]
    I live in pasir ris, where do u live... maybe i can get the wool from u... I have some old rocks which i used in my fish only tank..( swam and dived and picked near sentosa...i think they r just dead corals). i am thinking of using them as base rocks and save $$$. What do u think??
    hmmm.. reference books...i read alot of books b4 from authors like nick dakin but none of them really emphasize on reef or corals. to think i actually started reading 1 yr b4 starting an aquarium always hang out in tampines library. I think i should get those books which are more detailed towards reef and corals. Maybe i can borrow from u kel??
    lastly abt the LFS... where is lor halus?? so far the only lfs i really go to is the one in eunos at koon seng road... i have seen other lfs but the way they keep fish digust me...maybe if the lor halus ones are better i will go to them....maybe after ur exams kel u can bring me there.....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    actually i have 2yrs experience in keeping marine fishes but this i time i am thinking of venturing further into reef system. More challenging!!!! I stopped my fish only tank for almost 3 mths now and i want to start again but this time budget very tight. Thats why most of my stuff i plan to DIY.
    actually, if u have the experience, then it should not be a problem already...stopped fish only tank.. ok.. does that mean that it u restart the entire setup from scratch...

theres abt 2.5 inches of coral sand and i am running a eheim 2224. My filter has not matured yet....but stupid me already added a turbo snail....stupid sia....impatient i guess!!. The tank has only been up for 4 days
    how come your filter has not matured yet since u have the system up 3 months ago?? different filter?... as for now.. dun add any more stuff.. give some time for your tank to stablise...

I live in pasir ris, where do u live... maybe i can get the wool from u... I have some old rocks which i used in my fish only tank..( swam and dived and picked near sentosa...i think they r just dead corals). i am thinking of using them as base rocks and save $$$. What do u think??
    i stay in Ang mo kio...so.. if u want the wool.. u have to come to ang mo kio..[]dun think u should harvest anything for the sea.. even if they are dead corals.. coz of the water parameters.. they might contain metals that are harmful to the confined environment of the tank... so.. if possible.. return them back to the sea??

hmmm.. reference books...i read alot of books b4 from authors like nick dakin but none of them really emphasize on reef or corals. to think i actually started reading 1 yr b4 starting an aquarium always hang out in tampines library. I think i should get those books which are more detailed towards reef and corals. Maybe i can borrow from u kel??
    sorry.. i dun have books on reef aquarium keeping.. coz me is more into mixed tank.. i.e. fishes and corals.. as for reef tank, u hardly have fishes.. and it is a more delicated system.. so.. sorry.. can't help u on this..

lastly abt the LFS... where is lor halus?? so far the only lfs i really go to is the one in eunos at koon seng road... i have seen other lfs but the way they keep fish digust me...maybe if the lor halus ones are better i will go to them....maybe after ur exams kel u can bring me there.....
    Lor harlus is near pasir ris!!!.. hahaha[] ok.. when i go down.. i let u know.. hmmm.. perhaps it is time to have a trip to marine farm.. heheheh....

Feedback Score
    I stripped the fish only tank abt 3 mths ago and now starting from scratch again. previously used a overhead trickle filter but now using eheim 2224. More convient and lesser salt spray. Tell me when u r free maybe i can meet u in ang mo kio and get the wool from u.. U name the day and time i see if i can come or maybe just give me a call at 90256972 ...
    Lor Halus near pasir ris??? never heard of such a place... anyway when i get my live rocks later next week ...i want to get those really good quality rocks... hope the Lor Halus farms got them.... U let me noe when u r going down....so i can follow u there []
    hey and thanks for the help!!

Feedback Score
    hey one more thing.... how many tubes of fl should i put for my 2ft tank. i heard that i need atleast 4 tubes to keep the corals going....i need to noe becos i am going to to build my light hood and put in all the electrical components. i am thinking of buying corallife 10,000k tubes... wad do u guys recomend!!!! I find those with really strong white light pleasing or should i say higher colour temperature!!!!!!

Feedback Score
    Hi there, just for info. I just went to the Seletar West Farmway 1 T95 LSF last Sat. and there are a lot of very nice quality LR. Per kg is at $6. Just can't stop me to purchase a few kg that day. [] May be U will want to go there to take a look when U in AMK area. For lighting, if U are in reef keeping, follow the book is at 3 to 5 watts per US gal. of water but that will depend on what kind of live stock U keeping. FYI, my 4 ft. reef/fish tank (55gal.)only setup with 4 x10K FL (2B,2W)and I on 3 FL (2W,1B) for 9hrs each day. There no right or wrong rule to follow as it all depend on your setup. For Eg. if U intend to keep clams that FL is not the gd. choice, MH will be more suitable. Plus U still have to monitor the temp. of the water. More light = Hi temp. Avg. temp. for a SW tank should always < 29oC although mine had hit 30 these day even I on the cooling fan 24 hrs. a day. My the other 28 gal. seahorse/eel tank only setup with one 6500K White light. With a cooling fan, temp stay at 28oC.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    vanan.. i can meet u this weekend to pass the stuff to u if u are interested...as for getting liverocks.. wait till your tank stablise first.. then get them.. another thing.. if u are getting them as base.. then dun waste your $$ on good quality rocks.. display those higher quality rocks on the outside... aiyah.. silly me.. anyway.. for 2ft.. u can't have much of them.. just remember that corals comes with live rocks too... when u are buying them...

as for whether the place have the rocks.. perhaps u can give them a call.. anyway.. guys, anybody been to Harlus lately to get stuff??? perhaps u might want to tell us here whether are there any...

Vanan.. i dun mind following u there.. have not been there for a long time... []

Feedback Score
    alright......Put live rocks after stablizing tank...got that...going to buy next week...anyway me free this weekend so i can collect the stuff. kel call me and tell me when and where... i think amk MRT is a bettere meeting place. Or maybe i can come to ur place and look at ur tank see how u have setup things... how abt that???

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hahaha.. i dun mind.. but dun be disappointed hor.. coz me have been busy with my preparations for exams.. thus neglected the tank.. hahaha.. like that.. i must clean up first.. hahaha.. alternatively, u can call me at 96520875... []

Feedback Score
    I have thought of using two pl lights rated at 36 watts each... just wanna know if thiese things produce lots of heat...i mean if they do den putting it in my 2ft is a bad idea... wad do u guys think???[:0]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    it can be done..but just make sure that u have an open space concept.. if not, your water temp will shoots up... by raising the lighting.. u allow air to flow and exchange.. resulting in heat loss... but due to the heat.. the evaporation rate is pretty high.. but can't be help if u want to start a reef tank.. alternatively, u can get those aquarium fans to cool the water temp.. just direct the fan towards the water.. and not the lighting...[]
    sms me on sat morning.. ok? coz i need to play by ear.. and see how my studies coming along.. most prob in the night.. is it ok for u? should be ard 8-9 latest? at MRT?

Feedback Score
    hey guys ..went down to lor halus farms and aquamart today.
    enquired the price of live rocks in reef world and the guy told me $10....when i heard that i went to pacific marina. That guys was a thai and i bet he doesn't noe much. anyway pacific marina is selling live rock at $5 per kg. Saw lots of fish....phew started to drool....aquamart seem to be very quiet inside..
    hey kel ...ppl tell me i should cycle tank with live rocks....den after it has cycled i should put in the corals one at a time over long intervals of days.[]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    well.. with the wool u getting from me.. u are already cutting down on the cycling period leh.. hehehe.. but what i suggest is get a bottle of liquidified invertebrate food and emptied it into the tank... then wait for the tank to clear out.. by then, it should be ready to put in your live rocks.. at least.. that is the method that i used to cycle my tank from day zero...
    the method above is to provide food for your bacteria to grow..[] and colonised the filter...

Feedback Score
    well me did smt simillar...i dumped in a dead sotong...hehe .....i wanted the wool from u for , like wad u say speed up bacteria colonisation. So me gonna buy live rock now....Actually putting in a sotong is messy but when i used to have fish only i used sotong becos of the high bio load i might recieve....Anyway thanks kel...i will msg u tomorrow morn see how...becos i will be goin tp pacific marina in the afternoon tp purchase live rocks.