Country
    Singapore

Post Sound of the cooling fan...

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello all..

I've just bought a cooling fan for my fish tank. You know, i was really shocked that my aquarium temperature was about 33 Degrees Celsius! So, i've bought the fan today and it goes down to 28 now. Luckily.

But then again, the sound of the fan is driving me crazy. Can anyone tell me how can i reduce the emittance of sound or even better, sliently?
    It's a two cooling fan. Bought at Clementi Blk328. Brand by Yi ho trading Fish.

Another thing is that, can anyone please tell me how to decrease the temperature of my water? It's hard.. my java moss is kinda plae green, dying..
    I just set up this tank 4 days ago..

Alvin

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Is the fan AC or DC? I only have experience with DC fans (like those found in our PCs) and they are quite quiet.

If it is that bad, then set a timer to turn it on only when you are at work or sleeping.
    Or exchange and try a new one.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Unhappy

It's a AC fan.. Oh?? So, what is the difference between this two? Can you please tell me more about it, Brother? I bought it quite expensive..
    At first, i bought one fan, then, i hesitated and changed for a two fan.
    Then, now, going back to exchange again? Hmm.. Then, what brand do you recommend me? This fan is really a headache as my top part of the tank got no more space to place it. IT's really small.. my tank..

36cm by 16cm by 25cm...

Thanks a lot.
    Also, i want to ask,
    is my 13Watts lighting enough for my 13litres = 3.4Gallons of waters?
    [A very small tank]

I'm only growing java moss and hairgrass.. If it's not enough, can you please recommend me the amount of lighting i need? Anyone can reply to this. Thanks a lot.

Now, my temp is only 29.. No difference.. My moss are not doing well..

Alvin

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Errr... I have never tried AC fans for my tanks. I DIY my own DC fans from instructions at PetFrd.com.

I suppose the AC fans uses more electricity than DC fans? Maybe those who have tried both can give some feedback.

Your small tank's lighting is more than enough if you have CO2 injection and fertilisation.
    If you are not supplying CO2 or dosing fertiliser, it could be excessive. Such low-tech tanks can get by with about 2W/g.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Talking

Oh?? The light, It's more than enough? Oh, i do not have any CO2.. And for fertilizing, i have not added any liquid ones.. It's only 4days.. I'll do so when the moss starts to have some new growth. I hope so..

Hmm.. I think i will go and change for a better fan tomorrow.. This is really noisy.. Noiser than my computer one!! Now i know the difference of DC and AC.. And which one is more noisy.. So stupid of me to anyhow buy.. I really did a lot of mistakes le.. Haiz.. Regret also no use now.. But i will learn.. Maybe due to my impatience, which leads to this.. Ermm, Billy, hope you won't be angry.. I'm still new and trying..

Yo, friend, thanks a lot.
    A?? So late, you have not sleep? Do you have MSN? Care to add me?
    Ha.

Thanks a lot for sharing with me your knowledge, Juggler..

Alvin

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Juggler, Thanks a lot for your information.
    I've changed the cooling fan already. Although still got sound, it's not so noisy as before. This is good. My temp was about 32 when i reached home at 3pm.. Now, it's 27!! Luckily. Haha.

Thank you again, Juggler.

Ermm.. i've got something to share with some of you if you do want to get a new cooling fan --

If you want to get a powerful one, get prepared to have noisy sound. (That is not neccessary if the materials used are taken into consideration. If this is the case, it'll be more expensive then )

If you want to get a less powerful but slient one, go for the brand, Tornado..
    It's really slient. No joke. But the wind is real weak. I've tested just now.
    And the size of fan is really small. The good thing is that, it's slient. It cost $48. Really expensive. Cut throat.. Not worth lah..
    ya.. If you want, can go to Blk328, Clementi and ask.

Yea. that's all folks. Thanks again, Juggler.

Alvin

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    Why not just DIY your own fans?? all you need is a 12v ac/dc converter and computer fans!! my 4 fan setup was waaaaaaaaay less than $48 dollars..a dn very silent..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by scotworm
    Juggler, Thanks a lot for your information.
    I've changed the cooling fan already. Although still got sound, it's not so noisy as before. This is good. My temp was about 32 when i reached home at 3pm.. Now, it's 27!! Luckily. Haha.

Thank you again, Juggler.

Ermm.. i've got something to share with some of you if you do want to get a new cooling fan --

If you want to get a powerful one, get prepared to have noisy sound. (That is not neccessary if the materials used are taken into consideration. If this is the case, it'll be more expensive then )

If you want to get a less powerful but slient one, go for the brand, Tornado..
    It's really slient. No joke. But the wind is real weak. I've tested just now.
    And the size of fan is really small. The good thing is that, it's slient. It cost $48. Really expensive. Cut throat.. Not worth lah..
    ya.. If you want, can go to Blk328, Clementi and ask.

Yea. that's all folks. Thanks again, Juggler.

Alvin
    bro alvin

so in the end you still take the powerful and noisy one izit? because the $48 is too expensive (cut throat).
    don't worry, be happy

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Fan noise is a big issue with PC-modders nowadays... especially those that build the super-PCs. Walk around Sim Lim Square and Sim Lim Tower and talk to the shops there. They can probably recommend a few quiet fans... and not at cut-throat prices.

Also check out forums for PC-modding. There was one thread in AQ about those fans, but I can't find it. Maybe you can try searching AQs forums for it.

You can either DIY some fans or if you have already bought a aquarium fan set, replace the fans on it.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I found the thread... http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ead.php?t=7515.
    Good info on keeping fans noise down.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Riccia,

About the fan, i didn't bought it at $48.. It's too small and must think for future..
    What if i really buy that tornado fan and i want to upgrade my tank?
    Then, i will be wasting money.

I bought a big fan, powerful, but its noise is not so loud. It's exceptable.
    Unlike the previous one which i bought. Wah, that one, even i'm bathing, i can hear it inside my bathroom..

Yea, Riccia.
    Alvin

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Riccia,

About the fan, i didn't bought it at $48.. It's too small and must think for future..
    What if i really buy that tornado fan and i want to upgrade my tank?
    Then, i will be wasting money.

I bought a big fan, powerful, but its noise is not so loud. It's exceptable.
    Unlike the previous one which i bought. Wah, that one, even i'm bathing, i can hear it inside my bathroom..

Yea, Riccia.
    Alvin
    hello alvin

I bought a small one from NA recently. cost me $29 but it's very quiet. good enough for my 2ft tank. temperature between 26.2 to 27.7 nowadays.

at first I also felt it was quite expensive but it was really worth it. quiet & also quite pleasant looking with the holder. definitely a good recommendation from the owner.
    don't worry, be happy

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    It seems that everybody needs to go thru' the same process of learning things the hard way. This is a good example. Buying an AC fan (those from LFS) that sounded like Airplane propellers and latter find that DC fan works quieter. This tropic was discussed many times in this forum unfortunately, you must have missed it. Another thing is that to run it 24/7 to solve your moss problem. Try going thru previous discussions before you make your need move, like buying an cheap DC adaptor that melts.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi, KC..

What do you mean by the 24/7 to solve my moss problem?
    I really don't understand it.
    Oh, yes.. I always learn things in the hard way.. ha. Never mind, at least i've learnt something..

Thanks a lot.
    Alvin

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    24/7 is shortform for 24hours a day, 7 days a week. I.e. don't switch off the fans.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi, KC..

What do you mean by the 24/7 to solve my moss problem?
    I really don't understand it.
    Oh, yes.. I always learn things in the hard way.. ha. Never mind, at least i've learnt something..

Thanks a lot.
    Alvin
    Sorry for the late reply as I don't usually surf during weekend. I must thanks Vinz for helping out.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Merduka, I've split your questions to this thread.