Images
    Country
    Singapore

Talking The Ultimate Acclimatiser - Drip Method

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Recently my friend, "hxy", showed me how he acclimatised sensitive fishes. Probably some of you are doing it in similar ways. Anyway, I thought it is a good idea to share with all. I think there's a name to this - "Drip Method" - usually used for acclimatising sensitive marine fish.

Objective: To acclimatise fish in water of type "B" to those of type "A"

Methodology: The key part of the setup is the air-control valve we used to regulate air-flow in our air-pumps.
    The picture is a mockup of the system and I think it is very straight-forward to adapt to your use.

"A" - water that you want your new fish/shrimps to live in (eg. your tank)
    "B" - water in which the new fish/shrimps are currently residing (eg. the bag from LFS)

Start a siphon (you can use a syringe to pump water into the tube) going from "A" to "B". Use the tap to control water flow as slow as you want. Drip by drip. Over several hours, the fish in "B" will have gotten used to the water chemistry of "A", even the temperature is somewhat similar. It is now safe to pour or catch out the fish from "B" to "A".

Precaution/remarks:
    1) To prevent overflow, place container "B" in a bigger pail. It also prevents fish jumping out on the floor.
    2) You can add an air-pump in "B" if you think the critters would run out of air.

Actual trials:
    1) We managed to acclimitise some ram fries in acidic water pH 6.x to water of pH 7.x by dripping it overnight using one drop per second. No stress or casualties.
    2) We also tried partial water changing for my swordtail fries this way. After siphoning out the dirty water, we added the new water using above drip method. The fries did not get stressed and clamp up their tails. Previously they would [even with aged water from another tank] and resulted in some casualties.

For those trying to acclimatise their new shrimps, try this method and let us know if it works for you.

Cheers!
    Last edited by juggler; 17th May 2006 at 01:04. Reason: added more information
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Good Suggestion.
    Nicholas

Newbie en el cichlid enano

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Can 'A' be substituted as the main tank? That could be much simpler.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i think 'A' and 'B' pails are just mock-ups to illustrate the water flow. So in this case, 'A' is just our usual tank while 'B' is the holding area for the new fish.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I used similar method to aclimatise my fishes/shrimps, but a cruder way. I use a cloths peg instead to hold the tube to my fish tank and restrict the water flow. To prevent my pail from overflow, I place the inlet close to the water surface of my tank. If the water level of the tank drop far enough, the siphon will be broken and the water flow stops.

BC

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Juggler, thanks a million for the heads up. I should be able to cut down the fatality rate of new yamatos in the near future.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Cool! Thanks for sharing.

I guess sometimes the marines ppl are more particular

Great IDEA

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    KF- I forsee your cubicle full of drip systems overflowing to the next cubicle

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I also foresee tubes running all over your battalion of wild betta barracks once they start breeding...
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    A very good tip Koah Fong! Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The drip system has been in use by the killie guys for acclimatising fishes that were kept in different TDS values.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    very good suggestion!
    I can try with some boraras and some killie fry. what a better time to find this thread!
    Cheers,
    Andrew

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    This is an excellant idea !

This brought back memory that I saw someting similiar before at a small fish farm where an old lady kept and bred angle fishes. She used the same technique not for acclimatising but to aerate the fry-tanks (large clay bowls) and let the water overflow thru a small netted hole near the edge of the bowl. The source water was aged in a large overhead tank (liked those 2 tier fish tank). This way the fry can be heavily fed but not worry of polluting the water. The fry were fast-grown in there for 2 weeks before moving to the larger cement pond.
    This was many years back when I was in secondary school in the late '70, and the small fish farm was behind the Pei Wah School at Bukit Timah, which no longer there today.
    Me and few classmate used to visit there, and learning to keep Angles and breeding them was the coolest thing those day.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    erm can someone explain to me how this drip method works? how does the water travel through the tube and into tank B? sorry for asking noob question.
    Last edited by Justikanz; 4th Nov 2006 at 00:59. Reason: Try not to use sms short forms, thank you.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ah hup, siphon action lah
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    lol.. icic siphon.. but where to get the thingy shown in the picture enlarged?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hardward shop (gor-kim-tiam) or even C328 will sell.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    After acclimatisation, do you use net to catch faunas from B and put into A? or pour everything from B(faunas + water) back into A?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Ah_ZhaN View Post
    After acclimatisation, do you use net to catch faunas from B and put into A? or pour everything from B(faunas + water) back into A?
    I would normally pour everything (water and fish) from B through a net into another pail then release the fishes in the net into the tank

Never know what was in the original water from the shop....dont want to take chance
    Last edited by Justikanz; 5th Nov 2006 at 16:23.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Question

not sure if i got the correct stuff... but anyone also using this item for drip acclimatisation?

Last edited by Justikanz; 6th Nov 2006 at 14:11.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast