Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to take better pictures of our tanks?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Aye thanks, because I was studying Amano's pics and felt that some of them seemed to have been taken at a slightly upwards angle. Perhaps it was the lens used or it was done on purpose? Here's an example:

You can see the top of the water surface all the way to the back. How come? Is this just visual trickery on my part or an actual technique? Pardon me because I'm totally noob in photography.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by |squee|
    Aye thanks, because I was studying Amano's pics and felt that some of them seemed to have been taken at a slightly upwards angle. Perhaps it was the lens used or it was done on purpose?

You can see the top of the water surface all the way to the back. How come? Is this just visual trickery on my part or an actual technique? Pardon me because I'm totally noob in photography.
    Terrence,

Your earlier example is better for illustrating this point as you can see all four corners of the tank.

If it was indeed taken at an angle to the front glass pane, there are two possibilities. Either it's tilted up or downwards, or towards left/right.

When it's tilted left or right, you will see the the two side glass will not be symetrical with each other. Also, the top or bottom glass edge will not be parallel to the edge of the photo.

When it's tilted up or downwards, the everything will still by symetrical, and the top or bottom glass edge WILL still be parellel to the edge of the photo. However, the vertical lines will not be parallel to the left and right edge of the photo. The tank will seem to slant forward or fall backwards.

From the photo that you showed, all edges of the tank are paralled to the 4 edges of the tank. This perspective is usually achieved when shooting dead centre from the tank, ensuring that the film/CMOS pane is parallel with the front glass pane and the horizon for both the tank and the camera is level.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by baranne
    Pointing up is no no, as it would catch the tank light and overexpose your tank.
    Joe,

It's the other way round. Pointing the camera to a bright source will cause it to underexpose your picture as the camera thought it was already bright enough.

Similarly, when you point to a dark corner of the tank, the whole tank will be overexposed when the camera take the overall average reading with a large portion being dark.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by benny
    Joe,

It's the other way round. Pointing the camera to a bright source will cause it to underexpose your picture as the camera thought it was already bright enough.

Similarly, when you point to a dark corner of the tank, the whole tank will be overexposed when the camera take the overall average reading with a large portion being dark.

Cheers,
    Oops... you are right! Thanks for correcting me.
    Cheers,
    Joe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12