Thread: Need help on new 4 ft Tank!

Feedback Score

Need help on new 4 ft Tank!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello fellas,

I need help as I am setting up a new 4 ft planted tank.
    My current 4 ft population of Cardinals, Gold Tetras, Cories, Ottos and Hatchets are going into this new home.

I am using 2 x Diamond cannisters for the new tank.
    No CO2 though.

Need help on the following:

What kind of base fert (brand, weight) do I need?

Gravel: Weight?
    I hope to get blunt, small gravel as my cories need them, so can someone please recommend the gravel? I prefer darker colors.

Plants: Anyone can recommend some hardy plants please?

Cycling: How long do I need to cycle before my fishes can be put in? And where can I keep the existing ones?

Last: Did I miss out anything?

P.S: Kelstorm, I am busy with this tank this week, let's go to Gan's sometime next week alright?

Hmmm... we may need a little more info like your lighting.

If you really like cories, why not try doing a cory tank?
    In the book 'The Natural Aquarium' they used patches of Echinodorus Quadricostatus (I spell correctly) around the tank, so there is bare gravel and patches here and there which the cories swim through like a maze. It's quite nice. Since 4ft, you could do your tank longgitudinal, meaning one side crowded with tall plants and then a whole big bare patch of E.Quad. If you've ever been to Sam Yick in Marine Parade and see their hair grass tank, similar style.

Lonestar gravel does fine, with the cories I have had before, doesn't seem to harm, if you want it darker or more earthy, you can buy pure black gravel and mix it in. But I do not know how it'll look.

Cycling can take a week or two. 3 days after I set up my new tank, I added in 100 greeneyes, no problem, I was just lucky.
    Visit Spilopterus' Tank
    Fish of Fury

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the response, but what is Echinodorus Quadricostatus, and where can I find it?

Also, where can i find Lonestar gravel, and how much do I need?

Thanks guys, and still need more information.

E.Quad, you got to look out for it among the shelves, its a common plant to get around. Not always around, but it is available most of the time.

If you want to get lonestar gravel, its the gravel EVERYONE uses. hahaha... just try any planted shop. A few to recommend to you.

Aquamart - 2 bus stops away from Paya Lebar MRT
    Petmart - Serangoon North (down there got so many fish shops to buy gravel)

Then for base fert, you can actually buy the cheap ones like I did, $15 I think. Works just as good, with a few plant sticks and tablets which you can get from horticulture shops, works fine.

For more info on the plants, visit Tropica Website or
    the krib
    Visit Spilopterus' Tank
    Fish of Fury

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    [quote]
    ----------------
    On 4/24/2002 8:29:19 PM

Thanks for the response, but what is Echinodorus Quadricostatus, and where can I find it?

Also, where can i find Lonestar gravel, and how much do I need?

Thanks guys, and still need more information.
    ----------------
    Leonghui.. perhaps after the 3 of may.. coz my exams ends then.. and perhaps u might want to check out this site.. to calculate the amt of gravel that u need...
    dennerle
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Leonghui,

What do you mean by hardy plants? Is it because you don't have co2 or you want fast growing plants to cylcle you tank?

Lonestar gravel works perfectly fine for planted tank and it's also cory friendly. It's pretty common gravel and places like Petmart, Nature, Aquamart and even Gan's carry them.

You can consider JBL base fert cos so far I have good experience with it. It's quite cheap comparing to maybe Dennerle. But then again the price do reflect ones quality. So it depends on your budget.

The Lights at 72W should be quite insuffucient. You may want to consider upgrading it. Assuming that your tank dimensions are 120cm X 45cm X 45cm, the volume would be around 64 gallons. To achive 3W/g you'll need abt 192W.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Leong Hui,

JBL fert and Lonestar gravel seem to be a very good combination. Suggest Nature as you can get both of these get good prices. Chan of Nature also does light modification so he can help you with your lights. 72W is definitely not enough so suggest you speak with Chan to see how to get enough lights into your tank. He is friendly and should be able to give you lots of suggestion, just tell him your problem []

Oh, you should really really consider getting CO2, otherwise should forget about plants and keep LH instead []
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Leonghui,
    if u want hardy plants, other than that nana which i recommend.. can consider Echinodorus. species.. very tolerant of low lights.. easily available... at some market lfs, it is very cheap... java moss and java fern too...easy to keep... [] can keep red lotus too... []
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Hello fellas,

Thanks for the responses, Kelstorm knows what I need.
    I need plants that requires little lights, no need for fast growing, but must survive and not turn yellow.

More concerned currently for my fishes and the effect the plants will have on my fishes.

Lonestar, is it the RMC one? No. 8 Mesh?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Leong Hui, that is the correct Lonestar.

Kel, red lotus need lots and lots of light, and I believe CO2 too.

If you go for slow growing plants, be prepared to deal with BBA. Those nana leaves may not turn yellow, just black [] with BBA.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    Is 3 packets 60 kg of Lonestar enought?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 4/25/2002 10:25:57 PM

Is 3 packets 60 kg of Lonestar enought?
    ----------------
    Leong Hui, 3 pkts of lonestar is 66kg which is approximately 50litres by volume. Assuming your tank to be 4ftx1.5ft, this will be enough to fill to about 9cm high. You wouldn't need such a thick layer of gravel, so at most 2 packets or even 1 will do.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i got extra bag of lonestar...
    Cheers!

Benetay