Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    any one noe where to buy exotic frogs in sinapore for vivarium

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I believe it's illegal to own one.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i was hopping that someone breed them and wanted to sell them

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I saw many lfs selling feeder frogs. Maybe you can start with those frogs.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    k thx anyway

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    haha everyone scared

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Our dear AVA bans the sale of exotic frogs... and reptiles, for the matter, as pets... think part of the reason was that these critters scare the general public... I was like:*Duh*... If the reason was that they are listed under CITES, then it would have been more convincing...

Anyway, you can go thru the feeder frogs for reed frogs... They remain small and have interesting patterns, though the colour is plain and not as pretty as those exotics... Interesting fellas too...
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    Quote Originally Posted by 900801
    i was hopping that someone breed them and wanted to sell them
    DUH! if it was illegal why would someone breed , let alone sell them?????

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Think there will be people doing so lah... Just that you will not see or hear them sell publicly or announce that they are doing so...

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ppl keep before the ban or before ava was set up then they breed so i dont see why not ppl will breed them

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    Quote Originally Posted by Justikanz
    Think there will be people doing so lah... Just that you will not see or hear them sell publicly or announce that they are doing so...
    Precisely what i mean... why would someone post here when they have it and know its banned.. regardless they may have bred b4 the ban but they know NOW that its banned. Its so... DUH! its like saying.. "please fine me..i have too much money".

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    They can always PM the requestor... Arrange private meeting lor... No need to get worked up lah...

Anyway, it takes a lot of understanding of the animal to keep it well, so one should not buy in impulse, no matter how cute or cool they look as pets. Good to just try on reed frogs rescued from the bull frog feeders...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    not worked up la.. maybe this is the problem with writing..cannot hear tone..

Anyway, agree on the reed frogs.. very cute and you save them from the bull frogs also.. 2 good deeds in one..

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    found some tadpoles in my pond, about 3 different species

IS THAT ILLEGAL

ava is so pretentiously uneducated

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by floatbloat

IS THAT ILLEGAL

It could be local species or those that have been release intentionally or unintentionally. You WON"T see exotic species in the wild anywhere in Singapore.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by BFG
    You WON"T see exotic species in the wild anywhere in Singapore.
    i'll HOPE we won't see them in the wild... don't want irresponsible people abandoning their exotic pets, which is what AVA is very much concerned with as well...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by floatbloat

IS THAT ILLEGAL

Becareful that you dun end up with bulls escaped from aro tanks... They will inhabit your garden and feast on the fish and fauna of your garden...

If you have reed tads, you can keep them in a vivarum setup later or pass them on to those who are interested and have the capability to keep.

Oh, as much as we disagree with the policies of AVA, try not to jest them... Keke... Won't want them to come cok cok us...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Australia
    I guess the AVA is just trying to protect the local indigenous wildlife.

A case to point here in Australia is the cane toad. Though not frogs , they have succeeded in outcompeting many native frogs for food and space, besides poisoning snakes and other animals (dogs for example ) which attempts to eat it. Toxins are secreted in its head region and is responsible for killing numerous native snakes. They were originally introduced to control cane beetles, but they were found to be of no use. So people left them in the wild and they bred like rabbits...er...toads

I guess its better to be safe than sorry, and although I love "oggling" at frogs in websites dedicated to them, I would very much still stick to the rule ( we're not allowed to keep them here too). Besides, isn't there a reason why many of the exotic frogs are called poison dart frogs? Aren't they used by the South American Indians to lace darts for hunting? Hmm, wouldn't want your dog swallowing one

Min
    Regards

MIN

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Frankly, we really wish that AVA has that in mind... They placed in their website that one of the main reason for the ban was that they scare alot of people... Anyway, most of the exotic amphibians would find the ambient here too hot for them... But THERE is always a risk... But AVA is not in Australia... Frankly, you should be glad that AVA is not Australian... Haha... Oops... Must give AVA the benefit of the doubt lah...

But then again, err... do you see introduced fish and plants? AVA allows that... The introduced luohans, guppies etc had actually altered the natural waterways of Singapore...

But we always agree that it is better to see than to keep, esp if you are not able to keep them properly.

Oh, dart frogs got their poison from their diet in nature... Tank bred darts normally lose their poison...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Australia
    Hehe, thanks for the clarification on the "poison status" of dart frogs Justikanz.

I also think AVA is in need of a better justification. And although there is no AVA here, the wildlife or customs department, I'm not sure, is even more stringent. Although tree frogs are native to the northern states, in New South Wales we are not allowed to keep them. Same goes for turtles. No crossing borders. So i only see fish and mammals in petshops.

Yes, its pretty appaling that luohans and guppies are released into waterways. The same happens in Malaysia too. I think the guppies/mosquito fish were released a while back, to control mosquitoes, but the luohans are just an act of indiscriminate 'dumping'. Personally, I feel the public is in need of better education and awareness. I was taken aback sometime ago when I visited relatives, one who raised a couple hundred of luohans. As the fad went, so did the fish, except into a river of a nearby peat forest! Do hope some snakehead or something decide to gobble up all the small fish the moment they were released hehehe.

So where does the responsibility lie. The authorities made a mistake ages ago with the mosquito fish. Now mosquitoes still rampant at large, and the fish outcompeting native species. The authorities should initiate public education, or at least the pet shop owners, so that advice (or a warning sign stuck on the tank!) can be given to customers who purchase particular species. Of course hobbyist should also strive to educate others, and where better than on forums hey . No point stunting the hobby with one-sided bans and all while some other species looms to take over the ecosystem.

Just my 5 cents worth.

Min
    Regards

MIN

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast