Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: How to test for leaks in CO2 system?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Red face How to test for leaks in CO2 system?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Anyone knows how to check for leakages in the CO2 system? Somehow when I turn off the main supply knob on the CO2 cylinder, there is still bubbling in my bubble counter after more than 2 hours. Is this normal or there is a leakage? I read that the bubbling should only last for 1-2 hours.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Regards

I bet yours is a manual regulator. And Yes this will happen on a manual regulator. Bad news if it is a solenoid and will suspect that there is a leakage. May have to go for a servicing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Damage Solenoid

Hey Man,

Seem like your solenoid goes kaput (dead ), check again on hours where it is not suppose to on for bubble. If there is still movement on the bubble counter ..time to change the solenoid. For all other leakages ...use soap solution around the area.

Pat
    Fishnatic

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    If yours is a manual regulator, submerge the canister in pail of water.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    the 'life time' of residual bubbling after the main valve is shut depends on the bubbling rate. does the bubbling eventually stop or does it keep bubbling? i seriously doubt that the bubbling is continous. if it does, then there is a problem with cylinder main valve. use some soapy water to check the main valve for leakage.

if you are using a regulator with solenoid, shut the main valve and switch off the solenoid. note the pressure indicated on the gauges. leave overnight and observe if the pressure has changed.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ya... Manual regulator... Well, the bubbling is like as if the cylinder's main valve is still open. I adjust the regulator, the bubbles also change accordingly. I dun think the regulator's fault that's causing this problem.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    OK.... Found out what's the #$!%$! problem... The gas cylinder has no problem but the regulator has... Placed the cylinder and regulator into a bucket n bubbles came out from the regulator near the gauge area... Any supporters on repairing or buying a new regulator?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    comebashme, what does your regulator look like?

This is a manual regulator. (aka manual valve)

This is a regulator with solenoid attached (very unclear old picture, sorry about that)

If it's a manual regulator, you'd be better off buying the regulator with solenoid attached. If it's the solenoid one you have right now, bring it back to the shop and see what they can do.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yup... Mine's the manual regulator... How much does one of those solenoid regulators cost? It's running on electricity, is it? Thinking of those electric regulators so i can use those timer plugs to auto-off the gas supply.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Get a solenoid regulator then... it turns off the gas for you automatically. Costs in the region of $100-$120. More expensive brands like Dennerle/Bioplast will cost much more.