Country
    Indonesia
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by Justikanz
    Ermm... Like to comment on this...

Secondly, the ones with the spots are the lepeord danios (Brachydanio "frankei")... They might or might not be a true separate species but they are different. Like most barbs and tetras, female zebra danios are plumper in the middle but essentially look just like the males.
    Hah... I was told by a guy in LFS that danios with black spots on their body is the female ones... What a smart guy...
    Thanks for your info Justikanz.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Clementi
    Thanks Terence, your feedback is timely. I was about to head home and do water change. So just leave it and the oil will go away?

BTW, do you guys out there think I am overloading my tank. Mine is 2 1/2 feet tank and I stock it with
    30 Cardinal tetras
    15 Silver Tipped tetras
    7 Black widow tetras
    6 Zebra Danios
    3 rummy nose tetras
    2 Otos
    that's quite high for a 2 1/2 feet, u may consider to let go some...
    overstocking will have detrimental effects....
    if u letting go fishes, let me know k....haha
    i'm ADDicted to this wonderful hobby

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Another death

Another cardinal tetra died. There was a dark patch at its tail. Looks a little bruise. Could this be a sign of disease?

I did 50% water change last nite and kept my fingers crossed. I have to say the silver tipped tetras are very hardy indeed. I bot 15 and all intact for the last 3 weeks.

As most of you guys said, my tank is over stock but I just love seeing so many fishes swiming in a school. I ll do 50% water change twice a week. Will this help? Ultimately, will my tank be stablised if I do decide to keep them all? Sorry bro, not giving away any at this point but will keep you in mind.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    [QUOTE=Clementi]One thing I noticed recently is my tank has less bubbling effect? Weeks ago, I could see the bubbles rising all the time. Lately there isnt as much. What could this be? Cld this be a ph problem?

Hi guys, can anyone enlighten me with the bubbling effect in my tank? Lately, there seems to be less bubbling effect. What could this be?

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    bubbling can boil down to a few factors... plant density, light intensity (WPG) and also co2 levels...

co2 levels i heard are best kept at 30 ppm, calculators are found online ask around.

Lights are best at a rough est, 3 wpg

and more plants are better also as bubbling is just indicative of a saturation of O2 levels where O2 cant be absorbed into the water and thus form as bubbles.

What is your tank specs.?
    Holy is the Lord, God Almighty ! The Earth is filled with His Glory !
    90 x 50 x 50 cm tank: Eheim 2217; ANS CO2 Solenoid with 60mm intense bazooka; Zetlight 6400; Teco 500 Chiller; Borneo Wild Steel inlet/outlet
    Ferts: Dry Mixture/Dr Mallicks. Temp: 26 degrees Substrate: ADA Amazonia

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Clementi,
    The bruise you saw on the cardinal is a disease, I have had partial sucess using a medication call Befuran.( Yellow packaging, for internal and external parasites. ) It will not harm your plants. But if the sick fish does not heal within 3-4 days, my advise is to quarantine the fish as it will spread to the rest of the group. Your group will have a much higher chance of survival if the sick fish is removed. Cardinals are quite hardy fellas, if your water parameters are good they should have no problem surviving this. Neons are the worst, Kanna means all must go
    Hope this helps, good luck.
    Something about the water & the fishes that calms me down.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillipians
    bubbling can boil down to a few factors... plant density, light intensity (WPG) and also co2 levels...

co2 levels i heard are best kept at 30 ppm, calculators are found online ask around.

Lights are best at a rough est, 3 wpg

and more plants are better also as bubbling is just indicative of a saturation of O2 levels where O2 cant be absorbed into the water and thus form as bubbles.

What is your tank specs.?
    Thanks but I have to say mine is a low tech tank. I did DIY CO2, just bot some fertilizered gravel from LFS and covered with fine gravels.

Tank specs is Length: 30in, Height 17in and width 15in.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by michael lai
    Hi Clementi,
    The bruise you saw on the cardinal is a disease, I have had partial sucess using a medication call Befuran.( Yellow packaging, for internal and external parasites. ) It will not harm your plants. But if the sick fish does not heal within 3-4 days, my advise is to quarantine the fish as it will spread to the rest of the group. Your group will have a much higher chance of survival if the sick fish is removed. Cardinals are quite hardy fellas, if your water parameters are good they should have no problem surviving this. Neons are the worst, Kanna means all must go
    Hope this helps, good luck.
    Hi, I found the bruise patch on the dead cardinal. I have not seen that on the others. Does this means the rest of the fellas are alright or shld I still medicate the whole tank with Befuran?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Think you need to get a hospital tank soon. Continue monitoring your fish and keep your fingers crossed.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Clementi,
    I think you should medicate the entire tank. Unless you UV the water, there are bound to be survivors( Bacterial ). Maintaining good water conditions is the only way to beat them. Do not be too lazy to change water, do not overfeed and don't overcrowd. I know it sounds like the army but really its not that tough. Love them and you will find your fish is always nicer than your friend's.
    Peace, enjoy.
    Something about the water & the fishes that calms me down.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Clementi, changing water too many times may not be a good solution. Consider the water chemistry, ammonia (which is harmful to fish) requires acid to break it down into ammonium. So, a stable water which is slighlty acidic is good. As you know our HDB water has an average PH of 7.6. Besides, water change always stresses the fish. Mind you that ammonium can reverse and convert back to ammonia when it's alkalic.

Nitrifying bacteria which converts ammonia/ammonium into nitrite/nitrate may not be enough or effective as over population causes lack of oxigen which may impede the effectiveness of these bacteria.

Bottom line, reduce overpopulation.. maybe you can give me some of your fish, friend..

Lesson learnt, there will be no more deaths in my tank after the holocaust. Of cause, with only 3 fishes in my 500L tank helps.

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hahah anyway just to reply to the earlier posti made, i think DIY co2 is hard to achieve bubblling effect due to the inability for constant output, so i think u just have to make do with it. anywae bubbling is not always needed for plant growth, healthy plants do not need to bubble though. Make sure none turns brown or wilt.. anywae yea, try to bring down the livestock... may prove to be detrimental. And i dont change water every week, i only do so once in 4 - 5 weeks sometimes 6 depending on mood heh, make sure your filter is working properly and also enough plants to take in the nitratre shouldne be a prob liao
    Holy is the Lord, God Almighty ! The Earth is filled with His Glory !
    90 x 50 x 50 cm tank: Eheim 2217; ANS CO2 Solenoid with 60mm intense bazooka; Zetlight 6400; Teco 500 Chiller; Borneo Wild Steel inlet/outlet
    Ferts: Dry Mixture/Dr Mallicks. Temp: 26 degrees Substrate: ADA Amazonia

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Over the past 2 days I have seen a white patch on the body around the dorsal fin areas of my cardinals. 2 deaths so far and I have used Waterlife 'Proxxxx' (cant remember the spelling) to medicate them. BTW, recommended by the LFS. Any idea what sort of disease is that? My black widow, silver tipped and Zebra Danios seems ok. Knock on wood!! Any suggestion on what should I do? BTW, could this be Neon Tetra disease?
    Last edited by Clementi; 19th Sep 2005 at 09:58.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by sage08
    Clementi, changing water too many times may not be a good solution. Consider the water chemistry, ammonia (which is harmful to fish) requires acid to break it down into ammonium. So, a stable water which is slighlty acidic is good. As you know our HDB water has an average PH of 7.6. Besides, water change always stresses the fish. Mind you that ammonium can reverse and convert back to ammonia when it's alkalic.

Nitrifying bacteria which converts ammonia/ammonium into nitrite/nitrate may not be enough or effective as over population causes lack of oxigen which may impede the effectiveness of these bacteria.

Bottom line, reduce overpopulation.. maybe you can give me some of your fish, friend..

Lesson learnt, there will be no more deaths in my tank after the holocaust. Of cause, with only 3 fishes in my 500L tank helps.
    YOu and all your test kits, gadgets and water parameters yet you killed 40-50 fishes in a week. Please lah...

I suggest you go back to basic and stop experimenting with lives!!

No worries guys, Sage and I are friends!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Clementi
    YOu and all your test kits, gadgets and water parameters yet you killed 40-50 fishes in a week. Please lah...

I suggest you go back to basic and stop experimenting with lives!!

No worries guys, Sage and I are friends!
    You mean the holocaust chamber.. hmm... i tried dousing it with sodium bikarbonate to harden the water and ended up with lots of dead fish and white spot.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Continue furthur discussions on fish health in the appropriate forum section

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234