Images
    Country
    Singapore

Opinions needed

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    What should I do with this... I've already decided on E Tenellus for the foreground and I'll have Taiwan moss covering the left branch, the highest branch and the piece sticking out second from the right... Trying to go for a really minimal(and easy) set-up... I will not have a background on this, I'll use the white wall behind for that...

What can I use for livestock too? I've already got Boraras Merah maybe Tiger shrimps in mind, but I'd also like something that's as inquisitive as a Betta, stays small and explore the holes in the driftwood... Any ideas?

Ignore the wire... Pretend it's not there..

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You should post up the pic again with substrate in it, and the wood in the position you want. Addition of the substrate really makes a difference

Can also post up different positions of the wood in your tank with substrate in it and ask for comments.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I really need to read what I type before I post... I've pretty much got my heart set on this placement(of the DW). What I need are plant and livestock suggestions... I will not have CO2 on this, if that helps with plant suggestions. Also, no tall background plants. Substrate will be Onyx Sand.
    I'll try and get the substrate in and take pics tomorrow Terence.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Just a suggestion actually. But frankly the driftwood doesn't work for me. Perhaps others will have a different view.

Nanas/java fern, moss and a bare white sand foreground looks appealing.

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hi there, i think you can still make something good outa it. Its a little too centralised as it is now and you should make it lean agst the left side, then right protruding side coming out a little, then sink the DW into the sand you are gonna use making it more natural. Tie some moss on both the left and right side. Tenellus would be good but i think for a small tank, HC is even better add nanas or ferns in the centre as well so to make it more 'natural'
    Holy is the Lord, God Almighty ! The Earth is filled with His Glory !
    90 x 50 x 50 cm tank: Eheim 2217; ANS CO2 Solenoid with 60mm intense bazooka; Zetlight 6400; Teco 500 Chiller; Borneo Wild Steel inlet/outlet
    Ferts: Dry Mixture/Dr Mallicks. Temp: 26 degrees Substrate: ADA Amazonia

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Suggestion for fauna:

Khulis if you want loaches, Betta coccina if you dun mind their jumping issues, croaking gouramis or chocolate gouramis should go well with the Boraras merah and the shrimps...

Or a goby?
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    the wood is too big. Pour your gravel in without moving the wood now, so that its stay thats size, with part buried.

Tie the top with taiwan moss leaving the center/low bare. In time to come, you may get a TREE effect. Use 1 or 2 small rocks at the ROOT to give it a balance.

Lawn can be tenellus, which can be quite messy. Hairgrass is another choice, or you may considered moss, mini pellia.

For fish,
    1. A school of (eg) maculatus is perfect.
    2. A pair of apistogramma
    3. A pair of betta

Check out shops like ecoculture, biotope, or whichever nearer to you selling them.
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

heya

but don't you think the piece of wood looks similar to cheekoks wood?

anyway i have tenullus to pass you justa few runners.

and maybe if yuo decide against tenullus for no apparent reason, you might try an all white substrate, of just white sand in the front concept. then you fill up the foreground with small pieces of wood/rock tied with moss.

thats just a thought

regards

jiesheng

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I think Bettas are completely out for me... I do plan on having Tiger shrimps in there... I think I'll look into Gobies...

I want a messy looking tank... And I've had enough of HC. A really pain to plant and maintain.

Thanks everyone.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    pardon my ignorance... what is cheekoks wood?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Brian,

That's a really nice piece of wood. What's the size of your tank? It looks like a 45 cm set up.

By the way, oyama also has white color background. As for fishes, have you considered pygmy corydoras? They are fairly curious and it will be nice to see a small school in a tank like that.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    How big is your tank, anyway?

With shrimps, you can also try Corydoras Hastatus...

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by benny
    What's the size of your tank? It looks like a 45 cm set up.
    Damn... You're good. It is an 18 incher... Do Corys dig in the substrate? I'll have rooted plants, won't it be a problem if they do dig?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Corydoras Hastatus don't dig much... Spends quite a lot of time in mid-water. Stays small and looks rather cute and attractive. My 2 cents...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Guess I'll drop by Biotope this weekend and take a look. Anyone know if they carry them, or where I'd be able to see them?
    Jiesheng, thanks for the offer, but I won't be setting up this tank until some time at the end of the month... If the offer's still good, maybe I could pick it up then?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You're asking about Corydoras Hastatus ? I recently bought some from Wu Hu at Havelock Rd... You can then walk down the block to look for shrimps at KS! Keke...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Pygmy corydoras don't dig into the substrate. They have a maximum size of only 3 cm and certain species like Corydoras hastatus and Corydoras pygmaeus are mid level schooling fishes. They retail from S$1 to 4.50 depending of species and where you pick them up from.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?