Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Dosing iron with ... paper clips?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Dosing iron with ... paper clips?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Has this ever been discussed? I searched the entire forum but couldn't find any discussion on using paper clips... Did i remember correctly? or is my brain fried?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by learner
    Has this ever been discussed? I searched the entire forum but couldn't find any discussion on using paper clips... Did i remember correctly? or is my brain fried?
    More likely u are bery overworked and need a prolong rest .
    You can only dose rust with paper clip ...
    otherwise MOH will issue paper clip to blood donor instead of iron tablets - maybe put this idea to cut waste panel and see if it will be adopted

tango
    Adopt all unwanted neon & cardinal tetra

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Think there was a short discussion on unintentional iron dosing using staplets that was used to staple moss to fake wall.

Paper clips will take a longer time to rust and release the iron... But why bother?? Just buy and use the liquid ferts lah...
    Last edited by Justikanz; 12th Sep 2005 at 17:17.
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    or use the iron tablets?..lol

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You can try burying some iron nails into the substrate to provide the iron. It should work.

BC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Iron isn't that critical of a nutrient to a plant. Why bother to go about wasting your time and doing something crazy? Focus more on the CO2 and macros but do add the micros routinely as well.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Indonesia
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterGwee
    Iron isn't that critical of a nutrient to a plant. Why bother to go about wasting your time and doing something crazy? Focus more on the CO2 and macros but do add the micros routinely as well.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Isn't micros include iron too...?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Yup, but folks seems to believe that iron is something very important to get healthy "red" plant growth. That is certainly a myth....

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    My plants are showing iron deficiency.. that's why i tot of dosing iron.. anyway i remembered wrongly...

let me go check the forum again for staplets instead of paper clips and see what i get ..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by learner
    My plants are showing iron deficiency.. that's why i tot of dosing iron.. anyway i remembered wrongly...

let me go check the forum again for staplets instead of paper clips and see what i get ..
    Highly unlikely if you are dosing enough general traces with products like TMG or Flourish. I'll start with CO2 and then NO3 for your issue.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Noticed that red plants such as tiger lotus tend to turn greenish when lack of iron dosing.Reddish color returned in few days time after iron dose.This is based on dennerle e15.No other liquid fert was added.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Actually it probably would work since rust is FeO3, Iron oxide, which naturally occurs in rocks/soil in rivers and ponds. Though I'd imagine you should only use A staplet... instead of a whole paper clip. Also take note that rust or oxidisation absorbs oxygen from it's surroundings. And paper clips aren't made entirely of iron either... Chromium is used to make them shiny I think. And I doubt plants absorb that.