Images
    Country
    Singapore

Recommended fauna for 1ft shrimp tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Yeah!! The date to start my new shrimp tank is getting very near!... Need some suggestions on the fauna in it... Else I will end up with lots of fish and no theme...

The tank will be a 1ft cube and I intend to use rocks for scaping, with some small broken driftwood scattering around. Plants will be moss (Java and christmas), pelia, MM, APP, pennywort and maybe hairgrass in the backgound. The tank is set to be in the office so temperature should be around 27C or less. I also intend to have a hangon filter with Java moss at the inlet. Lighting will be dependant on the lighting available at the office.

I have, in my small makeshift shrimp tank doubling as a fish holding tank at home, Corydoras hastatus, Dario dario, Boraras Brigittae, Trichopsis pumila and Stiphodon elegans. I also have access to the Endler's livebearer.

I intend to have cherry and bee shrimps in the tank and would like to keep some fish with them. Would it be good to keep a couple of otos with them? And what fish, out of those listed above (including the Endler's) would you recommend? A combination would also be nice...

It would be nice if the shrimps can breed eventually but that is not the goal...

Come on, make your suggestions... Many thanks!
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Any one wants to suggest? I need some suggestions as I realy dunno which fish to use... ... Thanks!

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I keep Boraras Maculatus with my Cherry Shrimps. I found they are quite peaceful to the shrimps. The shrimps can multiply too.

I have not tried other fauna.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I think your Boraras Brigittae would make a good addition to your tank...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for the suggestions! Seems that Boraras Brigittae and its cousins are very popular with shrimps... I almost always see them being used in shrimp tanks... But they have a habit of hiding and being 'scardy cats' without other fish around... That's why I was asking for other fish...

Anyone tried other fish? Else would have to stick to Boraras Brigittae... Would anyone know if Endler's be good shrimp companions?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Endlers tend to be nippy with shrimps especially baby shrimplets. B. Briggitae is a definate good choice. I have 4 of them in my office 1 footer with bee and cherries. They get along fine. For a 1 foot cube, I would think that otos look a tad too big. Breaks the proportion of the tank up. Post pics when its up dude!
    Cheerio!

Edmund Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I see... Tot of the Endlers as they are colourful and afterall rather ex! Keke... So, if I can get my hands on them, why not?...

Dario dario and Trichopsis pumila need live food, right? If otos are too big for 1ft cube, then so is Stiphodon elegans... So, they are all out, together with the Endlers...

What about Corydoras hastatus?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    there is a fish called the rocket fish. similar to pencil fish.
    Nicholas

Newbie en el cichlid enano

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi, can someone please post a picture of Boraras Brigittae so that i can see?

Thanks a lot...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    I keep B Bridgitae with Cherry Shrimps in my 2.5ftx1.5x1.5 tank. They dont bother the cherries so they make good company. I will add some Sundadanio Axelrodi to the tank for color variety soon. I have a 1ft cube that currently host baby Endlers, Otocinclus and CRS.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Kanz, the hastatus are an excellent choice for a 1ft tank with shrimps. I have 30 of them schooling about in a 1ft tank with the snails you gave me the other time.

Scotworm, an image search on Google for Boraras brigittae will give you enough images for you to look at.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Wackytpt
    there is a fish called the rocket fish. similar to pencil fish.
    You mean the rocket pencil? Or the clown killie (also called a rocket fish)?
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by scotworm
    Hi, can someone please post a picture of Boraras Brigittae so that i can see?

Thanks a lot...
    This link should help you out.

Fish pics.