Images
    Country
    Singapore

a low light alternative to glosso

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    IMHO, Glossostigma can be more trouble than it's worth, unless you are absolutely willing to invest in the lighting (min 3 W per gallon) and ample CO2 it requires. Otherwise, one shouldn't be surprised if it doesn't grow right or at all.

An alternative that could be worth consideration is the fern genus Marsilea (esp the locally found M. crenata), which I have explored these past few weeks. The picture below shows why its common name is four-leaf clover fern. This is the emmersed foliage. The submersed foliage is rather like Glossostigma, with a spoon-shaped thallus that hugs the substrate (the more light, the lower it stays). Some of Amano's smaller tanks use Marsilea and the effect is similar to Glosso, albeit slightly less lush. And unlike Glosso, they spread using a thin rhizome beneath the surface.

I bought mine from Fish Fairy (the little LFS off Ang Mo Kio Ave 3, opp. the old NTUC) and got another batch gratis from uncle Teo at Lim Chu Kang a couple of weeks ago. Now they, both in bright and shady spots, are already developing submersed foliage and spreading out nicely.

Other LFS dun seem to stock this nice little fern, but Teo has lots in one of his low basins beside the large pond.

Another sight: Nature Aquarium Chan's centrepiece tank is now filled with hundreds of free-swimming boosemanii fry from the batch he had a month ago. They must have fed on infusoria amongst the thick riccia. Hope they manage to grow out.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    marc, isnt it a Terrarium plant? remember seeing it in the Oriental's plant book... another thing abt glosso.. they actually grow horizontally in my 4ft with jus 4x36watts.. but i had to remove them becoz there were BBA on them

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Simon it is aquatic. But the aquatic foilage is not the four leaf clover shape you see in the above picture. It will become spoon shape... a bit like glosso. Amano have some setup with this plant but it doesn't seem to carpet as well as glosso.
    not sure about the low light part, never have the chance to try it since it is so rare in LFS.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ck, try H20... i got it from there the last time

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    hey guys,

one main factor why glosso is not thriving could be TEMPERATURE. I have seen beautiful tank with Glosso but they are mostly in air-condition environment..

Glosso love 26 degree celsius, any comment on my view?

--
    colin

My tank temp is around 27-28 and glosso is forming a very thick carpet. Very soon I've to start trimming already.

Tank is 4x2x1.5ft (LxBxH), lighting is 6x36W.

Wah lau, I think my lighting must be seow. I got 36 X 6 and 30 X 3, phew! Maybe I should cut down a little here and there. But after changing the light for my tank, the first time the MM actually grows. Even the hygro is crawling, the glosso, just planted only, so do not how well it is doing, but since it is bubbling. I guess it should be doing fine.

My tank temp is around 28C

Glosso is not a very fast grower is it?
    Visit Spilopterus' Tank
    Fish of Fury

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 4/30/2002 9:01:31 AM

hey guys,

one main factor why glosso is not thriving could be TEMPERATURE. I have seen beautiful tank with Glosso but they are mostly in air-condition environment..

Glosso love 26 degree celsius, any comment on my view?

--
    colin
    ----------------
    Not quite right. Light should be more important. My glosso grows in temperature of up to 32C in my 30L tank with 72W lights. But it didn't form a compact carpet but loosely -- my Apistos can tunnel in and out of it.

Marcus: Does Marsilea grow slower than glosso? Less maintenance?
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks