Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Mites in soil?

Mites in soil?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I noticed recently that shortly after watering my new vivarium (completely dry, no water feature), I could see hundreds of tiny white bugs that resemble a mite of some kind emerge from the substrate mix (Coco bedding, orchid bark, and sphagnum) and can be seen crawling EVERYWHERE on the substrate.

I don't notice any signs of these critters on any of my geckoes, and they seem to gather in large numbers on the random stools and dead feeder insects that dot the bottom of the enclosure. Are these a parasite, or some sort of clean-up crew that are actually beneficial for my tank? I just can't tell.

Any ideas?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Here's a earlier thread on a similar topic:

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...t=garlic+spray

Interesting...
    I just might have to try that. Thanks for the link!

Edit: One concern I would raise goes unanswered in that thread. How would such a spray affect my geckos and anoles? It's not an overly large vivarium built in a 25 High aquarium, which despite it's overt tallness it's basic dimensions are the same as a 10 gallon...two and a half stacked on one another, I suppose.

I would worry such a spray would either drive my animals up to the very top of the tank permanently or make them ill. I'll search on this, but if anyone has any ideas let me know.
    Last edited by RTanger; 24th Sep 2005 at 15:00.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    how wads the problem now? was the garlic water effective ? I'm kinda worried that it will leave behind a garlic stench....

like itssg had said..cow also die. think better dun spray too much.

Quote Originally Posted by itssg
    Yes. fresh one. No powerful? You can keep inside a bottle with water. Then smell it on 2nd day. See whether it is strong or not. (Cow also die...)

I haven't tried it yet. I don't know how my animals would handle the garlic and I can't find any info on it except that garlic spray is normally used in gardening applications. That's on a whole other scale than a lil' vivarium here...

And the problem is getting worse...I'm running out of options here

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I tried that in my vivarium with newts, didn't see much of the mites now, probably still some but less. Newts are okay, only you have to live with the stench for few days

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    perhaps u can try the method, juz remove your geckos into another tank to holding juz for a few days while u try out the garlic thing

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen
    perhaps u can try the method, juz remove your geckos into another tank to holding juz for a few days while u try out the garlic thing
    Good idea on removing the geckos. My viviarium is quite dense with lots of hiding place...so it's hard to remove the newts

My tank has the same problem. Lots of ground cover, lot's of hiding places. I have a stump acting as a pot, filled with soil and it's definitely rooted to the base now, I try and move it and half the tank soil starts shifting...and of course back there is where the three hide, and I also appear to have a baby gecko running around in there too. I seen him twice now over the past couple of weeks, and he's maybe...an inch long? I have no idea how I'll catch him...