Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Help! Non priming filter. (Tank water in the Mouth!)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Help! Non priming filter. (Tank water in the Mouth!)

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all Eheim luvas,
    I got a prob and I need good advice. See I have a 2260 filter (yes, the one that looks like a dustbin). Everytime i wash the filter, I have to go through a ritual of trying to get the water to flow. I had to suck the tube and sometimes, fish water gets into my mouth, yikes!
    Rule of thumb i learnt - always keep the filter lower than the tank. (Gravity)
    Any other advise to ease the process?

That's not all. After getting the thing to flow, there's always a mixture of air that comes out along with the water. I have no idea how the air supply is endless coz the filter is sealed shut. I tilt it here and there and by some luck after a few days, the 'air effect' stops.
    Anyone has a way around this problem too?

I'm using the 2228.

fully fill your filter.

Then when you run your filter you try to shake it. Shake and shake then slowly all the air will come out

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hey Weileong,
    Thanks for the tip. I did both, still got the problem, by some luck, I must have hit the correct 'spot', the problem was resolved but that is nto until quite a few days later, I almost gave up hope.

Is that the only method??

I'm just dreading the next filter wash, it's one mother of a filter.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    quite simple... No need to suck at all. Easier done than describing it.

1) Fill the canister.
    2) Close the motor/lid.
    3) place it on a stool or anywhere lower than the tank, but not on the floor.
    4) Lower the end of the "return hose to the tank" and place in a small pail.
    5) Tilt the canister on its side so that water flow out from the hose. this will prime the U-tube at the water intake of the filter.
    6) Tilt the canister back up, but keep the hose in the pail until all the air is expelled.
    7) turn off the filter and return the hose to the tank.
    Voila! Prime without sucking.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi CK Yeo, ur step 7 mentioned turning off the filter, but u did not mention during which step do u turn on the filter.

what I did:
    i) Fill up the filter to full
    ii)Fill up both the inlet & outlet tubing with water (pour into tubing using a PET bottle)
    iii) Turn on the filter

Works for me.

Cheers.
    When driving, make sure your mata is not on the wanita!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi, just wondering (cos i've converted to filters with priming system now):

instead of filling up the canister and the tubes, isn't it easier to attach a $2 siphon to the outlet and pump? the water will then flow from the inlet (ie suck water from the tank), into the canister and out the outlet.

i used to do that, just that i hated the part about having to remove the rainbar from the outlet. (if you can pour water down the outlet, means you've already removed the rainbar, right?)
    P-L-E-C-O-R-Y=M-A-N-I-A!!! YEAH!
    FLORENCE, capital of the region of Tuscany, has a population of around half a million inhabitants, spreads on the banks of the Arno, between the Adriatic and the Tyrrhenian seas, almost in the middle of the Italian peninsula. It is a city which bustles with industry and craft, commerce and culture, art and science.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi coryfav, whenever I wash the filter, I will detach the tubings for cleaning too -> to get rid of the deposits in the tubing wall as much as possible.

Cheers.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi BT, yeah i know the tubes will look yucky after sometime, but oh no!!!

i think by the time i pull out all the tubes, i'll have no more strength to wash them. will end up replacing with new ones$$$ actually, sometimes i pulled until i gave up and just used a pair of scissors![]
    P-L-E-C-O-R-Y=M-A-N-I-A!!! YEAH!
    FLORENCE, capital of the region of Tuscany, has a population of around half a million inhabitants, spreads on the banks of the Arno, between the Adriatic and the Tyrrhenian seas, almost in the middle of the Italian peninsula. It is a city which bustles with industry and craft, commerce and culture, art and science.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    opps, left that part out. thanks BT.

Insert the "turn on filter" part after you put on the lid/motor.

You method will work also, but I am not sure I want to detach the U-tube from the suction cups, aim carefully with a PET bottle so that water doesn't leak everywhere... I am also not sure how to fill the U tube...
    Yes, you can start the whole thing with a $2 siphon also, but that's another piece of gadget which I dun really have a use for.
    it is personal preferance I suppose.

Regarding the self-priming part, it reminds me of a person on a newgroup insisting that she doesn't need to fill her canister for the self-priming ehiem to work, and claims that her ehiem ecco is faulty cos it doesn't self-prime without water in it... Any Ecco users out there?

a bit of hot water works wonders on harden and stuck Ehiem hoses...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi, for what I did, I dun remove the U-tube, it's such a pin trying to take out and put it back for my 4ft. what I did was to fill up as much water as possible in the tubing (or hose, rather) and then turn on the filter. there will be lots of bubbles initially but should clear up in no time.

Cheers.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    pple,
    wat is a U tube man? i'm lost.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I have an eheim ecco and I think they are hard to prime too..in fact one end of the attachments of the priming handle is broken (internal clip) due to too much torque and not enough lube when I was pumping the handle..heh

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    whenever i have to suck water into the tubing
    i always suck on the outlet pipe
    and i always stop once i hear water running down
    that's good enough for all your filter needs

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thought that I add one more idea to this thread.

Having filled the Eheim 2224 cannister with water, I connected up the hoses and turned on the filter hoping some magic would work but the sucking power from the intake hose is not strong enough.

So I connected a powerhead attached with Eheim hose (I used this for pumping water from a pail to tanks during water change) to the J-tube intake (with the filter-cap removed) in the tank. I turned on both the Eheim and the powerhead. The powerhead forced water up the intake hose and the priming is completed.

Actually we need not really connect up the hose from the powerhead to the J-tube intake. Just hold them close together would do. As long as the powerhead can force water up the intake.

I tried this method rather than CK Yeo's method above because the tank is in a tight space for me to meddle with the hoses in and out of the tank.

Hope my explanation is clear. Or you get some idea. Cheers!
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Wat about using Eheim Installation Set 1 on the intake pipe of the filter? It said 2 just fillup the inlet pipe by pouring in the water at the opening of the set. There's a cap u can open n closed for topping up of water 2 fill the inlet pipe of the external filter. No need 2 suck anymore.

12/16mm part no-4004310
    16/22mm part no-4005310

If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.