Images
    Country
    Singapore

Breeding T. heteromorpha

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Has anybody here successfully bred the harlequin fish?

I've been watching them do their mating dance each time I change water. But nothing seems to happen. One day, I was watching them do their dance this time with my reading glasses on. I realised that they were spawning -- but the eggs fell right into the hungry mouths of the waiting tankmates.

I had been missing their spawning all along because of my old flower eyes. This time, I chose to let them be as I was unprepared, but I can stimulate them quite easily. Keep from changing water for 1 month, then after a 50% water change, the dance begins...

So can anyone offer up some advise? Should I remove the parents after spawning? What else? Anyone care to share?

Since we're on the topic of spawning rasboras, has anyone observed their B. maculatus or urops spawn?
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee

brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.
    Philippians 4:8

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I dunno this may help or not but I read somewhere that the 'couples' are better off seperated from the others in the mating period and kept in another tank to let them 'do the do'. Since their tankmates are making a nutritious meal out of the eggs, maybe you should seperate this couple from the others.
    Why don't you sit on this?! ..|..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Boraras maculata are plant spawners that usually mate during the early hours of the morning. Condition the pair separately and then introduce into the spawning tank, which should have acidic water. Remove the parents when they are done with the spawning since I think they are egg predators. The eggs are small and fry are also quite small. [Info from Brittan's rasbora book - TFH publications]

As for T. heteromorpha, these guys seem to lay their eggs on the underside of overhanging Cryptocoryne leaves. You can replace these with swordplants or any plants that have broad leaves which tend to droop at an angle. Breeding tank water should be acidic in pH. This is what I recall after reading some breeding books.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Hougang, Singapore / Tg Balai Karimun, Indonesia
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks to all for your responses.

Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk
    Boraras maculata are plant spawners that usually mate during the early hours of the morning. Condition the pair separately and then introduce into the spawning tank, which should have acidic water. Remove the parents when they are done with the spawning since I think they are egg predators. The eggs are small and fry are also quite small. [Info from Brittan's rasbora book - TFH publications]
    Acidic water and in Randy's case. pH in the lower 4s stimulated the spawning response. Quite not what I dare try in my old shrimp tank -- the water might just eat through the old sealant! But that figures why I don't see any spawning behaviour in my maculatus and urops -- pH too neutral.

Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk
    As for T. heteromorpha, these guys seem to lay their eggs on the underside of overhanging Cryptocoryne leaves. You can replace these with swordplants or any plants that have broad leaves which tend to droop at an angle. Breeding tank water should be acidic in pH. This is what I recall after reading some breeding books.
    Strangely, mine doesn't do that. Instead the pair does the side-by-side dance and scatters eggs instead of placing them under leaves.
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee

brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.
    Philippians 4:8