Images
    Country
    Singapore

brown-red hairy stuff on moss

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I notice that some of my moss (christmas and local moss) has brownish red hairy tuffs sprouting from the stem, is this the spores or BBA?
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Mine is brownish hairy tuffs on drift wood only. []

I guess yours is more healthy with red pigment... ........colin

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I used to have BBA on my glosso and gravel, but miraculous they have gone away. I noticed that the BBA looks more "fleshy" hair and is brownish-black. The ones on the moss is brownish-red and has very fine hair. That's why wondering whether they're the same thing.

Anyway, already issued ops order to my anti-BBA squads, the 301 SAE and 362 PCF [:]
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I had BBA on my glosso. i find it tedious to remove one by one and so i removed all of them and done a rescape, i'm using only riccia to cover the entire ground, with some contours of slopes. just waiting for the riccia to grow and it'll be magnificent.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Mine is green in colour and grows thickly on one of my driftwood. It even bubbles lightly ! It's nicer than even my moss which is still brown in colour ! Some are growing on the black styrofoam background as well.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hwchoy

It is perfectly normal to have red-brownish fine hair (whatever you call it) from the stem of X-mass moss. It resemble the "root". If you tie your x-mass moss to drift wood, this fine little thing will anchor the moss to the wood. I don't have any problem with my x-moss moss, the "root" are always there and the moss grow as healthy as it would be.

However, if it is from other type of moss, eg Java moss, then it is something else.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I have those fine reddish brown hair on my x-moss too. Only the x-moss has, the rest on the plants are unaffected. So it is not BBA?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 5/3/2002 11:55:23 AM

Mine is green in colour and grows thickly on one of my driftwood. It even bubbles lightly ! It's nicer than even my moss which is still brown in colour ! Some are growing on the black styrofoam background as well.
    ----------------
    oh you have the green algae (chlorella), congratulations. If you can propagate give me some [:]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 5/4/2002 12:37:49 AM

I have those fine reddish brown hair on my x-moss too. Only the x-moss has, the rest on the plants are unaffected. So it is not BBA?

----------------
    hey kingpin, based on what cbph is suggesting this is OK! I don't get them on Java, only the xmas and local moss (looks similar to xmas). I'll see how it goes.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i hardly think congratulations is the operative word here

it should be algae
    i noticed this on my slower growing plants for my first attempt at strong lightning
    change water, manually remove affected parts and it should go away eventually