Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Duration for CO2?

Feedback Score

Duration for CO2?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    can i on my co2 for 24hrs at 1 sec per bubble in a 3ft tanks???cos i read different articles about it ,some say on 24hrs some say 8-12hrs,as i knoe that co2 will let the ph level drop then if i on and off everytime the ph level will keep changing then wont the fishes be stress???????

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It's possible, but the risk of CO2 poisoning at night will certainly be enhanced. On pH fluctuation, with a solenoid, pH is already at its lowest at the start of the day and gets higher as the CO2 is used up. So if you keep pumping CO2 during the night, the pH dip would likely be even greater each morning. Spare a thought for your fish and invest in a system with a solenoid. Dont' wait till you see em gasping at the surface in the morning.

Feedback Score
    wat is a solenoir

Feedback Score
    anyway i have not seen mt fish doin that in the morning

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    A solenoid is an eletrically-powered valve. Attach it to your light timer outlet and it will automatically turn on the CO2 supply when the lights are on, and turn it off when the light is out. It usually comes with the pressurised CO2 cylinder regulator, and isn't readily available for DIY CO2.

It's an investment, but IMO by far a better alternative to injecting unnecessary and potentially deadly CO2 at night.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Actually, it is more stable to have the CO2 on for 24hrs. when you off the Co2, the pH does not drop, it rises cos of the KH and the extra CO2 that you inject escape. pH rises when the light is on, only in cases where the CO2 is not enough and the plant grab all the available CO2 from the water.... a bit confusing.

it is ok not to have a solenoid as long as your fish are fine in the night. but personally, I feel that the CO2 is wasted. fish adapt to pH swings cos it exist in nature too. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    what I do is get a timer and turn on my air pump at when my lights are off. this outgasses the co2.

while hyou think this wastes co2. getting a selonoid is not cost effective:

eg: selenoid = $140 at cheapest I guess. but it breaks down after a year or so.

at a 4 mth cycle of $15 for each co2 refill at 24/7 usage, its still way much cheaper.