Country
    Singapore

ADA Amazonian Soil & Base Fertilizer

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hi everyone

can you guys share with me if it is necessary to use base fertilizer if i'm using ada? some lfs told me yes and some no. thought that it's better for me to hear views from bros who have tried ada. thank you for your help.
    don't worry, be happy

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hi there, i m currently using amazonia for my 2 ft tank. I do not use any base fert and my plants are still doing very well after 9 mths. So i believe you need not get anybase fert.
    However, if you do have the extra cash to blow, why not get base fert. It can supplement the ada. ADA is high in Fe, while base fert can add other nutrients. I recommend JBJ base fert as one cheap but good base fert
    Anyway rem not to let the base fert leak as it is easier for leaking when using ADA
    Holy is the Lord, God Almighty ! The Earth is filled with His Glory !
    90 x 50 x 50 cm tank: Eheim 2217; ANS CO2 Solenoid with 60mm intense bazooka; Zetlight 6400; Teco 500 Chiller; Borneo Wild Steel inlet/outlet
    Ferts: Dry Mixture/Dr Mallicks. Temp: 26 degrees Substrate: ADA Amazonia

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ADA recommends using AquaSoil with Powersand. Powersand is not really fertiliser, but it supposes to help in the growth. No worry of Powersand leaks to the surface, as I believe it is not harmful to the fish/plant.

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    power sand is sort of a base fert as it is quite high in nutrients for plant growth also. Just that it is a little ex.... like i said if you have the money why not blow it on them? not enuff, then JBJ or JBL. If lagi nothing then ADA is sufficient anyway you gotta always add liquid fert that is the more impt thing to add iIMO
    90 x 50 x 50 cm tank: Eheim 2217; ANS CO2 Solenoid with 60mm intense bazooka; Zetlight 6400; Teco 500 Chiller; Borneo Wild Steel inlet/outlet

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    thanks bro phillipians & lwm999 for sharing. what do you guys think if use ada with ocean free root monster (pellet type) instead of power soil or jbj aqua?
    don't worry, be happy

Feedback Score
    Country
    Australia
    if u intend to use it for more long term, do it with base fert. with just the aquasoil it will not last that long.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by ah^siao
    if u intend to use it for more long term, do it with base fert. with just the aquasoil it will not last that long.
    ah ha!!! base fertiliser (jbl aqua basis) will last longer compared to power soil. is that what you mean?

what about the ada? how many years can they last before we need to change?
    don't worry, be happy

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Nono, he didn't mean powersand.. He meant Aquasoil alone.

ADA Powersand and ADA Aquasoil were meant to be used together. Aquasoil alone is still okay though. According to a email from ADA, the substrate lasts for years depending on plant types used (speed of nutrients usage) so I'll say at least 2 years or so.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by |squee|
    Nono, he didn't mean powersand.. He meant Aquasoil alone.

ADA Powersand and ADA Aquasoil were meant to be used together. Aquasoil alone is still okay though. According to a email from ADA, the substrate lasts for years depending on plant types used (speed of nutrients usage) so I'll say at least 2 years or so.
    thanks bro terence. it's clear now. me still a newbie so sometime blurr blurr la........ am i right to say that when we always mentioned ada soil it's the ada aquasoil we are referring to? so the ada powersand acts like the fertiliser that should be placed on the base.
    don't worry, be happy

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yup you are right, aquasoil ADA is the top layer, normal gravel. The powersand acts as the base of the tank.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    No worries, at least you ask ma , better than those who believe everything the LFS says.

Yea you're right.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    What if after two or three years of planting high nutrients usage plants, then the substrate will become infertile? And plants then relie on liquid fert alone? Do one need to rescape and add base fert again? or just supplement with root monster or those Horti fert sticks?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Actually fertilising for the water colum is much important (crucial) then fertilising for the substrate.
    If I am not wrong, plants readily absorb fertilisers for their leaves, rather than roots. ( )
    Regards,
    Izzat

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by K11
    What if after two or three years of planting high nutrients usage plants, then the substrate will become infertile? And plants then relie on liquid fert alone? Do one need to rescape and add base fert again? or just supplement with root monster or those Horti fert sticks?
    Yes, the plants will reply on liquid fert alone for all the things they need.

People do it both ways to renew their substrate. Personally I'll start over, new scape

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by |squee|
    Yes, the plants will reply on liquid fert alone for all the things they need.

People do it both ways to renew their substrate. Personally I'll start over, new scape
    thanks for all your valuable feedback amd suggestions. bro terence, i'm only using LGA as the liquid fertiliser now. is this enough? what else do you guys use for fertilising?
    don't worry, be happy

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    LGA should suffice for low maintanence tanks. Let us know you tank specs + what kinda plants. Some plants demand more than others

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    If LGA gives you good growth and no algae issues, it's good enough isn't it?

I personally use loose ferts: KNO3, KH2PO4, Seachem Equlibrium, and traces. Seachem Excel might be a new addition to my fert regime too.

The bottom line for me is: whatever works. Who cares what is the so-called "best way"?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillipians
    LGA should suffice for low maintanence tanks. Let us know you tank specs + what kinda plants. Some plants demand more than others
    Tank specs as follow:

Size: 24x12x14 inches
    Light: 1x55w E-Ballast 8hrs daily
    Temparature: 26.5 to 28
    Fertiliser: 2ml LGA weekly (adviced by NA)
    Water change: 50% every 2 weeks
    Substrate: Lapis sand with fertiliser (cannot remember brand of fertiliser, it's the yellow container bought from Petmart)
    CO2: 1 bubble p/s

Plants:

Hemianthus callitrichoides (HC)
    Vallisneria americana var. biwaensis
    Saggis
    RTL
    Eusteralis stellata (Stella narrow leaf)
    Hygrophila difformis
    *planning to add in lots of E. Tenellus
    don't worry, be happy

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States
    Quote Originally Posted by lwm999
    ADA recommends using AquaSoil with Powersand. Powersand is not really fertiliser, but it supposes to help in the growth. No worry of Powersand leaks to the surface, as I believe it is not harmful to the fish/plant.
    No, this is incorrect, power sand does have fertilizer in it.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    there shouldnt be any issues for your tank using LGA, i think it should be enough. Maybe now you start adding according to what NA told you to. When your tank has settled and matured (2 mths +) you can add more for the plants. Hmmmm or alternatively you can continue adding as per normal increasing a little as the week passes. But not more than twice the recommended dosage.

And just to confirm, liquid fert is better alternative than base fert.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast