Images
    Country
    Singapore

Kh Up and Kh Plus

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Recently bought Kh Plus and earlier on i mixed the powder in a cup of water before pouring it into the tank. I noticed that the powder just won't clear up when i stir it in the cup unlike the Kh Up that i used previously. When i added it to my tank, the whole tank became very cloudy!
    I read the instructions on both the Kh Up and Kh Plus and its almost the same except for the "Plus" word. But when i measured the water after about 1hr, i noticed that the Kh is 1dkh higher than when i use the Kh Up using the same amount of powder.
    I'm wondering if it's because the contents are a bit different?

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Is that a Sodium Bicarbonate based buffer?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I think so. It's a white powder and it doesn't dissolve as easily as the Kh Up. Do they contain slightly different contents thats why one dissolve very easily while the other doesn't?
    I'm worried that it'll cause problems to the fishes when i use it again after my next water change. Now my tank got no fishes.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    It might be the case with the ingredients being different, but if it's a designated aquarium product then it should be safe for plants/livestock. You'll have to monitor PH/KH for a little while to avoid big swings.
    Many of us here use baking soda to raise KH.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I'm afraid that the cloudiness will cause breadthing problems to the fishes. Does baking soda dissolve easily in water? Pardon my stupid question cause i've only used Aquamedic Kh Up.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    It's better to dissolve it in a little bit (about 300-500ml) of dechlorinated water and then pour it in the tank, but it does dissolve easily.

Actually, if it's available in your area, I'd recommend Seachem Alkaline Buffer.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    That's what i did b4 pouring it into the tank. It's still vey cloudy even after rigours stiring in a little container. I bought it because the lfs only have the kh Plus and since the instructions says the same thing about increasing the kh I thought it's probably new packaging. Really regret.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I have just planted my tank and added fish (after 10 days water and substrate only, with filter runing). My Kh is 1.5 so trying to raise it. I am using Dupla Kh/Gh+. It has made my water cloudy also. I noticed the coment about Baking soda. Couple of questions...
    Does Baking soda also raise the PH? (my ph is currently 8 would prefer 7)
    What quantities do you use?

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    One teaspunful of baking soda will raise KH by 1d in 50 US gal. It will raise PH also. You need to start injecting CO2 to bring your PH down.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Anyone knows how much a bag of coral chips place in the filter will affect KH?
    Thx

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    That'll vary. Coral chips to raise your kH will mean that your kH, in someone else's words, is now a "moving target" that can rise and fall without warning.