Images
    Country
    Singapore

Public Aquariums

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    For some reason, big public aquariums are always a major attraction in cities where they are found, from those in Vienna to Melbourne to Cologne to Vancouver. In most of these institutions, the focus is very much on ecological and conservation outreach, and even when they have animals like dolphins and whales, the creatures are not made to perform unnatural acts, but placed in spacious displays where they can interact with each other and even breed. Much effort is put into setups and public talks about the animals and their habitats and also the threats they face. Also, the aquariums tend to have very good showcases of the habitats found in their country. At the same time, it's clear that tropical freshwater habitats are a big attraction.

My most recent aquarium outing is in vancouver and some pictures are linked below:
    here
    here
    here
    and here

An earlier trip was to Cologne, with pictures here.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I want a large tank so badly...

But the cost is staggering. Sigh.

How big are these public aquariums normally?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Pretty big... the one in Okinawa has a tank housing TWO whale sharks... the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago has a 90,000 gallon reef setup as well as dolphins and whales (+ a big Amazon river section)... those in Melbourne, Vancouver, Cologne cover an area at least as big as the Sentosa Underwater World I think.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    So far the most impressive aquarium I have seen is Monterey Bay Aquarium. It has a 1 million gallons exhibit, plus Kelp forest and Jellyfish.