Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Foreground Plants

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I am thinking of using either glosso or riccia for my foreground. As substrate is expensive, I intend to use it judiciously. Does any of these plants need substrate? Which of them will be easier for a newbie? Tks

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I would recommend riccia. Tried glosso, but it's very "fussy" in a way. Riccia is more easy, i started off with a tank with just riccia lawn. Just tie them onto a mesh, let it sink down can already. I did not have much substrate or base fertilisers. It's rather simple and grow fast under good light.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Glosso requires a substrate and very high lights for it to achieve it's real carpet effect.

Riccia is messy, and is difficult to sink.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    does the riccia float? my dad said he tried it and he says they float after some time.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yeap, Riccia floats. I've read about people saying how it's a pain to make it stay down by tying them with string/cotton thread/stones/whatever.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by |squee|
    Yeap, Riccia floats. I've read about people saying how it's a pain to make it stay down by tying them with string/cotton thread/stones/whatever.
    Yes, Riccia is really painful ... i have to re-net them every other month ... but they are really beautiful, esp when they bubbles... it's your choice, bro.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    If you don't want to use substrate, riccia and moss can be used as an effective foreground plant, even to achieve a tight carpet effect. As mentioned, using Riccia will require a bit more discipline as they will float up if you don't trim them and occasionally retie them. Moss sinks by nature and can also very impactful.

For a moss foreground, you can go check out Nature Aquarium's tanks. They usually have one or two that is done this way.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by ehlim
    I am thinking of using either glosso or riccia for my foreground. As substrate is expensive, I intend to use it judiciously. Does any of these plants need substrate? Which of them will be easier for a newbie? Tks
    How big is your tank? The substrate might not be as expensive as you think.

BC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    My very first planted tank, I used to have a nice lush lawn of Riccia foreground. I wrapped them(with those nylon stretchable nets) onto wire meshes, and just place them on the foreground. The lush pearling lawn are just beautiful.
    Be warned, when they grow so well that you need to trim, harvest or re-wrapped..... its real messy, you'll find riccia floating everywhere or stuck itself onto other plants like mosses. Even if you trim periodically, you need to take out the wire meshes which sometimes the riccia have grown and interlock each other with another mesh which when you remove one mesh some of its interlock riccia floats away.
    Anyway riccia is supposed to be a floating plant, rite?

As for glosso, have no experience, well will trying out soon but planted into substrate.

Comparing moss to riccia for carpet foreground, IMHO moss is easier to maintain, a low temp would make it look better. Ya, NA currently has a large moss foreground for its CRS, the tank that is facing the shop counter, very nice.

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    if you dont intend to spend money on base fert yet want a good foreground, i think moss is the best. Taiwan or christmas would suffice. But what are the dimensions of your tank. I have tried elatine tiandra before too, i think they are beautiful but require some space for it to show an effect
    Holy is the Lord, God Almighty ! The Earth is filled with His Glory !
    90 x 50 x 50 cm tank: Eheim 2217; ANS CO2 Solenoid with 60mm intense bazooka; Zetlight 6400; Teco 500 Chiller; Borneo Wild Steel inlet/outlet
    Ferts: Dry Mixture/Dr Mallicks. Temp: 26 degrees Substrate: ADA Amazonia

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    if u wan, i can spare some taiwan moss or glosso which are of extras. my glosso is doing fine, spreading laterally, but it seems like taking a very very very long time... i wonder if any supplements are able to make it grows faster..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Tks guys for the advice. As I intend to set up a 4x2x2, I am concern as I want to use quality (= big money!) fert. As I undestand it, good fert is required for new tank and it lasts 2 years. Is a nylon net the kind use for hair?

Tks Thirteen for the offer. Hope the offer is extended till I get my setup in December.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    if you want to do glosso, planting it itself is hard as its bagged up like tauge!!! very hard to plant it dunno bout keeping it cause jsut got it yesterday. hehee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by ehlim
    .....Is a nylon net the kind use for hair?......
    Hi this is the nylon net i'm talking about. Think used to wrapped those pomelo ones. Can get them NA, the aquarium beside NA or Yishun Aqua Star, or some hardware shop bah.

Cheers!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by ahkarboy
    if you want to do glosso, planting it itself is hard as its bagged up like tauge!!! very hard to plant it dunno bout keeping it cause jsut got it yesterday. hehee
    Erm, jus plant this glosso last nite, planting them dun seems so difficult for me, maybe its just a small area.

Cheers!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    WA! have fun trimming that man...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore