Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hottonia inflata and H. palustris

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi... Can anyone point out the fundamental differences between these 2 plants?

I have this Hottonia sp. and could not identify which is it...

Any information on this plant would be great!

Thanks!

Oh, wanna add that I've checked the books and the net... The pics look alike... Or they look VERY different... Some of the pics on the net has the leaves look like this strange plant with silvery fine leaves (like the plant on sale often at Polyart Aquarium, Clementi)...
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    Most of the time it will be hottonia palustris.. its most common.. inflata is native i think to north america.. and much harder to comeby and grow in the aquarium. Many Many peopl think they have inflata but actually its just palustris.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Read in a Taiwanese mag that Palustris can grow taller compared to Inflata. There is not much difference between the plants general appearance.

Cheers!

Hougang, Singapore / Tg Balai Karimun, Indonesia
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by kadios
    Read in a Taiwanese mag that Palustris can grow taller compared to Inflata. There is not much difference between the plants general appearance.
    Now your explanation makes sense to me, Kadios.

Dennerle's website listed H. inflata (H 15) as a slow growing, (3-4cm per month) stem plant with densely packed multi-pinnate leaves. That started my search for this plant to grow in my 20L nano. I finally bought some last Sunday from another forumer in Redhill.

Now, 5 days after planting, it has grown up its quota of 3cm and the leaves are not that densely packed--there's big internodal spacing. I think I got the palustris and not the inflata. Sigh.
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee

brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.
    Philippians 4:8

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You bought from Loupgarou? I got mine from him... My plants are damn slow growing... Some stems still do not have roots... Thing is pics from the Net shows the leaves of the H. palustris as more fine... So I am confused...

Anyway, heard that Hottonia spp. thrive on nitrates. Should I dose nitrates?
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Hougang, Singapore / Tg Balai Karimun, Indonesia
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Justikanz
    You bought from Loupgarou? I got mine from him... My plants are damn slow growing... Some stems still do not have roots... Thing is pics from the Net shows the leaves of the H. palustris as more fine... So I am confused...

Anyway, heard that Hottonia spp. thrive on nitrates. Should I dose nitrates?
    1) Yes, I got from Loupgarou
    2) I was confused too I think there is a misname for the plant called "Hottonia sessiliflora" http://plantgeek.net/plantguide_viewer.php?id=4
    3) Nitrates good. I give daily 7ppm NO3, 2 ppm PO4, high lights and CO2, temp high 28-29 degrees, but still appear to grow OK for week 1.
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee

brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.
    Philippians 4:8

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    There is no misname.. that plant is Limnophila sessiliflora
    .. not even a hottonia. If you want inflata in singapore i wish you good luck.. its DAM hard to comeby.