Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Drift Wood

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I read that sometimes newly added drift woods would taint the water. The article mentioned bleaching them. How should one go about the "bleaching" process? Is the article referring to those bleaching agents used in laundry? Is it safe to use drift wood found along the sea shore? Cheers.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Best not to use wood picked from beach,
    1. these are probably not the right type of wood, it's likey they will not sink,
    2. there's a heavy salt content,
    3. you never know what sort of chemical/ pollution it has absorbed and these will eventually leached into your tank.

It always safer to buy from LFS, regarding tannin that taint the water, with time these will go away, you can try boiling them also to remove the tannin.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    you should be able to use drift wood found along sea shores after treating it. you'll need to boil it and soak in clean water for a couple of weeks (frequent water changes). it may not be worth the hassle.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    In adition to that, anyone who says bleaching fresh wood will remove the "taint" is probably breathing in too much bleach... As bleach will merely kill any parasites or bacteria on the wood.

Driftwood you find at the beach is indeed usable, just make sure you boil the damn thing and leave it COMPLETELY immersed in water. Distilled if you have one of those tap filters. Do water changes for about a week(that's what I did) After which you it should be safe to be put into your tank. If you're feeling cautious(or evil) you can fill a throw a few fish into the bucket to see if there's anything wrong with the water.

Now, as for the "taint" you mentioned it's actually an acid that all rotting plant matter gives off. It will colour your water brown(think of it as peat) This may or may not be harmful to your fish(probably not). The brown colour will not affect anything, though some hobbyists like the effect(like me!) Once again. Bleach will have no lasting effect on the acid INSIDE the driftwoods' cells. So just save it for your clothes.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    dun bother bleaching it. jsut soak it in water for bout 3 weeks or it will leak a type of acid whcih will make your water yellow.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Soaking it for 3 weeks will help clear the acid for most driftwoods. Boiling it will speed up the process, provided you have a pot to spare. For me, I soak in a pail with hot boiling water and left it for 3 weeks. In between, when I replace the water, I use hot boiling water.

Ah Ben once told me this acid is harmless to the critters, in fact, it benefits them as it keeps the water soft (low pH), provided your critters prefer soft water. Thus its impact actually varies. If your critters prefer hard water, then it could be deadly for them.

I got a large driftwood from GenX. Was told to soak for a week as they have already soaked it for 1 month before putting it on sale. I soaked for 2 weeks to be safe. It has been more than 1 year inside my low maint shrimp tank and it's still leaking the acid. For me, I too like the taint effect and it helps to keep my pH at 6.8 with the help of coral chips.

Just like some people prefer daylight for their hall lightings while others prefer amber lights. It's up to you. Just be careful of the pH if the driftwood still leaks out acid after the soaking.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi All,

Managed to find a thread on DW.

Recently, i went to get back my DW, it was used by a fren to plant small garden plants, but since then it been left untouched, still in very good condition. Since i was going to have it in my 2ft tank, i wanted to clean and make sure its clean and safe for a tank.

So, i proceeded by soaking it in hot water, but the next day, i could see a white layer around the DW, only the parts that was submerse in the hot water had that whitish layer, the rest had normal DW colour(brownish). What is this white layer?

I used a old toothbrush and the layer was rather hard to remove, but some did come off. So i just replaced the water and continue soaking.

Anyone got advise if this DW is still usable?

Most appreciated!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Could be some kind of fungal reacting to the hot water. Should go away if you continue soaking it for a few more days. The whitish stuff is on the surface only, worst case scrap it off with a screw-driver or scraper.

btw, this plant nursery at Bedok South area that sells DW for $2 per kg. Think it is called Cheng Tai, gotta confirm again. It's entrance has a large section selling rare & exquisite orchids. The owner told me they brought in large container for decorating orchids, leftover selling cheap. And I think $2 is relatively cheap compared to LFS prices.

The DWs are kept underneath the potted plants behind the office. Ask the cashier if you cannot locate them. They have large and small pieces. I bought a large one (13kg), so far so good - sink well and only leach a little.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    please quarantine your DW... Bought some DW yesterday and place it on my shrimp tank right away... all DIED 4 hours later...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    betta, you gotta check your source carefully. Some DW are not meant for aquarium use. Although I bought mine from plant nursery, I always check with them when was the last time they spray insecticide. Just don't want any foreign chemicals in my tank. Yeah, you are right! All DW must be thoroughly quarantined or cleaned.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Quote Originally Posted by Ssur

So, i proceeded by soaking it in hot water, but the next day, i could see a white layer around the DW, only the parts that was submerse in the hot water had that whitish layer, the rest had normal DW colour(brownish). What is this white layer?

I used a old toothbrush and the layer was rather hard to remove, but some did come off. So i just replaced the water and continue soaking.

Anyone got advise if this DW is still usable?

Most appreciated!
    just continue the soaking with clean water. perform frequent water changes. clean any stuff that comes out/grow on the drift wood. keep at it for 3-4weeks, just to be safe.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Quote Originally Posted by betta_zoid87
    please quarantine your DW... Bought some DW yesterday and place it on my shrimp tank right away... all DIED 4 hours later...
    never introduce drift wood into you tank straight away. always soak it in water for some time (3-4 weeks).
    anyway, you learnt it the hard way.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    how about putting active charcoal bits in the filter to remove the discolouring?
    Ting

Planted Aquariums - endless exploration, endless experimenting...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    for me, activated carbon does not do anything for the tannins.......frequent waterchange is still the way to go..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by tawauboy
    never introduce drift wood into you tank straight away. always soak it in water for some time (3-4 weeks).
    anyway, you learnt it the hard way.
    yah... all crs died...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Wow! That must have burnt a big hole in your pocket!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Everyone,

Just need to clear my doubts, when you guys say soak the DW for at least 1-3 weeks in water.

Does this water have to be treated water? like with Anti-chlorine? or just straight from the tap?

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    just change the water everyday until its clear or stops turnin yellow. no need to treat it unless u wanna bleach it for the 1st day

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    even if you change the water daily for a few weeks, doubt you can stop the drift wood from leaching tannin. soaking it water will, hopefully, reduce/minimize the unwanted stuff.

and you need not bleach it. if you worry, just boiling it help a lot.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    what i always do is that i would always boil water and then pour the hot water over the DW in a pail, soaking them.

just with water will do, no need any anti-chlorine
    Quote Originally Posted by Ssur
    Hi Everyone,

Just need to clear my doubts, when you guys say soak the DW for at least 1-3 weeks in water.

Does this water have to be treated water? like with Anti-chlorine? or just straight from the tap?

Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast