Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Got my first Apistogramma!!

Feedback Score

Got my first Apistogramma!!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    My 3ft has finally stabilized, so got my first Apisto from Ben yesterday afternoon[] It's a Apistogramma cacatuoides. Think it's a triple red cos' tail, dorsal and anal fins are red. Wanted to get females too but was told females are hard to come by.

I just hope that it won't die on me. Anyway, this fella is not shy, exploring every corner of the tank. And the cardinals automatically move out of its way when it swims by. Now hands getting itchy, can i add other species in ? and how many max for a 3ft ?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    can safely put in another pair no problems if u want to breed them. How much did u pay for yr triple red?

Females last time hard to come by, now very easy to come by, cheap somemore.
    If u let me choose a double or triple red, i will choose a cross btw them.
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    you can get yr female cockatoo from H20.
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Paid $13. Females now easy to get ? Where can I go to get some ? Is the apisto agazissi var Alenquer available in here ?

Feedback Score
    heh heh busy composing my reply when you replied. Thanks for the lobang for the cuckatoo females

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    H20, Alenquear i not sure if H20 still has them but i know they have tefe blue and tefe Red.can consider.
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 5/9/2002 10:13:29 PM

H20, Alenquear i not sure if H20 still has them but i know they have tefe blue and tefe Red.can consider.
    ----------------
    How much? got pair?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    congrats!!! another victim [] .. ben, got no more females? I'm sure H20 has a female caca..

the prices for both tefe'blue' & 'red' is $30/35 each.. dunno if they still have pairs.. but its worth a try

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    when did i say no female caca? yes worth a visit. I mean For alenquear .
    Cheers!

Benetay

Hi guys,
    Sorry if I offend anyone out there but I need to ask. What is so special about this Apisto fish? Is it a new fish? Why does it cost so much..... compare to killi, discus and ram, they are not as beautiful and they don't swim together. Please enlighten me 'cause I'm thinking of getting a few if they are really that great. With $10 a pc, I would consider killi. Saw them in Gan but they look like normal fish to me. How many types are there and what's the 'kick' it has?

Thanks in advance.... I'm curious.

Dennis

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Firstly , apisto are classified under dwaft cichlid which means Ram are in them too. Discus also a kind of cichlids.

Basically they are not schooling fishes just like Rams. THose apisto at gan are some what less colourful if u are willing to pay a high price to it.

Apisto arn't new fishes.
    Yes, to be frank killies are nice but in an apisto keeper's eye nothing beats apisto.

Maybe u will like to visit Some website and view the pictures and it will definately open the scope of yr vision regarding this fish.

Its a nice fish, slowly they will unfold the colourations to you and pricing wise it's not as expensive as LH. They can be kept in a community tank peacefully when not in the breeding mood.

Rams will too turn aggresive once they are in breeding mood, so will apisto.
    It's a small,nice, colour fish to have. THe number of apisto species always increasing new founding of new species.

The "kick" in apisto is fasinating only those who keep will understand, cos it's beyond words can explian.
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    no offence taken[]

there r as many or even more species of apistogramma compare to killi/discus
    apisto & ram r dwarf cichlids.. each of us, has a reason y we like certain fishes.. for me, apisto is different.. they r small (dwarf) packed with an interesting character.. I have kept discus (heckel & tefe) and unlike them.. discus is a prominent feature in a fish tank.. they r big and very noticeable.. apisto in the other hand is small.. but dun lack the interesting character of any cichlid species..

those u see at Gan r all from the wild.. and those species he has now, dun really have an attraction to beginners... japanese hobbist pay $100+ jus for his apistogramma sp. 'rotkeil'.. becoz they r hard to come by

if u really want some attractive ones.. u can look into Apistogramma cacatuoides or Apistogramma agassizii, these 2 r usually the first few species which attract ppl to apistogramma

u can visit the site below for some visual example
    ApistoMania or Fishtank@home

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

A. sp 'rotkeil' same as the one found at Gan

A. gibbiceps.. oso found at Gan

check these out

A.@sp/trifasciata maciliensis@

A. trifasciata

A. cacatuoides

A. bitaeniata

A. borelli

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    see simon told you borelli nice what..........
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    no david, I'm jus showing dennis the diff species of apistogramma

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    nvm...maybe the ones in havelock still around........[]
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 5/9/2002 11:40:21 PM

Hi guys,
    Sorry if I offend anyone out there but I need to ask. What is so special about this Apisto fish? Is it a new fish? Why does it cost so much..... compare to killi, discus and ram, they are not as beautiful and they don't swim together. Please enlighten me 'cause I'm thinking of getting a few if they are really that great. With $10 a pc, I would consider killi. Saw them in Gan but they look like normal fish to me. How many types are there and what's the 'kick' it has?

Thanks in advance.... I'm curious.

Dennis

----------------
    Dennis, one more thing to add on is that, these little creature do show their own characteristic. Their behavious during mating is truly interesting to watch. Further to that, they are intelligent. [:]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    yup yup yup...

my sentiments exactly..

dunno how to put in words, but they grow on u..

each apisto has their own unique character, and apistoes as a community are fascinating to watch, especially during courtship and breeding..

i've kept rams before, no horse run with apistoes..

krkrkr.. in other words, apisto keepers are a class of their own. []

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi, i'm not a apisto-keeper but this's how i see them.

i'd never ever given apistos a second look cos back then, i used to stay away from all cichlids for their "agressive" nature.

then someone got me to check up on the apistos available at a lfs near my place. that's when i realized that despite having read so many books & magazines, spending hours on the internet checking up on fishes, i knew "nuts" about apistos and then i panicked a little.[]

at the lfs one evening, i'd to look closer in order to "report back to base camp", AND that's when i noticed their uniqueness! apistos have a type of beauty in their own ways. i'd noticed the "cockatoo" before cos i'd always thought cockatoos can only be found in birdshops![] then i noticed the "t-bar" that evening. in my opinion, they're unique and colourful.

so am i keeping apistos now? no lah, still not into cichlids yet. maybe some day...
    P-L-E-C-O-R-Y=M-A-N-I-A!!! YEAH!
    FLORENCE, capital of the region of Tuscany, has a population of around half a million inhabitants, spreads on the banks of the Arno, between the Adriatic and the Tyrrhenian seas, almost in the middle of the Italian peninsula. It is a city which bustles with industry and craft, commerce and culture, art and science.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast