Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: live rock surface start to have white substance

Feedback Score

live rock surface start to have white substance

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I just started my first marine tank. The water is a little high in salt contain 1.028 but slowly it coming down to 1.0265.

I am just running in my tank since last Sunday, on Tuesday I got about 12 kg of live rock and place in it too but last night some of the rock have whit substance on it now like fungus.

Anyone know it this alright to leave the rock in there or should I take it out to do some cleaning?

Feedback Score
    what is your size of your tank ? I hope you don't made the same mistake as mine. Go and read the topic i put in the forum. Many valueable comments and knowledge by other marine hobbiest can be found there. []

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I just started my first marine tank. The water is a little high in salt contain 1.028 but slowly it coming down to 1.0265.try not to go beyond 1.025. btw, what is the size of your tank??

I am just running in my tank since last Sunday, on Tuesday I got about 12 kg of live rock and place in it too but last night some of the rock have whit substance on it now like fungus. your tank is not matured.. chances are, your live rocks are dying.. those white substances are signs that the water quality has deteriored and there is a surge in ammonia which the filter could not support. and if u are to take it out, it will smell[] what is the filter method that u are using? canister, sump? btw, u need to mature your tank for at least 28 days if u are starting from scratch, sorry to inform u that....

take a look at this
    Setting up marine tank
    marine tank setup

i suggest u get a book to read first.. it will save u lots of pain and $$$..
    books

any other queries.. just post...
    []
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    .try not to go beyond 1.025. btw, what is the size of your tank??
    now it is down to 1.021 to 1.024 vary time to time not sure why, range from 28 degC to 30degC. mine is a 200L mp tank. 33"*15"*18"

your tank is not matured.. chances are, your live rocks are dying.. those white substances are signs that the water quality has deteriored and there is a surge in ammonia which the filter could not support. and if u are to take it out, it will smell[]
    yes i took out it dame smelly and i brush it under water now put back to tank seem fine now but not sure ok a not

what is the filter method that u are using? canister, sump? btw, u need to mature your tank for at least 28 days if u are starting from scratch, sorry to inform u that....

i am using mid canister ehem with one undergravel with powerhead flow rate at 500L/H and another undergravel with 2200L/H powerhead and output to a JEBO skimmer with strong 4 output airpump to 1 point and many fine bubble is coming out of it but nothing is skim for five days liao
    []

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    now it is down to 1.021 to 1.024 vary time to time not sure why, range from 28 degC to 30degC. mine is a 200L mp tank. 33"*15"*18"
    by right, the SG should be stablised. switch off your pump and let the water be still for a while.. then u measure it..that is if u are using a floating hydrometer. Alternatively, get a plastic gauge which cost ard $12-15. They measure the SG more accurately and there is a safety zone for u to play with. As for the temp, it is fine but try not to hit above 30 even though my tank had hit 22,8 degrees for the past few days due to the terrible weather

yes i took out it dame smelly and i brush it under water now put back to tank seem fine now but not sure ok a not
    well, i never tried brushing them under tapwater before but rather under saltwater. let me know the results [:]. Chances are the rocks may not make it as your tank is not matured but lets hope ok? [:]

judging from the size that u given me, your tank should be ard 2.5ftx1.25ftx1.5ft(LxBxH). It should be a customised tank right? in that case, your tank capacity should be ard 146 litres or ard 38.6 gallons. Which model of Eheim are u using?

i am using mid canister ehem with one undergravel with powerhead flow rate at 500L/H and another undergravel with 2200L/H powerhead and output to a JEBO skimmer with strong 4 output airpump to 1 point and many fine bubble is coming out of it but nothing is skim for five days liao

wait a minute, i dun understand this part...i am using mid canister ehem with one undergravel with powerhead flow rate at 500L/H and another undergravel with 2200L/H powerhead does that mean that u have 2 undergravel filtration?? does that means that u have 2 different outflow in 2 corners of the tank? anyway, i dun use undergravel filtration due to personal preference.

undergravel filter is great for fish-only tank but poor choices for reef tanks. Why? Reef tanks, there will be many live-rocks and corals in the way that you won't be able to vacuum most of the gravel and become a waste trap that cannot be easily cleaned. Another instant where an undergravel filter would not be the best choice is in a tank where the fish dig alot.... and stir up the sediment. if the digging exposes the filter plate, water will take the open pathway, rather than filter down through the gravel where the filtration takes place.
    "direct quote from 'the complete idiot's guide to Saltwater Aquarium' by Mike Wickham p.54"

As for the skimmer, dun worry abt it.. protein skimmer removes the wastes that normal filter can't remove like trace elements and other dissolved organic materials and if the waste liquid in the container is colourless, u just need to adjust the water flow rate and this phenomenon is common in new set-up.. so.. no worries.[]
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    [quote]
    ----------------
    On 5/13/2002 12:02:16 PM

by right, the SG should be stablised. switch off your pump and let the water be still for a while.. then u measure it..that is if u are using a floating hydrometer. Alternatively, get a plastic gauge which cost ard $12-15. They measure the SG more accurately and there is a safety zone for u to play with. As for the temp, it is fine but try not to hit above 30 even though my tank had hit 22,8 degrees for the past few days due to the terrible weather

yap i am using the plastic gauge "sea master" i think. will try to switch of the pump first thanks for advice. yes my tank hit 31 yesterday and down to 24 last night one of my ex coral is going to die liao.

well, i never tried brushing them under tapwater before but rather under saltwater. let me know the results [:]. Chances are the rocks may not make it as your tank is not matured but lets hope ok? [:]

all the rock is ok now look good already

judging from the size that u given me, your tank should be ard 2.5ftx1.25ftx1.5ft(LxBxH). It should be a customised tank right? in that case, your tank capacity should be ard 146 litres or ard 38.6 gallons. Which model of Eheim are u using?

it a 200L tank 3.3ft*1.3Ft*1.5ft(L*B*H) it a MP tank

wait a minute, i dun understand this part...i am using mid canister ehem with one undergravel with powerhead flow rate at 500L/H and another undergravel with 2200L/H powerhead does that mean that u have 2 undergravel filtration?? does that means that u have 2 different outflow in 2 corners of the tank? anyway, i dun use undergravel filtration due to personal preference.

no overflow system only powerhead with undergravel

undergravel filter is great for fish-only tank but poor choices for reef tanks. Why? Reef tanks, there will be many live-rocks and corals in the way that you won't be able to vacuum most of the gravel and become a waste trap that cannot be easily cleaned. Another instant where an undergravel filter would not be the best choice is in a tank where the fish dig alot.... and stir up the sediment. if the digging exposes the filter plate, water will take the open pathway, rather than filter down through the gravel where the filtration takes place.
    "direct quote from 'the complete idiot's guide to Saltwater Aquarium' by Mike Wickham p.54"

As for the skimmer, dun worry abt it.. protein skimmer removes the wastes that normal filter can't remove like trace elements and other dissolved organic materials and if the waste liquid in the container is colourless, u just need to adjust the water flow rate and this phenomenon is common in new set-up.. so.. no worries.[]

thank for advice

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    it a 200L tank 3.3ft*1.3Ft*1.5ft(L*B*H) it a MP tank
    ok.. what sort of filtration are u using? canister? if so, which model? or u just using undergravel filtration???[]

any problem.. just post again.[]