Country
    Singapore

Sphagnum Peat Moss

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,
    I need information on where to buy the above.
    I believe its sold in nurseries but most only carry the Horti Peat Moss.

Its good for lowering ph and softening water.. and very economical.
    It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Yorky,

Sphagnum peat moss is available locally but more in a dried moss-like form. It would better to use the Horti Peat Moss. Easy to handle. Another type of peat is coconut fiber peat, which we killie guys refer to as cocopeat. Also easy to handle but it does not acidify water as fast as the peat moss.

However if you still want to try the sphagnum peat moss you can find them at nurseries. They're a pale yellow colour, much like dried mosses. Also sold under Horti brand if I remember correctly. They tend to float alot.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk
    Hi Yorky,

Sphagnum peat moss is available locally but more in a dried moss-like form. It would better to use the Horti Peat Moss. Easy to handle. Another type of peat is coconut fiber peat, which we killie guys refer to as cocopeat. Also easy to handle but it does not acidify water as fast as the peat moss.

However if you still want to try the sphagnum peat moss you can find them at nurseries. They're a pale yellow colour, much like dried mosses. Also sold under Horti brand if I remember correctly. They tend to float alot.
    stormhawk, then those dark brown are coco peat ah?
    Nicholas

Newbie en el cichlid enano

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Which dark brown type? Horti Peat Moss is usually quite dark colour with alot of sediment, especially bits of minerals added in since its meant for plants.

Cocopeat tends to look a little more like a lighter shade of brown. However it has alot of fibres trapped in the bricks and it expands when it has absorbed water. I use this at home for breeding my annual killies.

As for sphagnum moss, its a pale yellow colour much like dried moss which I stated earlier.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Stormhawk, thanks for the information.
    The reason why I am looking for Sphagnum Peat Moss is that it is able to acidify and soften the water effectively.
    Does Horti Peat Moss have the same effect and most importantly, safe for fishes?
    It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Horti Peat Moss works very much in the same way, but you'll have to either boil or microwave it first to make it safe for the fishes. The problem with Horti Peat Moss is that it contains small amounts of minerals meant for plants, so you'll probably have to sift through the peat after every boiling to remove all of the unwanted items.

It would be more advisable to rely on "ketapang" leaves or aquarium-grade peat moss like Sera's peat pellets or Eheim's Ehfitorf if safety is of paramount concern to you. I've used both coco-peat and horti peat moss with my killies and have no problems but your mileage may vary.