Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Electrical Requirements

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I am a goner when it comes to electricity. I have not bought all the equipment but am wondering whether 2 x household power points (I believe they are rated for 13 amp?) sufficient to power:

a. 1 x Eheim 2028 filter
    b. 1 x light combo ( 4 x 54 watts T5s)
    c. 1 x submersible pump
    d. 1 x presurrised CO2 sys (with solenoid)
    e. 1 x ph controller
    f. 4 x fans for the plants

Possible of adding a 1/5hp chiller (future plan, lah) to the above? Tks.

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    I use one power point out to x4 three-pin cable extension. on this x4 three-pin cable extension, there is one Ehiem 2028, 3 x 36W lighting on Timer, one air pump and one fan.

It works for me.

I will recommend you have the chiller connect direct to the wall socket which is the household power point (u mean that right?)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Tks Colin. Yes, the house point refers to the wall socket. Cheers.

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by ehlim
    Tks Colin. Yes, the house point refers to the wall socket. Cheers.
    no problem

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes the chiller is advisable to connect directly to the wall sockets 13amps for itself if you're worried.

Your setup shouldn't cause you any problems. It should all add up way below 13Amps..

Currently i've 7 x 36watts, 2 x fans , 1 x dry cabinet, 1 x hanging filter, 1 x 2026 , 1 x rena airpump, 1 x mini vacuum, 1 x radio, 1 x charger, 1 x house fan.

Problems don't feel any...

Last time i run 2 x MH , 2 x external filter, 2 x CO cylinder and i'm scare. Shouldn't pose any problems if you're worried just do a simple calculation.

P = I V

Power as in wattage?
    I as in current
    V as in voltage. Normally its stated in the equipment the Amps or watts so add them up together and see if it overshoots 13amps. My best bet is not there yet..
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Smile

Tks Benetay for the info and assuarance. Much appreciate.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi,

Always use power extension cord from the house sockets. Try to avoid using mulit-socket plug to tap from the sockets, or in the worst scenario ,cascade them together, they are proven fire hazards.

tango
    Adopt all unwanted neon & cardinal tetra

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by ehlim
    I am a goner when it comes to electricity. I have not bought all the equipment but am wondering whether 2 x household power points (I believe they are rated for 13 amp?) sufficient to power:

a. 1 x Eheim 2028 filter
    b. 1 x light combo ( 4 x 54 watts T5s)
    c. 1 x submersible pump
    d. 1 x presurrised CO2 sys (with solenoid)
    e. 1 x ph controller
    f. 4 x fans for the plants

Possible of adding a 1/5hp chiller (future plan, lah) to the above? Tks.
    (a) 25W
    (b) 216W
    (c) 5W ?
    (d) ?
    (e) ?
    (f) 4W ?

total less than 300W.

Should be OK. Our 13A plug with 220V can handle 2860W (Watts = Volts x Amperes) theoretically. Of course we don't test the limit.

I am having 457W (12 x 36W PL + 25W Eheim + some DC fans) on a heavy duty multi-socket extension to a single socket on the wall.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    nothing to worry about.
    though the plug/socket is rated at 13a, they are built to handle much higher power rating.
    the electrical cables supplying the wall socket can easily handle 20a without problems.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The issue about using the same power point for many tank equipments is not about overloading. Most of our tank equipments only use electrical current of less than 3A. With a normal wall socket rated 13A max, that can allow you to have many equipments from the same point.
    The real issue is when using multi socket or extension socket. Some of these sockets have build-in fuse. Some are rated only 5A. When using multi socket or extension socket, make sure you know the max current these sockets can take so as not to everload them.
    Yes, there are multi sockets or extension sockets which do not have build-in fuse (usually the cheaper ones & those not PSB-approved). But these sockets have their max current limits too. Over that limit, the parts/cables used to make the sockets will give way. Be sure you know what is the max current limit before using.
    Another less-known issue to many people is electrical arching. It is electrical spark caused by loose connection. Too many equipments joined to a muilti socket will make the multi socket slightly tilted (due to the overall weight). This tilting will make the pins not fully in contact to the wall point & thus can result in electrical arching. Make sure the is also no loose connection between the equipmnet power plug to the main socket.
    Even loose wiring connection within out light casing can cause electrical arching. So, if you find your light flickers or sparking sound is heard, get it rectified.
    Electrical arching, power overloading & faulty equipment are some of the main causes of fire hazards.
    Remember, electricity kills. Don't make this wonderful hobby a disasterous ending.
    Last edited by Barbarik; 2nd Dec 2005 at 01:41. Reason: spelling errors